apps numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Floss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, does anyone know how many applicants there were for 2003 cycle? or where I can find that info out?

Members don't see this ad.

I was curious about this number as well, but I doubt the exact figure will be published before next year or the year after that. If you check the ADEA's webpage under the Center for Education and Policy Research, they have published article or study about the year 2000 applicants. Go check it out, it's pretty cool.

They list everything even the DAT counts, and this matters because it affects the next years application number. The year 2000 applicant number was 7770 and the DAT count was on its way down from the year 1999 to 2000, which means the year 2001 applicant was lower than 7770.

Anyway, after reading this article, I get the sense that number of applicants to dental school has been on the decline, but the quality of the applicants has been going up (in term of GPA and DAT). Kinda weird huh. I guess if the kids these days feel they can't make it, they don't even waste their money.

Fewer DAT takers than applicants???

That is an odd statistic. I guess people could have had DATs that were taken prior to their application year, but I am sure there were also people who took the DAT "to keep their options open" or who bombed it and decided to not apply.

Something like 57,000 take the MCAT the past few years, yet only about 35,000 end up applying to at least one school. The same can be said for other professional tests, such as the LSAT. Way more take it than actually apply.

However, could this be an indication of a major drop in apps to come? It would seem to make little economic sense. The decrease in DATs could mean that there are fewer prospectice applicants for next cycle.