April 2004 MCAT studying progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

good_faith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please start writing your study progress.
This weekend I will read Chapter 1 of Biology and Physics.

Members don't see this ad.

I am working on the EK set, about 1/3 done on all sections......also Im trying to do two topics a day so I dont get bored.

Anyone else using EK?

been listening to EK AO- they're ok, i guess.

started TPR this week. i'm very strange...i'm a bio major and i'm very good at verbal, but not so good at the two science sections...wtf? oh well. one comment so far: the formulaic, carved-in-stone approach that they demand you use in verbal and writing (mainly writing) sucks balls. i suppose that they have to teach something, but their advice doesn't do a damn thing for me. most of its geared toward people who claim that they score low in verbal because they run out of time before they can finish the section. if you don't have that problem, you just imagine your instructor naked for 2.5 hours (my is a very tasty young lass :horns: ). just my opinion, though. i suppose they know what they're doing, right?

registred for the MCAT today:scared: :scared: :scared:

right now i'm reviewing microbiology-classification of prokaryotes, which is actually kinda fun :D physics will be a different story though :(

Members don't see this ad :)
:oops: took the day off from mcat studying.

so far this is what I have found...

Solution chemistry---haha, no clue. I dont remember doing this in gen chem last year.

solids in physics-- bernoulli, pascal. ugh. too man damn equations

equilibrium and torque---- i hate these with a passion.

Its so funny cause my DAD is a PHYSICIST!!!! why didnt I get his awesome physics genes. introns. all because of the introns

+pity+

on the brighter side, I rock at verbal thus far :)

Originally posted by vegangirl
:oops: took the day off from mcat studying.

so far this is what I have found...

Solution chemistry---haha, no clue. I dont remember doing this in gen chem last year.

solids in physics-- bernoulli, pascal. ugh. too man damn equations

equilibrium and torque---- i hate these with a passion.

Its so funny cause my DAD is a PHYSICIST!!!! why didnt I get his awesome physics genes. introns. all because of the introns

+pity+

on the brighter side, I rock at verbal thus far :)

hehe
you sound just like me...i have absolutely no clue in physics (even after studying it for 3 years in highschool and 1 year in college). and my dad has a PhD in it :wow: and according to him you don't even have to study it, physics is just obvious :rolleyes:

wht do ya'll think? ......studying text is better or studying the mcat prep notes that the prep classes give?? ....I think the prep class notes are breif and to the point...... the texts just go on for ever!! any takers?? OH OH!! anyone takin the EK Audio Osmosis for a trip?? I heard they're real helpful.....got a lil bit of Bio done.....never took anatomy/physiology in coll.....findin bio tuff as hell!!

ONE more guys.....are ya'll taking one section for a stretch of time or do ya'll mix and match with your sections

And anyone willing to post your study schedules??...mayb a weekly or a monthly?? thanks!

After reading everyones progress for studying for the April Mcat, I feel so behind on my studying progress. :'(

This weekend, I am planning to take 3R AAMC full length test from E-mcat.
Then I will know where my weak area. I decided not to take any prep course. Ohoo..

I took the MCATS last April and I say to people that if torque was on my physical sciences section, i would never have gotten accpeted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by princessd3
What's so bad about torque?

It's just one of those areas of physics that I was never able to grasp. I had just finished doing a torque passage when I posted my original comment. The passage kicked my butt. :(

Today is Friday, so I take a time off from studying. I will resume my studying tomorrow.
Have a wonderful weekend every one!

:D

I second that!!

I'm going to think warm thoughts and have a good night. :hardy:

Hope y'all do the same

I am not a big fan of the whole pH, pka1, pka2 stuff in Gen Chem.

I love physics in general - coming from an engineering background.

Biology is fascinating....

To all of you worried about your progress, take heart in that there are always people like me.

I took physics 3.5 years ago. Orgo? 4.5. Bio? High school AP. Chemistry? 5.5.

I took the MCAT about 3.5 years ago, but man, going through all of this stuff again has been painfully slow.

Good luck!

Originally posted by redgrover
To all of you worried about your progress, take heart in that there are always people like me.

I took physics 3.5 years ago. Orgo? 4.5. Bio? High school AP. Chemistry? 5.5.

I took the MCAT about 3.5 years ago, but man, going through all of this stuff again has been painfully slow.

Good luck!

why may i ask r u retaking the MCAT after all these years?

Does anyone have advice on how to build up stamina for the MCAT? I studied for 2-3 hrs, did a couple of passages here and there, then I got tired easily and kept getting a bunch of Q's wrong b/c of short attention span? Stopped b/c don't want to waste the practice materials.

after week 1, i have now gone through

bio: ek 1 and 2 (+corresponding kaplan)
gc: ek 1 (+corresponding kaplan)
phy: nova 1, 2, 3
oc: ---

now that school has started, im going to do 1 EK chapter/wk in bio and gen.chem and 2 nova chapters/wk in physics.

i think ill hold off on ochem until late february though since its not too much material, or at least thats what i think.

why may i ask r u retaking the MCAT after all these years?

I guess you could stay I still had more of the world to see and more of myself to find. I worked for a few years in Europe. Moved out to the west coast for another year. Just took some time to do the things I'd always wanted to do.

It was worth the doing. Now it's time to get down to business.

Originally posted by redgrover
I guess you could stay I still had more of the world to see and more of myself to find. I worked for a few years in Europe. Moved out to the west coast for another year. Just took some time to do the things I'd always wanted to do.

It was worth the doing. Now it's time to get down to business.

I'm in the same boat, got a decent score a few years back and need to retake. I've got a freash new attitude about the exam now that I hope pays off in a very good score in May.

Originally posted by pyau03
Does anyone have advice on how to build up stamina for the MCAT? I studied for 2-3 hrs, did a couple of passages here and there, then I got tired easily and kept getting a bunch of Q's wrong b/c of short attention span? Stopped b/c don't want to waste the practice materials.

I don't really think you can wast the material. In fact, it seems to help me the most after 2-3 hours. This is how the real test is going to be. Personally, I read textbook material for 2 hours and do the questions for each chapters (this seems especially useful for organic) and then after 2 hours start with the standard MCAT style questions. At this point, I'm not all that enthused about it, but it really seems to get better and better each time I do it.

But no doubt, the stamina for the test is the toughest part I think.
My 2 cents.

I have been reading the science section, but haven?t started verbal.
I should begin practicing verbal.

i ahve the mcat 2000 book. i saw the one for 2003 but the material (and diagrams) were pretty much the same. i will buy the practice tests (from aamcas) in a month. right now i will jsut keep studying with the (BIG!) kaplan comp book.

i've gotten through the first parts of physics, general chem, verbal, and organic chemistry...i'm currently reading biology..

i love g. chem and physics (though physics is whipping my butt!!)

i've been more diligent within the past two weeks..i make an attempt to go to the Kaplan center, either to review or take a practice test, just about every day of the week...

i'm still very very tired after work...but the hard work is worth it :)

you guys make me nervous. i haven't really done anything. all i've done is take two practice tests. i did okay on the first and should hear back about the second in the next few days.

i REALLY need to get the kaplan comprehensive book or something already.

i'm contemplating not going on spring break anymore, though, in which case i could get a LOT of studying done over that week. and i also wouldn't kill all those brain cells drinking myself to death for a week straight.

a lot of my classes from last term and this term overlap with material, though, so some of the stuff is fresh in my mind. at least that is what i tell myself to make me feel better about not actually studying yet. :laugh:

I have been following the Kaplan schedule for studying. We just got our diagnostic test and I got a 25 (7PS 9V 9BS). I think it is pretty good for taking it without any review at all. I plan to do every practice item that they have in the Kaplan library to maximize my score. The hard work will pay off in the end, I just know it!

Originally posted by Shades McCool
I have been following the Kaplan schedule for studying. We just got our diagnostic test and I got a 25 (7PS 9V 9BS). I think it is pretty good for taking it without any review at all. I plan to do every practice item that they have in the Kaplan library to maximize my score. The hard work will pay off in the end, I just know it!

Good for you. My diagnostic test was much lower than that.
I will work hard to increase my score.

Anyone else stressing out yet?

My plan currently is to get through the physics section by feb 11. When I do that I will have reviewed all the sections in the kaplan book and will start doing nothing but practice problems to see where I am weak at.

Right now I am feeling my weakness in bio but amazingly strong in physical sciences (I sort of thought I would have forgotten it all by now).

Diagnostic scores (3r):
Verbal 10
Bio 9
Physical 9

Originally posted by Shades McCool
I have been following the Kaplan schedule for studying. We just got our diagnostic test and I got a 25 (7PS 9V 9BS). I think it is pretty good for taking it without any review at all.
That is very good; well done!

I plan to do every practice item that they have in the Kaplan library to maximize my score. The hard work will pay off in the end, I just know it!
Instead of just doing the Kaplans, be sure to do AAMC practice items and ESPECIALLY AAMC III-VI full-lengths. These are free to you at the local Kaplan center. You need to see VR and PS materials written by someone other than Kaplan.

It is more important to carefully review your answers than to do every practice item. Choose carefully and use your time and energy efficiently.

For those of us still in school, What kind of class loads do you have? It's my last semester so I'm taking it easy with 10 credits including one class that I'm doing pass/fail. Everyone else taking it easy with MCAT and all?

I'm taking it pretty easy this quarter: embryology, history of Broadway, and chorale. I was also enrolled in statistics, but I dropped that.

I'm not in school anymore and I don't even have a job.
I'll be living like a hermit studying 10-12hrs/day until the exam on April. My kaplan prep-class starts tomorrow!!!

i've taken 2 practice tests so far like i said before. i got a 24 on the first and a 25 on the second. i'm going to take another this saturday and hopefully i'll do a little better. i really have a ton of stuff to review before i can start getting scores that are actually good. i'm only in orgo I right now and won't take orgo II til after the mcat, so i don't think that is really helping either. but oh well, if i actually start studying for real i will be good to go. i just need a little more motivation.

:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Okay... I figure from here on I'll be really serious about studying for this test. My ochem book will be here next week so that'll give me a good amount of time to get the concepts down solid.

I'm not a big fan of going all the way to the Kaplan centers to take the subject tests, so I printed them out (all the subject tests up to bio 1). Tomorrow morning and part of sunday morning, the tentative plan is to barracade myself to a part of my house (away from distractions) and go through everything.

Sounds like a good enough plan. No way am I studying tomorrow night. I need to be like this :hardy: . and HECK NO to sunday night... I gots superbowl parties to hit up.

Hi,

Does anyone know how much materials on genetics will be on the MCAT? I took the test 2 years ago and am not too updated on the modifications on the newer version. I only know that the PS section is moved up. Thanks! Good luck studying! :)

From what my Kaplan instructor said, the Bio section is divided as follows -

Approximately-

35% Orgo
30% Genetics
35% Other Bio

Scout

Originally posted by raom_dtpi
From what my Kaplan instructor said, the Bio section is divided as follows -

Approximately-

35% Orgo
30% Genetics
35% Other Bio

Scout

Thank you so much, Scout! Good luck w/ everything! :)