April 24 2013 Step 2CS Score Report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RCA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just came across this thread. I received my score back April 24th and I also failed. I took the exam in Philly. I was very shocked as I felt like I did not make that many mistakes to fail. I called the NBME and asked them if they could give me any feedback on what exactly I was deficient in but I was told they don't break the scores down any further than what they have already done. I think it's a bunch of crock that they charge the amount of money they charge for the exam and they can't even tell you what you did wrong. What exactly is the point of the exam then? I was going to do a score recheck but after reading what they do, I did not even bother. Just a waste of money for them to tell you that you really failed. This is the silliest exam ever.

:thumbup:

also score recheck came back and still didnt pass

btw are you us or img/fmg ? jw

I am an american med student. Did the score recheck at least give you more info on what exactly caused you to fail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in the US for 15 years and I am an AMG. Took it in Philly on december and I found out that I failed on feb. Took it again on march and passed and thank god I can go to residency that I matched
I failed SEP portion and believe me I was shocked. I have no problem conversing in English and Took MCAT and did well in SAT in high school and I went to 15 residency interviews and five of interviews were psychiatry residency and PDs and attendings had no problem understanding me during interview.

I do not think SPs are looking for good accent and pronounciation. They want to know if u can speak clearly only. When I failed, I spoke very VERY loud

CIS portion: never ever use hard medical terms. when you do the closing, do not give definitive diagnosis. Instead of saying CHF say thing like "your heart is weak"

I went to NYCS prep in manhattan. The instructors know in details. it is three day course but they make you practice practice a lot.
(i am not promoting the product, but i will say this is the most reliable program.

IMG here. Just found out today that I failed CS on the CIS portion. A friend of mine that took it with me on the same day at the same site also failed the CIS portion. We took it on april 12, 2013 in Atlanta.

I am US born and my communication and interpersonal skills are impeccable. I can't believe this is happening. My step 1 score was not as high as I wanted it to be, and now this. What an awful ordeal.

I sent my score recheck today, although I doubt anything will come of it.

IMG here. Just found out today that I failed CS on the CIS portion. A friend of mine that took it with me on the same day at the same site also failed the CIS portion. We took it on april 12, 2013 in Atlanta.

I am US born and my communication and interpersonal skills are impeccable. I can't believe this is happening. My step 1 score was not as high as I wanted it to be, and now this. What an awful ordeal.

I sent my score recheck today, although I doubt anything will come of it.

Hi same here. Feeling like bullcrap. Can u tell me how do we apply for recheck .Can it be done online or through post?

Wow I just came to the Step 2 forums, and I am stunned that the CS is whooping people left and right. I was always under the assumption that this exam was just a formality to see if you can speak passable English. What in the world is going on...

Wow I just came to the Step 2 forums, and I am stunned that the CS is whooping people left and right. I was always under the assumption that this exam was just a formality to see if you can speak passable English. What in the world is going on...

They raised the failure quota (on IMGs heavily). PDs will know whats going on, when 40% of the applicants have an attempt on CS, it just looks suspect.

Last edited:
Even I took CS in Philly on 25 march and failed in ICE with borderline. Another friend of mine who took CS in Philly and got the result in Feb failed in ICE with borderline performance. After reading all the previous posts, I cannot agree more that there is something wrong with the grading at Philly because even mine and my friend's exam went well and we both even have high performance in CIS and SEP. One of the members has mentioned in one of the posts previously about few students filing a lawsuit against NBME and passing CS plus 25 k USD. Is that true? If yes, can we all unite and think about it:confused: It looks like the last ray of hope for students like us who don't even know why we failed :( waiting for suggestions!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even I took CS in Philly on 25 march and failed in ICE with borderline. Another friend of mine who took CS in Philly and got the result in Feb failed in ICE with borderline performance. After reading all the previous posts, I cannot agree more that there is something wrong with the grading at Philly because even mine and my friend's exam went well and we both even have high performance in CIS and SEP. One of the members has mentioned in one of the posts previously about few students filing a lawsuit against NBME and passing CS plus 25 k USD. Is that true? If yes, can we all unite and think about it:confused: It looks like the last ray of hope for students like us who don't even know why we failed :( waiting for suggestions!!!

It was 4 students, I can confirm one for sure was an IMG (if not all 4). They settled out of court with NBME. After failing, they were told almost a year later they had in fact passed the first time. I believe some had already matched after a retake of CS. It affected their overall application outcome and possibly their career.

NBME just wants money. Consider it your 'dues' for ultimately practicing in the US. Most (reasonable) PDs will start to look at CS in that very way.

Thank you CDI. Could you also tell me in which year did this happen?
I read in few forums that once in 2005 something similar happened and many students were failed. However it later turned out to be some computer programming error and the results were changed. As most of us who have failed took our exams in Philly, can we all come together and think of doing something about it:confused:
If even 2-3 students are ready, we can try talking to NBME and take it from there.

Thank you CDI. Could you also tell me in which year did this happen?
I read in few forums that once in 2005 something similar happened and many students were failed. However it later turned out to be some computer programming error and the results were changed. As most of us who have failed took our exams in Philly, can we all come together and think of doing something about it:confused:
If even 2-3 students are ready, we can try talking to NBME and take it from there.

I believe it was '09 or '10. I personally don't think its even worth fighting.

The usual timeline of CS failure:
1. Take exam.
2. Find out you failed. Further fall victim to score recheck scam. ECFMG gives generic responses to all correspondence.
3. Lose all confidence, get depressed.
4. Consider lawsuit. Find no help.
5. Sign up for CS again.
6. Pass exam.
7. Apply for match. (Explain failure if asked.)
8. Match.
9. Forget about CS failure. Life goes on.

Its NBMEs chosen method of "legal discrimination" over IMGs for another $1400. Nothing more, nothing less. There's absolutely no way this many IMGs many who were born and raised in the US and have been to their own physicians and hospitals are as incompetent as this exam makes it seem.

CS filters for interviews will definitely hurt some. Luckily once you're in the interview and the PD meets and speaks with you, it shouldn't way in too heavily in the final decision.

Now what happens to that money...is another question in itself.

Last edited:
I also failed in Philly sometime in the March 20s.
I'm looking for a lawyer, I really want to get to the bottom of this, it is really ridiculous.
They do video-record all of the encounters. There should be an independent board that we can appeal to.

I also failed in Philly sometime in the March 20s.
I'm looking for a lawyer, I really want to get to the bottom of this, it is really ridiculous.
They do video-record all of the encounters. There should be an independent board that we can appeal to.

Instead of paying the lawyer, just pay NBME their $1400 and move on. Lawsuit really wont go anywhere.

Instead of paying the lawyer, just pay NBME their $1400 and move on. Lawsuit really wont go anywhere.
I just paid.. Now I have to wait to get the confirmation e-mail.
It's such BS. How do they not tell you how or why you failed?
And it didn't seem like the "actors" knew what the hell they were doing, and they're the ones grading us.

It was 4 students, I can confirm one for sure was an IMG (if not all 4). They settled out of court with NBME. After failing, they were told almost a year later they had in fact passed the first time. I believe some had already matched after a retake of CS. It affected their overall application outcome and possibly their career.

NBME just wants money. Consider it your 'dues' for ultimately practicing in the US. Most (reasonable) PDs will start to look at CS in that very way.
Any idea who the lawyer was in this case?

I took the step 2 cs and think I screwed up on the PN. I didn't follow directions. Instead of writing pertinent positives and negatives to SUPPORT my hypothesis in the diagnosis section, I put pertinent findings that both support or RULE OUT the diagnosis. I know there is a announcement about this in the USMLE website but I unfortunately didn't read it. Has anyone else had this problem? and do you think it will be cause for failure?

PS worst test on the planet, sorry to hear all the grief ya'll are going through.

I took the step 2 cs and think I screwed up on the PN. I didn't follow directions. Instead of writing pertinent positives and negatives to SUPPORT my hypothesis in the diagnosis section, I put pertinent findings that both support or RULE OUT the diagnosis. I know there is a announcement about this in the USMLE website but I unfortunately didn't read it. Has anyone else had this problem? and do you think it will be cause for failure?

PS worst test on the planet, sorry to hear all the grief ya'll are going through.

Same here-- took mine yesterday. I have always been told a pertinent negative goes against a dx so that's what I did. Eg: in a dx of mono a pertinent neg on hx is "no LLQ pain" or on physical "no LLQ tenderness to palpation." I'm really hoping its no big deal because it's all consistent with the typed hx and pe... So it should be obvious that we know what we're talking about.

I just got my failing results on the step 2cs on the CIS part and in shock.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There were no signs of any problem in communication during the exam and I have lots of experience and very good communication skills.

This is very important question : Has anyone appealed and got actually to pass the test after rechecking? I am considering to recheck but it takes 6 weeks. The other option is to take it again and it will take forever+ 1700$. If anyone succeeded in this re-check please let me know and please advise how. Please if you have any knowledge-share it. Mostly Obliged R.

I am IMG. I took exam in Chicago, and I failed in CIS. I did closure and counseling in each case. No idea what went wrong, and frankly, I don't trust these results as they don't provide any disclosure. I will take it again but now I am looking for a lawyer. I've had it.

Go ahead , I am with you to be unite.

Go ahead , I am with you to be unite.

There's a lot of bias going on here: people fail their exams and post about it. For what it's worth, I'd like to share my experience. I'm a US IMG, a very lazy guy going to a very bad and unknown Caribbean medical school. History taking and physical examinations weren't taught or tested at my school. There are no OSCE's; no rotation exams (whatever they're called). I learned how to do H & P's just by watching basically. I haven't even read more than a couple pages of Bates! I took my CS 15 months after I did my last H & P on a patient. I studied five or six hours a day for two or three weeks using only First Aid. I practiced by myself, saying everything aloud, and imagining the responses. I performed physicals on my pillow. I practiced writing every patient note on the software on the CS site.

I found the SP's to be much easier to communicate with than the inner city Baltimore patients I saw. The SP's in philly were right to the point and very clear about everything. I ran out of time/forgot to counsel three or four patients, missed the diagnoses on three or four other patients, messed up histories on three or four others, performed very brief and half assed physical examinations--AND I STILL MANAGED TO PASS. Comfortably. I think as long as you guys practice, you'll be fine.

the SPs I saw weren't that good! one of them answered me that he doesn't take any recreational drug and then in the middle of the exam he remembered that he actually takes weed! another on was sitting on the floor reading her notes when i came into the room and seemed bored. I think its very subjective and depends on the ability of the SP not on the test center or the cases. Some of the SPs I saw were good, really good actors but some had no clue.

There's a lot of bias going on here: people fail their exams and post about it. For what it's worth, I'd like to share my experience. I'm a US IMG, a very lazy guy going to a very bad and unknown Caribbean medical school. History taking and physical examinations weren't taught or tested at my school. There are no OSCE's; no rotation exams (whatever they're called). I learned how to do H & P's just by watching basically. I haven't even read more than a couple pages of Bates! I took my CS 15 months after I did my last H & P on a patient. I studied five or six hours a day for two or three weeks using only First Aid. I practiced by myself, saying everything aloud, and imagining the responses. I performed physicals on my pillow. I practiced writing every patient note on the software on the CS site.

I found the SP's to be much easier to communicate with than the inner city Baltimore patients I saw. The SP's in philly were right to the point and very clear about everything. I ran out of time/forgot to counsel three or four patients, missed the diagnoses on three or four other patients, messed up histories on three or four others, performed very brief and half assed physical examinations--AND I STILL MANAGED TO PASS. Comfortably. I think as long as you guys practice, you'll be fine.
not everyone is so lucky

going by how you said you did, i performed much better and still failed

very subjective

I am IMG. I took exam in Chicago, and I failed in CIS. I did closure and counseling in each case. No idea what went wrong, and frankly, I don't trust these results as they don't provide any disclosure. I will take it again but now I am looking for a lawyer. I've had it.

Did you end up getting a lawyer. I just took step 2 CS and failed the CIS which is laughable since I did everything the first aid asked me to.

I still wonder why they don't allow us to see how these exams are scored.

What's the reason to not show us the checklists unless they're using a failure quota with discriminatory criteria?

I wonder if anyone has even asked this and/or raised a legitimate case which went to the publics eye.

I know of 5 people, similar ethnicity, (IMGs) who filed a lawsuit against NBME and actually settled out of court for $25k each. They were initially failed for no reason, and then later were passed. By that time they had already re-applied, and re-taken it and lost a year.

Hello! I think I have a similar situation and I would like to know if you can put me in contact with the 5 people that you know who filed a lawsuit against NBME, I want to know which firm or lawyer they hired and more details about it in order to win it! Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I just got my failing results on the step 2cs on the CIS part and in shock.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There were no signs of any problem in communication during the exam and I have lots of experience and very good communication skills.

This is very important question : Has anyone appealed and got actually to pass the test after rechecking? I am considering to recheck but it takes 6 weeks. The other option is to take it again and it will take forever+ 1700$. If anyone succeeded in this re-check please let me know and please advise how. Please if you have any knowledge-share it. Mostly Obliged R.

am in the same position as you are, did you recheck, was it positive