Approximate date range when MD schools could be looking at completed secondary applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Microtubules

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With AMCAS delaying transmission of primaries to July 10th, is there a realistic approximate date range for when medical schools will be looking at completed secondary exams?

I currently have a 510 MCAT score so I know I'll get secondaries. However, I am considering pushing my retake date from June 5th → June 20th because I want some time to breathe between submitting my primary (day it opens), taking CASPer and taking my MCAT. So if I test on June 20th, I'd receive my score on July 21st.

I would like schools to see my updated MCAT score before making a decision regarding whether or not I get an Interview Invite. Would receiving a score back July 21st vs July 5th be impactful on trying to be as early as possible? Considering my 510 MCAT, do I have the luxury to take it June 20th so I can have some space to breathe without impacting my application?

I know things are rather up in the air so I don't expect definitive answers but any advice would be helpful! Thank you, hope everyone's staying safe.

Edit: Just saw the MCAT update. Guess that answers my question :vomit:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't understand, if MCAT score is ok why take exam again! Test is more money, score can decrease. Not good idea? Help me understand!!

I don't understand, if MCAT score is ok why take exam again! Test is more money, score can decrease. Not good idea? Help me understand!!

Unfortunately I had serious health problems my first two years of college which greatly impacted my GPA. Although my issues were “legitimate” in the sense that there is tons of official documentation that can corroborate the diagnoses from doctors I saw from around the country, from my understanding, medical schools won’t give you a break because everyone has struggles.

Fortunately I did come out strong and there’s a drastic turn around in my GPA. My sGPA and non-science GPA junior and senior year were both 3.9+. However, with my bad grades from freshman and sophomore year, my cumulative sGPA is 3.57 and cumulative GPA is 3.66. I’m only applying MD Schools and I am an ORM, which I’m not sure how impactful it is, but seems like it’s something to consider when determining your competitiveness for medical school.

Also I see you‘re an anesthesiologist. Just wanted to say this is one of my top specialities (I know it’s a little early but I can dream haha) so I hope to be one someday!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I had serious health problems my first two years of college which greatly impacted my GPA. Although my issues were “legitimate” in the sense that there is tons of official documentation that can corroborate the diagnoses from doctors I saw from around the country, from my understanding, medical schools won’t give you a break because everyone has struggles.

Fortunately I did come out strong and there’s a drastic turn around in my GPA. My sGPA and non-science GPA junior and senior year were both 3.9+. However, with my bad grades from freshman and sophomore year, my cumulative sGPA is 3.57 and cumulative GPA is 3.66. I’m only applying MD Schools and I am an ORM, which I’m not sure how impactful it is, but seems like it’s something to consider when determining your competitiveness for medical school.

Also I see you‘re an anesthesiologist. Just wanted to say this is one of my top specialities (I know it’s a little early but I can dream haha) so I hope to be one someday!!

Anesthesiology is definitely a great specialty (to me it's the best!)!! It is good you know at this point in your career. My goal of becoming an anesthesiologist was biggest motivation to be excellent in college and go to medical school and finish well.

Medical schools want excellent candidates that can finish the curriculum and represent school with excellent graduates. And to be able to stay 4 years to pay all the tuition!!

Yes MCAT can filter applicants, but if as you say you will get secondary applications with your current MCAT, then the next most important is your GPA. Improving MCAT might not make up for issues with GPA, but your GPA looks good to me!!

Only you can decide what is best for you. Is ORM that "affirmative action" policy against you because of race? Everyone should be treated equal!! I always felt discrimination against me because I am from Arab world. I hope it is not very important in end. Good luck!!

July 21st will make no difference. Even if this were a normal application cycle, getting a score back on July 21st wouldn't negatively impact your decision. People say as long as you submit before the end of July, you'll be in the first wave of applicants reviewed. With things being pushed back 2 weeks, this will be even more of the case.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Many medical schools won’t finalize their prior class until late July or early August as they deal with student movement on waitlists. Just aim for secondary applications to be in by Labor Day and you will be in great shape.

With AMCAS delaying transmission of primaries to July 10th, is there a realistic approximate date range for when medical schools will be looking at completed secondary exams?

I currently have a 510 MCAT score so I know I'll get secondaries. However, I am considering pushing my retake date from June 5th → June 20th because I want some time to breathe between submitting my primary (day it opens), taking CASPer and taking my MCAT. So if I test on June 20th, I'd receive my score on July 21st.

I would like schools to see my updated MCAT score before making a decision regarding whether or not I get an Interview Invite. Would receiving a score back July 21st vs July 5th be impactful on trying to be as early as possible? Considering my 510 MCAT, do I have the luxury to take it June 20th so I can have some space to breathe without impacting my application?

I know things are rather up in the air so I don't expect definitive answers but any advice would be helpful! Thank you, hope everyone's staying safe.

Edit: Just saw the MCAT update. Guess that answers my question :vomit:
Why are you retaking a perfectly good score???? This will bring your judgement into question.

BTW, secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not pathologically naive.

@Goro can you explain "BTW, secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly optimistic, if not pathologically naive." , do you mean that secondaries are not that important or am I drawing the wrong conclusion from this?