Appropriate things to bring to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LouisianaDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of med school for a few years, and am applying for 2012 residency. My pursuits have been academic since finishing school, and I have a couple of (medical related) textbooks that I had a hand in writing. Would it be appropriate to bring these to the interview to show them to the PD?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been out of med school for a few years, and am applying for 2012 residency. My pursuits have been academic since finishing school, and I have a couple of (medical related) textbooks that I had a hand in writing. Would it be appropriate to bring these to the interview to show them to the PD?

No. I'm sure that he'll believe you without you bringing them as proof. Nor will he have much time (or inclination) to read them right then and there.

Don't bring articles or textbooks that you wrote. Just bring a copy of your CV, maybe a copy of your personal statement (although even that is iffy), a portfolio, and a purse if you're a girl. Everything else is overkill. I don't even recommend a briefcase for a guy, because it's clunky and will get in your way.

As stated above, no need to actually bring copies of your publications (otherwise candidates would all be bringing copies of their journal articles, abstracts, posters, etc.). Be prepared to discuss them, of course, and just make sure they're properly cited on your CV.

As stated above, no need to actually bring copies of your publications (otherwise candidates would all be bringing copies of their journal articles, abstracts, posters, etc.). Be prepared to discuss them, of course, and just make sure they're properly cited on your CV.

Concur with this advice.

Why would I need to bring my CV or personal statement?

I was just gonna bring a pen.

What about photos? Our school did professional sittings for us for the ERAS photo and told us to order wallet sized photos. Do we actually need them? I haven't ordered any.

What about photos? Our school did professional sittings for us for the ERAS photo and told us to order wallet sized photos. Do we actually need them? I haven't ordered any.
I've had a few residency programs request that we bring photos with us to the interview, b/c they want a recognizable photo, rather than a crappy black and white version printed off eras.

I've had a few residency programs request that we bring photos with us to the interview, b/c they want a recognizable photo, rather than a crappy black and white version printed off eras.
The photos in ERAS are high quality, and can be printed on a color printer. Any complaints by programs are due to their own issues, not ERAS.