• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Appropriateness of a thank you card?

futrdrbaker

No place like home...
10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
    Hello! I am 2 weeks into my first 3rd year rotation, and am really loving it. My interns are great and the attendings are outstanding. I know it is early and my opinions might change, but I'm wondering if it is appropriate to send thank-you cards to the residents/attendings at the end of a rotation. I have mixed feelings about it--I want to send them b/c they have done a wonderful job teaching and really making me excited about their specialty (Psych), but on the other hand, they will be evaluating me and giving me a grade, so I don't want the cards to come off as a bribe or something.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Pox in a box

1K Member
    10+ Year Member
    Jan 8, 2005
      futrdrbaker said:
      Hello! I am 2 weeks into my first 3rd year rotation, and am really loving it. My interns are great and the attendings are outstanding. I know it is early and my opinions might change, but I'm wondering if it is appropriate to send thank-you cards to the residents/attendings at the end of a rotation. I have mixed feelings about it--I want to send them b/c they have done a wonderful job teaching and really making me excited about their specialty (Psych), but on the other hand, they will be evaluating me and giving me a grade, so I don't want the cards to come off as a bribe or something.

Offer to mow their lawns and buy them dinner too. On the last day of the rotation, buy them Starbucks and for Christmas purchase a nice bottle of wine with a red bow around it and personally deliver it to their house.

In all honesty, if other students see this, you're going to be labeled for the rest of your medical school career.

NoOneKnows

Just an afterthought....
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 10, 2005
      Candy land
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Go ahead and send them a thank-you - as long as it's not over the top. I send a thank-you to most of the attendings or residents that I trained under (would try and do all, but I don't have the time sometimes). A lot of people in my class do the same. Seriously, it's not a bribe - it's just a card. I'm sure the docs would like to know that they are appreciated. :)

About the Ads

Pox in a box

1K Member
        10+ Year Member
        Jan 8, 2005
          NoOneKnows said:
          Go ahead and send them a thank-you - as long as it's not over the top. I send a thank-you to most of the attendings or residents that I trained under (would try and do all, but I don't have the time sometimes). A lot of people in my class do the same. Seriously, it's not a bribe - it's just a card. I'm sure the docs would like to know that they are appreciated. :)

Seriously? I consider this a little too much.

Aug 17, 2002
          Christchurch, NZ
          emlitofnote.com
          1. Attending Physician
            I have never known anyone to send a thank you card to any attending or resident following a rotation.

If they were particularly helpful, and you had an absurdly good experience, then it might be appropriate, but just for your run-of-the-mill rotation participants, it could easily be construed as "a little weird."

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
            Verified Expert
            15+ Year Member
            Jan 21, 2006
            1. Attending Physician
              futrdrbaker said:
              I'm wondering if it is appropriate to send thank-you cards to the residents/attendings at the end of a rotation.

Your mother must've raised you right. ;)

Seriously, though...there's absolutely nothing wrong with sending a thank-you card. There is one pitfall, however...if you worked with several people, and you don't send all of them a card, somebody could end up feeling slighted.

Sending one to the chief resident (or whoever was in charge of your rotation) is probably enough. If you want to thank some of the others, it would probably be safer to do so personally.

KidDr

10+ Year Member
              7+ Year Member
              Jul 16, 2004
              someplace warm
              1. Attending Physician
                futrdrbaker said:

hey--I'm a senior peds resident. I've gotten thank-you e-mails from many of the students who've been on my teams, and I think that's a nice way to show your appreciation. I got a card once and it felt a little weird and over the top, but maybe that's just me. If you're worried about them thinking you're trying to brown-nose or something, just wait a few days until after the rotation's over, and send it then. Often times (though not always) your residents will have evaluated you by that point. I can't speak from an attending perspective on this though.
                :luck:

gunit07

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Jun 11, 2005
                  i think it depends on what school you go to. at my school everyone would roll their eyes at that. and then vomit. (there isnt a vomit smiley?? :( )
                  also, dont you get to write evals of these people at the end of the rotation? if i really liked an attending/resident i would just write them really really good evals.
                  one time i thought one of my interns was so good that i emailed his program director and told him what a fantastic job he did - but only because i didnt get to do a formal evaluation, and i thought he deserved some recognition.

but yeah, totally depends on the atmosphere of the school you go to.

futrdrbaker said:

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  15+ Year Member
                  Apr 24, 2002
                  wherever I go, there I am
                  1. Attending Physician
                    I sent thank you cards to all of the non-academic attendings I worked with on elective rotations. I figured it made sense because it wasn't part of their job to teach me for that time--they all volunteered to do so without compensation. It takes time out of their regular workday to have a student tagging along asking questions.

I made a point to send them after evaluations were done.

M

Mr. McDuck

gunit07 said:
                      (there isnt a vomit smiley?? :( )

puke.gif

About the Ads

that dr. jack

Captain Bringdown
                      7+ Year Member
                      15+ Year Member
                      Aug 5, 2003
                      i'm on yur floor, runnin yur list
                      1. Resident [Any Field]
                        since when is sending a freaking thank you card a bad thing? you guys put too much thought into this.

send the card, OP, make it sincere and succinct, and don't let anyone else's bitter aversion to being considerate get to you. most people can tell the difference between having class and brown-nosing.

futrdrbaker

No place like home...
                        10+ Year Member
                        Jun 16, 2004
                        San Antonio, TX
                          footcramp said:
                          so you're one of those

If by "one of those", you mean someone who is thankful and considerate towards those that take the time to teach and teach well, then yes, I am "one of those." And if you think that is a bad thing, well, not everyone agrees:

KentW said:
                          Your mother must've raised you right. ;)

Thank you everyone for your opinions/comments. I see that some people agree with me, and for those that don't: think/say what you will about me as a person, but maybe it is people like you that will make my thank-you emails all the more welcome.

futrdrbaker

No place like home...
                          10+ Year Member
                          Jun 16, 2004
                          San Antonio, TX
                            that dr. jack said:
                            since when is sending a freaking thank you card a bad thing? you guys put too much thought into this.

send the card, OP, make it sincere and succinct, and don't let anyone else's bitter aversion to being considerate get to you. most people can tell the difference between having class and brown-nosing.

Very well said! Thank you very much!

SurgeryChef

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Feb 2, 2006
                            1. Medical Student
                              futrdrbaker said:
                              Thank you everyone for your opinions/comments. I see that some people agree with me, and for those that don't: think/say what you will about me as a person, but maybe it is people like you that will make my thank-you emails all the more welcome.

so why did you both to ask for others' opinions if you a) already knew what you were going to do and b) reject what advice they gave?????????

futrdrbaker

No place like home...
                              10+ Year Member
                              Jun 16, 2004
                              San Antonio, TX
                                SurgeryChef said:
                                so why did you both to ask for others' opinions if you a) already knew what you were going to do and b) reject what advice they gave?????????

It wasn't that I already had my mind made up, but I was leaning that direction to begin with. As for b), I am not rejecting the advice--rather, I welcome it. It's just that I don't think it's fair for some people (ahem, 'Pox in a box', 'footcramp') to start attacking my character b/c I asked a simple question. Opinions, welcome. Personal attacks, not.

that dr. jack

Captain Bringdown
                                7+ Year Member
                                15+ Year Member
                                Aug 5, 2003
                                i'm on yur floor, runnin yur list
                                1. Resident [Any Field]
                                  SurgeryChef said:

because the alternative was taking advice from someone who thinks a thank note is over the top and yet whose nom de plume is "surgerychef". either he can't spell or digs the bovie smoke a bit too much.

About the Ads

pinkfrosting

10+ Year Member
                                  Jun 30, 2006
                                  1. Medical Student
                                    You might also want to consider doing a team note from all of the med students on the team that month. We did this in one rotation so that way the thank you is from everyone and it's "less weird." Still, I don't see anything wrong with a thank you note from only one student. I know several residents who have gotten them and appreciate them.

BlackNDecker

Paid da cost 2 be da bo$$
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    7+ Year Member
                                    Jun 8, 2005
                                    Pole Position
                                    www.swolehead.com
                                      futrdrbaker said:
                                      ... I'm wondering if it is appropriate to send thank-you cards to the residents/attendings at the end of a rotation...

I am assuming you're a girl...otherwise, if you're a guy then you're gay. Really really really gay. Either way, I would make fun of you...alot. Anytime we were in a room with more than 3 people I would bring it up.

futrdrbaker said:
                                      I have mixed feelings about it--

Those mixed feelings are the last vestige of your heterosexuality trying to exert some influence. Heed it.

leadfoot

10+ Year Member
                                      Jun 27, 2006
                                      1. Medical Student
                                        BlackNDecker said:
                                        I am assuming you're a girl...otherwise, if you're a guy then you're gay. Really really really gay. Either way, I would make fun of you...alot. Anytime we were in a room with more than 3 people I would bring it up.

Those mixed feelings are the last vestige of your heterosexuality trying to exert some influence. Heed it.

Please do not make comments like this. This would be seriously be grounds for expulsion. Not to a student, attending, janitor, truck driver, astronaut, no one. Everyone is always listening, and viewing these things. Do not jeapordize your medical career via comments. We are held to a higher standard than most.

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        15+ Year Member
                                        Feb 27, 2003
                                          Honestly unless you had an unusually good relationship with an attending, I don't see the necessity. On the other hand, I think it could only help you...it is easy to underestimate the value of a thank-you card after a busy day.

BlackNDecker

Paid da cost 2 be da bo$$
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          7+ Year Member
                                          Jun 8, 2005
                                          Pole Position
                                          www.swolehead.com
                                            leadfoot said:
                                            Please do not make comments like this. This would be seriously be grounds for expulsion. Not to a student, attending, janitor, truck driver, astronaut, no one. Everyone is always listening, and viewing these things. Do not jeapordize your medical career via comments. We are held to a higher standard than most.

You're a loser :thumbdown: What the heck are you talking about anyways?!? I suggest a sphincterotomy...you're a little too uptight :rolleyes:

wakemewhenit'so

10+ Year Member
                                            May 12, 2006
                                              Should the attendings and residents send us thank you notes for not being brats or difficult students, e.g. if you happen to make their load easier and not harder? I don't think so. Doubt it's ever been done ...ever, unless the attending was in sexual pursuit of the student. Doesn't mean it's not appreciated ifyou're a helpful, non-problematic student, just that it's not appropriate. Just like, in my opinion, it's not appropriate in the case of a student to pander... I mean, write a thank you.. to an evaluator. Only reason why I would think people would do it in spite of the fact that it's not appropriate is because they're motivated by personal gain. (Do these same people write thank you notes to the mailman, the security guard who says cherry hello's in the hallway???)
                                              A great teacher or a nice person will be rewarded in other ways. IMHO. :)

RustNeverSleeps

Walker, Texas Ranger
                                              10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Aug 12, 2004
                                              1. Medical Student
                                                carrigallen said:
                                                Honestly unless you had an unusually good relationship with an attending, I don't see the necessity. On the other hand, I think it could only help you...it is easy to underestimate the value of a thank-you card after a busy day.

I don't think it could "only help." I would think that there are a fair number of people who think that a thank-you in such a circumstance card is brown-nosing or subtle manipulation in hopes of getting a better grade. I think an email is a safer bet -- it's a little less formal, and seems more appropriate. Also, I would think if any of the OP's classmates found out, s/he would get a relatively unfavorable reputation, as this would seem like extreme gunner-ism without knowledge of the situation.

seansoutherland

5+ Year Member
                                                15+ Year Member
                                                Apr 15, 2004
                                                  I sent a thank you e-mail to all of the residents and attendings for one segment of my rotation, even though I knew that they had nothing to do with my final evaluation (so they said, at least). I was aware that I wouldn't be judged until the final two weeks by a different set of people. Nonetheless, I felt grateful for the insight I was given with regard to "learning the ropes" on my first rotation. I admit, rather hesitantly, that I have been aloof after spending entirely too much time studying and being devoid of human contact. I asked for their input so that I would be ready for gametime, and they were quite candid. I needed it and have grown as a result.

randomedstudent

10+ Year Member
                                                  7+ Year Member
                                                  May 5, 2006
                                                  1. Attending Physician
                                                    Pox in a box said:
                                                    Offer to mow their lawns and buy them dinner too. On the last day of the rotation, buy them Starbucks and for Christmas purchase a nice bottle of wine with a red bow around it and personally deliver it to their house.

In all honesty, if other students see this, you're going to be labeled for the rest of your medical school career.

At my school some students actually do these things. There are students who have been known to bring in starbucks for their entire team several times on a rotation. I think it is completely ridiculous, and you will get labeled by fellow classmates if you do these sorts of things.

Bertelman

Maverick!
                                                    Feb 12, 2006
                                                    Had a Cooch
                                                    1. Attending Physician
                                                      Whatever you feel you need to say in a "Thank You" card, you can say it in person.

I'm gonna second this notion. There's really no need to send a Thank You card to someone you have seen every day for 4-6 weeks. Just tell them how you feel on the last day of the rotation, or any other day for that matter. I guess an email is acceptable though.

I can understand if your school provides you with said cards (previous post), because you can assume that everyone else is doing something similar. Otherwise, keeep it simple and FREE!

They're kind of supposed to be teaching you and inspiring you. As Chris Rock says, "Don't take credit for sH** you supposed to do"

About the Ads
                                                      This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                      7. This thread is locked.