Appropriate to attach letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my fall grades.... and did well in every class except human phys.

Would it be appropriate to attach a letter saying that I had bronchitis 4 weeks out of the year, and all of my professors were accomodating of the situation, except my human phys professor?

To me, it sounds whiny and like an excuse.... but I don't know how else to explain my lower grade in the class.

PS this is for Indiana whom, when i called, said they would grant me an interview as long as my fall grades were good.

Any input would be appreciated. Or if you think wording the letter a different way may help?

It is not a lie or an excuse but simply the truth... but I can DEFINITELY see where the committee would probably just say... "uh..OK... yea.. right."

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Don't be that person with an excuse, be responsible for your grades!

I think there has been a slight grade decrease due to many people leaving for interviews :idea:

I just got my fall grades.... and did well in every class except human phys.

Would it be appropriate to attach a letter saying that I had bronchitis 4 weeks out of the year, and all of my professors were accomodating of the situation, except my human phys professor?

To me, it sounds whiny and like an excuse.... but I don't know how else to explain my lower grade in the class.

PS this is for Indiana whom, when i called, said they would grant me an interview as long as my fall grades were good.

Any input would be appreciated. Or if you think wording the letter a different way may help?

It is not a lie or an excuse but simply the truth... but I can DEFINITELY see where the committee would probably just say... "uh..OK... yea.. right."

Thanks guys

well, how exactly were your other professors "accomodating"? Did they let you write the exam after you got better? Defer your exam? Re-weight your grade? Give you bonus marks?

It might help if you explain that. Also, if you have a legitimate medical concern, then it's not really up to your professor is it? wouldn't it be up to the dean of your faculty?..that's how it is at my school anyway..

Also, your school should have an ombudsperson if you feel you've been treated unfairly..so take it to them

Members don't see this ad :)
well, how exactly were your other professors "accomodating"? Did they let you write the exam after you got better? Defer your exam? Re-weight your grade? Give you bonus marks?

It might help if you explain that. Also, if you have a legitimate medical concern, then it's not really up to your professor is it? wouldn't it be up to the dean of your faculty?..that's how it is at my school anyway..

Also, your school should have an ombudsperson if you feel you've been treated unfairly..so take it to them

Most of my professors weighed the stuff I did during my illness less (under the condition that my final exams went well)......not sure what to do.. I had a doctors note and gave it to all my professors...

either say nothing and look as if I did bad in the class... or say something and look like im making an excuse...

What's going to happen if you get sick for 4 weeks during dental school? Will your grades drop too if you can't be accommodated for by the professors? Is it fair of the professors to weigh grades differently/allow later test dates for one student who just happens to be sick? If you attach a letter explaining your sickness, this is what the adcoms will ask themselves.

Agreed. You're responsible for your grade no matter the circumstances. Even if you include the letter, they will probably still feel the same about your grade in the class and it will just make you look like you're trying to make excuses.

What kind of grade are we talking here, bad grade as in a B or C or C+ or A-, a bad grade means different things to different people.

well personally i wouldn't say that in a letter..if u had to say something like that i would do it by phone...i would directly speak with an admissions officer in that regard...but ya also depends wat u got.. u dont wanna come out and being seen by them that ur just making an excuse for wat u earned.

Yes, I think you guys are right. I'm just going to send my transcript and see what happens. I did great in biochem so maybe that will balance it out?
If its not meant to be ... its not meant to be...

Ok... so after deciding not to attach the letter, a newproblem arose.

Since Indiana requires a grade be posted on the transcript I send them (doesn't need to be official) I am not sure if I have the option to make the grade pass/fail. I am considering sending this transcript... and notifying them that the grade will be changed to a P rather than what it is. (So my GPA isn't affected.... my GPA would have went up without this grade...but has remained exactly teh same with it).

The professor emailed me over break and mentioned that he wishes he had tried a little harder to accommodate me during being ill.... but that he is willing to petition to make it a P. So... this means that there will be a discrepancy between what transcript I send them now, over break, and the one they receive from AADSAS.

Should I call and attach a letter so they don't think I'm doing shady business? Sorry to keep asking... I just don't want to attach a letter if it is going to sound like im making excuses... but I want to be sure they know i"m not sending something that is "fake"

Ok... so after deciding not to attach the letter, a newproblem arose.

Since Indiana requires a grade be posted on the transcript I send them (doesn't need to be official) I am not sure if I have the option to make the grade pass/fail. I am considering sending this transcript... and notifying them that the grade will be changed to a P rather than what it is. (So my GPA isn't affected.... my GPA would have went up without this grade...but has remained exactly teh same with it).

The professor emailed me over break and mentioned that he wishes he had tried a little harder to accommodate me during being ill.... but that he is willing to petition to make it a P. So... this means that there will be a discrepancy between what transcript I send them now, over break, and the one they receive from AADSAS.

Should I call and attach a letter so they don't think I'm doing shady business? Sorry to keep asking... I just don't want to attach a letter if it is going to sound like im making excuses... but I want to be sure they know i"m not sending something that is "fake"

I would wait until the grade gets changed to being P/F and then send out the transcript. I think it would look bad if they see the grade and then see that it has been changed to P/F. Can you wait?

I would wait until the grade gets changed to being P/F and then send out the transcript. I think it would look bad if they see the grade and then see that it has been changed to P/F. Can you wait?

Yeah, I want to .. but they require that a grade be posted for it to count towards my required courses..... so I am hoping they understand why I would change it.... bc they are hte only school that requires it...