April ABA Oral Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mofeen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here taking the ABA oral exam in April?

How long have you been studying? What are you studying? What is your plan for the next month?

I'll start. I am currently in a ACGME Pain Fellowship. Being out of anesthesia for nine months preceding this exam makes me a bit nervous. I have been studying an hour to two hours per day averaged over the week since mid January. I used this time to go through the Michael Ho review book in depth. My plan for the next month is to get in as many mock orals as I can, as well as to keep reading, probably Board Stiff Three. My chair is an oral examiner, and I hope to get a few in with him as well.

As we are getting down to the wire here, I am getting very nervous, which I guess is normal. I was definitely very confident before the written exam and passed with flying colors.

Members don't see this ad.

A colleague of mine created some oral board flash cards. See Amazon.com. Author is Gadsden. I don't know if they are any good, but he claims they helped him a lot. Mock orals are obviously they best way to go.

I must be lazy or overconfident because I'm just starting to review topics. Probably won't get in more than 20 hours total studying in reality, but feel that the exam should pass anesthesiologists who know what's going on and can communicate... Foolish?

Members don't see this ad :)
I must be lazy or overconfident because I'm just starting to review topics. Probably won't get in more than 20 hours total studying in reality, but feel that the exam should pass anesthesiologists who know what's going on and can communicate... Foolish?

Statistics are on your side.Most people pass the orals on their first attempt. I can tell you this, failing the orals is a miserable experience. I thought that I wolud walk into the exam room have a nice little chat and go home with a certificate. You have to come off as being a little polished.

Cambie

Residents at my old program found a pretty good iPhone app that mimicks the exam style, covering a wide range of topics. It is called Anesthesia 101 by Blue Sky Innovations. They have been pleased with using it to supplement their studies.

Studied the four practice sets from ultimate board prep. Loved them. Not only had questions, but included thorough answers.

Studied the four practice sets from ultimate board prep. Loved them. Not only had questions, but included thorough answers.

I've been using these too and find them to be helpful. Price is pretty steep for what had to be a minimal printing cost, but the content is good.