Archaeology Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostpremed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to major in archaeology but I'm not sure if state medical schools will look down on this as an easy major. I will still be challenging myself with the pre-med requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like a really cool major! The general rule of thumb is that you should major in whatever you find interesting. Just as long as you do well in the pre-reqs for med school, it doesn't matter.

Major in what you want, keep your GPA as high as possible (3.6+), get a decent MCAT score and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to major in archaeology but I'm not sure if state medical schools will look down on this as an easy major. I will still be challenging myself with the pre-med requirements.
Why would you think this is an easy major? Have you ever taken any archaeology courses? I have taken a couple...and to be honest while they were very interesting, they were also pretty difficult. I remember one class...our entire grade was based on the final. No midterm, no quizzes, no papers, only the final exam. The final consisted of identifying 50 random slides (out of the 1000's that we viewed during the quarter). What the were, where they were, when they were, and what their significance was. Not exactly sure what classes would be involved for a major, but while it may be "easier" than a Biochemistry major, it's not exactly basket weaving. YMMV at your institution.

This question has been exhausted on the forums. Adcoms will not look down upon a major, but rather how the student performs in major and pre-req courses. So major in whatever you'd like as long as you have a strong GPA come application time.

One of my close friends is now in medical school. He majored in linguistics and it was a talking point at many interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Do well on the MCAT, do well in pre-req courses. That's the equalizer, easy major or not.

That sounds really cool! I loved my intro anthropology course.

Medical schools just want you to do well. If anything, interviewers will be happy to ask you about your coursework.

Why would you think this is an easy major? Have you ever taken any archaeology courses? I have taken a couple...and to be honest while they were very interesting, they were also pretty difficult. I remember one class...our entire grade was based on the final. No midterm, no quizzes, no papers, only the final exam. The final consisted of identifying 50 random slides (out of the 1000's that we viewed during the quarter). What the were, where they were, when they were, and what their significance was. Not exactly sure what classes would be involved for a major, but while it may be "easier" than a Biochemistry major, it's not exactly basket weaving. YMMV at your institution.

So that professor thought the best way to evaluate the students' grasp of the material was through the rote memorization of a bunch of slides? Sounds great lol.

So that professor thought the best way to evaluate the students' grasp of the material was through the rote memorization of a bunch of slides? Sounds great lol.
It was a great class, I really enjoyed it. Mayan Archeology. But damn that final sucked. Had an anthro class that also had a 1 shot final, an essay. Overall I loved the quarter system, but those 2 classes, with only 1 chance for a grade sucked. No room for error at all.

It was a great class, I really enjoyed it. Mayan Archeology. But damn that final sucked. Had an anthro class that also had a 1 shot final, an essay. Overall I loved the quarter system, but those 2 classes, with only 1 chance for a grade sucked. No room for error at all.

I had one class where the vast majority of the grade was based on the final. Like 80% of the grade or something like that. But the final was very cumulative and required you to apply the skills and knowledge gained over the course to novel problems. It was a beast, but I thought it was a good indicator of understanding.

I majored in Anthropology, it was the best decision I ever made! The anthro stuff was really highly regarded by the admissions committees and it really helped me emphasize my love for culture and interpersonal relationships. As long as you do great in your science courses and can reasonably explain why you think your major will help you be a physician, you'll do great! QUOTE]
I agree, Anthro is a great major for a pre-med.
I know both med students and Doctors who majored in Anthropology, Geography, Classics, History, Philosophy...didn't hurt any of them to not be a "typical" science major.