April 15th Narrowing Down to 3 Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EileenX

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have had the fortune to be accepted into several MSTPs and have 3 programs over the next 3 weeks I am planning on visiting informally to see which one I like the best. I have also been accepted MD at a program and waitlisted for their MSTP. If I were to come off the waitlist, I would attend that program for sure. Do I have to narrow down to three schools by April 15th? If so, if I would prefer any of the MSTPs over the MD program, would it look bad if I did not include the MD only acceptance/MSTP waitlist school as one of my three if I am still hoping to come off of it?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have had the fortune to be accepted into several MSTPs and have 3 programs over the next 3 weeks I am planning on visiting informally to see which one I like the best. I have also been accepted MD at a program and waitlisted for their MSTP. If I were to come off the waitlist, I would attend that program for sure. Do I have to narrow down to three schools by April 15th? If so, if I would prefer any of the MSTPs over the MD program, would it look bad if I did not include the MD only acceptance/MSTP waitlist school as one of my three if I am still hoping to come off of it?
Just to clarify, you are considering 4 programs, 3 of which are MSTP and 1 of which is MD-only (but you are on the waitlist for MSTP admission)?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will need to withdraw from one of your MSTP acceptances or the MD-only program. These are hard choices... if you decide to withdraw from the MD-only program, make sure that you clearly communicate to the MSTP director in a deliberate manner that you are withdrawing from their MD-only program because of your strong conviction that you want to pursue MSTP training. In addition, indicate that you have 3 other MSTP acceptances (could even name them), but that you feel that their MSTP is a better fit with your skillset and it is your top choice. Indicate 3-5 potential mentors, preferably those who have trained MD/PhD students and are currently funded (check NIH reporter).

Reactions: 1 user
I’m pretty sure when your narrow it down to three that means you have to formally withdraw from any other school you are holding acceptance. You technically have an acceptance from the MD only program so you might need to withdraw the acceptance but ask to remain on the WL for the MSTP. You should probably reach out to the MSTP program you are waitlisted to confirm though. I think you could risk having all your acceptances rescinded if you don’t comply to traffic rules.

Reactions: 1 user