Appropriate to mention spouse/children during residency interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent9839

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know interviewers can't directly ask you about your spouse/children in interviews, but is it frowned upon to mention them at all (like maybe in the "Tell me about yourself" question? I'm married, currently pregnant, and planning to go into psychiatry. I know my school's residency program is very family friendly and psychiatry is known for being one of the more family friendly fields, but I wouldn't want to say anything during an interview that is considered a "don't talk about that" topic. I would like to be upfront with programs as I wouldn't want to go to a program that has a problem with me having a baby. I plan to work just as hard as any other resident, so I don't want it to come off in the wrong way, but I do think that is something important about me/my life.

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, you're fine to talk about it. Might you run into a weirdo who doesn't like it? Maybe, but you're more likely to get interviewed by someone with a family who will sympathize and appreciate it. They only don't ask because they can't. They'd probably love to make smalltalk about it.