Approve/Deny my plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bersa380

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just took physics2 this semester and got a C in it.
I also got a C last semester in genetics. My first was in chem2 my freshman year. I'm a third year now and I'll be taking physiology2 next semester. In the spring, I'll be taking an easy courseload while studying for the MCAT. After I graduate, I plan on retaking chem2, physics2, and genetics over the summer. I also plan on throwing in microbiology in there as well as possibly anatomy. These post-graduation classes will be taken at a community college at the same time I'll be submitting my application.

Changes?

Members don't see this ad.

I also got a C last semester in genetics. My first was in chem2 my freshman year. I'm a third year now and I'll be taking physiology2 next semester. In the spring, I'll be taking an easy courseload while studying for the MCAT. After I graduate, I plan on retaking chem2, physics2, and genetics over the summer. I also plan on throwing in microbiology in there as well as possibly anatomy. These post-graduation classes will be taken at a community college at the same time I'll be submitting my application.

Changes?

Are you retaking them to improve your grade?

I dont think it will help you too much having a better retake grade, from a community college especially.

If you got a C the first time, then retake it at a community college and do better...sure you got a better grade, but the validity of the grade will be questioned. I would ask you "why did you retake the class?", "the course was probably easier the second time around since you knew the material.", "why did you decide to take it at a community college?"

What is your overall and science gpa?

I think you need to focus on the good in your app and not try to correct the bad.

I had a C as well...I think it was Organic II.

Its not the end of the world, but retaking classes until you get an A is like taking the MCAT over and over until you hit a 30

i tend to agree here. i would spend more time getting extracurriculars and clinical experience in order rather than upping that GPA by 0.05. my GPA/MCAT was not stellar, but my EC's were and that made the difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
My EC's are awesome. It's where I shine (and where all my time goes).

My GPA is what stinks. I've made nearly all B's in my science courses except for those 3 C's. That's why I want to retake them. I also want to retake them at a community college because it's cheaper.

My sGPA is easily below a 3.0 right now. My overall will probably be around 3.3 or 3.4 by the time I graduate.

Changes?

Taking courses at a community college won't help. First of all, the coursework is not any easier... and so if you had trouble with it the first time, you're going to have the same trouble. In addition to that, it would make your application much stronger to take the coursework and do well in it at a school with a very strong reputation for its pre-med or science curriculum. You want to show that you are challenging yourself and excelling, not that you are just taking the easy road... because medical school is a challenge and they want to see that you are up to it. Also, I wasn't sure if you had listed all of those courses for the summer, but my suggestion would be to stick to 2 required courses for the summer... and you can always throw in some volunteer work or a part-time or a full-time job.

My GPA is what stinks. I've made nearly all B's in my science courses except for those 3 C's. That's why I want to retake them. I also want to retake them at a community college because it's cheaper.

Well, it won't hurt to retake the classes in which you didn't perform well. AACOMAS will only count the most recent retake into their GPA calculations, therefore giving you the appearance of an increased GPA. This will probably benefit you at first. Schools will look at your overall/science GPA and your MCAT score and place you in an initial pile. You may get an interview.

However, at some point, they will take a closer look at your academic record and see that you didn't perform well on some of your prerequisites. This is when they might ask you to address this phenomenon in your interview. You need to then provide evidence to prove that you are in fact a great student despite your previous marks and that you are able to do well academically in medical school. How you do this is entirely up to you. A good way is to demonstrate your academic prowess by solidly trending A's in more advanced undergraduate science classes for a few fulltime semesters, or more, at a university. You can point to this as evidence that you are, in fact, a strong student. There are other ways. I will leave this to your imagination.

Good luck!