April MCATers Applying Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. C. Troy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any people that took the April MCAT applying right now?

I'm sending out my AMCAS later today, one day before the August MCAT people get to dive into the belly of hell. My plans to apply early were pretty much completely shattered by the personal statement which literally went through about 1.5 months of editing by various people, including the dean of the honors college.

On the upside, my personal statement is pretty much amazing, as it damn well better be after that much time spent on it.

I don't really know what my point was, aside from hoping someone would assuage my fears that the tardiness of my app would negate whatever work I've done over the past 3 years, as well as the ridiculous amount of work I've put into the app itself. This forum seems to be absolutely obsessed with applying early, so this does cause me to worry, seeing as it seems as if I could have just trashed all my hard work thanks to my failure to submit this thing in June/July.

Members don't see this ad.

Typically the benefit of the April MCAT is that you get your app in on June 1st.

But I guess the answer to this doesn't really matter, as your gonna apply right now anyways. You'll be fine, a lot of August MCATters will still be way behind you in the timeline.

Members don't see this ad :)
.surgical. said:
Typically the benefit of the April MCAT is that you get your app in on June 1st.

How can that be? We didn't get our scores until the end of June.

p9142 said:

And you couldn't submitt your app until June 5th (you can submit before your scores, but the date was later this year, was not June 1st)

p9142 said:

If you're confident enough in your scores, you can submit it before your scores. Your app won't be "complete" until the scores come in, though.

I just submitted my application on 8/16. I had a long struggle with the personal statement too.

Yeah I submitted late July. AMCAS isn't verified yet. :-(. Still working on the recs: my pre-med office has 2 of my 3, so now I can interview with them. So hopefully htye'll be able to send out my LORs by early September. In terms of secondaries I'm almost done w/ 7 of em (like they'll be done in the next few days), and there are 5 i haven't received yet. This process is ridiculous.

It is okay. The August MCATers still won't have completed files until October. Most adcoms didn't start working until this week or last week. :oops:

Yeah, thankfully I was working on my LOR's at the same time I was doing my personal statement, so I got those done. I'm just freaked out by how long the PS took... seems like the secondaries are going to be even worse!

Dr. C. Troy said:
Yeah, thankfully I was working on my LOR's at the same time I was doing my personal statement, so I got those done. I'm just freaked out by how long the PS took... seems like the secondaries are going to be even worse!

Don't worry about it too much. Once you get a few of those secondaries done, you can just re-use your old response.

I'll be submitting my primary over the weekend also. Of course, I would have been better to submit in June, but I wanted my summer science classes to be calculated into my science gpa.

I'm pretty sure that I applied around this time last year. I had never heard of SDN and had no idea that I was "tardy". It didn't hurt me to apply mid August. I had coorporative LOR's, but even those didn't get sent out until my secondaries came in, (I think in September/October) I applied at an osteopathic school a little later in the year, I think my file wasn't complete at that school till after January. Anyway, I got into both an MD program and a DO program, (just finished second week :) ) and I'm nothing profound in the way of stats/experience. I think SDN over exaggerates the importance of applying early and even over exaggerates the importance of numbers. Or maybe I was just blessed.... anyway, don't be discouraged by SDN. It was probably good I discovered SDN after interviews....