WolvesDragon55

VMCVM Class of 2018
Jan 19, 2012
Maryland
Status
Veterinary Student
Thought I would start a thread... anyone planning on going?

Anyone else frustrated as heck over the lack of clarity and a set date/time for opening registration?

Reactions: MarxistPreVet

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
I haven't decided on whether or not I am going. We only have fourish members in our club this next spring and all of us can't devote the time to fundraise as a club. So I need to decide whether or not to go alone. I apparently need to decide quickly because labs are filling up. I want to go cause I'm graduating in may and it will be the last time I could, but I don't know.

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
^^Same. I can't commit so early this year, especially since it's not over my spring break like last year.

OP
WolvesDragon55

WolvesDragon55

VMCVM Class of 2018
Jan 19, 2012
Maryland
Status
Veterinary Student
Yeah we got really lucky last year... I talked to the president of our college about how to get us funding and she managed to direct me to a small niche of funds set aside for this sort of thing. Annual grant that will pay for all fees for around 4 or 5 students. I'm not going (since I went last year), but I know the students from the club we are sending are super excited.

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
My club has gone the last two years, but we saw a large drop in club enrollment because of graduation, transfers, and switched majors. We also lost our sponsor and advisor for Pre-vet here, so we were in limbo on our campus for a while. Those of us that are left didn't have any time for fundraisers because there weren't enough of us to carry the load. :/

neocia

Class of 2019
Jun 8, 2013
Illinois
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi guys, anyone else going to this? It's this Friday to Sunday! It's my first time going and I'm feeling so excited (not to mention I just finished my Orgo 2 final exam - heck yea, quarter system!); our pre-vet club is roadtripping to Ames from Chicago. Hoping to see some other SDN peeps!

allygator13

SGU/UTK c/o 2018!
5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2014
Virginia
Status
Veterinarian
Wow, wish I had known the APVMA even existed! The Pre-Vet Club at my university was absolutely terrible.

Reactions: selisona

pinkpuppy9

Illinois c/o 2019
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
Can't make it this year :( (of course, when my club foots the bill, I can't go). Have a blast for me, guys!

OP
WolvesDragon55

WolvesDragon55

VMCVM Class of 2018
Jan 19, 2012
Maryland
Status
Veterinary Student
I skipped out so someone who hasn't been before could go! There are five heading up from my school, leaving from BWI friday

neocia

Class of 2019
Jun 8, 2013
Illinois
Status
Veterinary Student
Anyone else have a really good time at the labs/lectures today? :D
Sad the conference was over and I encourage anyone who didn't know about it/didn't get to go this year to work with your advisor/school/pre-vet club to be able to go next year. (Last yr, our school only sponsored a few of our club to go but this year we made it so anyone who wanted to could go!)

OP
WolvesDragon55

WolvesDragon55

VMCVM Class of 2018
Jan 19, 2012
Maryland
Status
Veterinary Student
I know the people who went from our school had a great time! Apparently I won something too, even though I wasn't there, which is pretty cool! It is such a great experience both for committed pre-vetters and those who are still trying to make up their minds. One of the best things we ever did was fight to get that funding for students to go.

Mar 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Veterinary
We had a great time as well; I was in the Bovine Dystocia lab and Euthanasia lab and both were fascinating and very fun. I really enjoyed the Veterinary Toxicology and Swine CSI lectures as well! The dinner was nice, and the dance was really fun! :hardy: We saw a few people a little schnockered at the dance, thanks to the hotel bar. :laugh: Just surprised all our WI people behaved themselves. Excited to see where it will be next year--sadly, I don't think UW-Madison will be submitting a bid.