Architecture major getting into Australian Grad Entry Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mehwalrus

Non-Trad
Reaction score
I completed a Bachelor of Architecture degree in the US and considering the option of applying to grad-entry medical schools in Australia.

I want to know more about fulfilling science prerequisites for admission to grad entry programs. I don't see any REQUIRED prerequisite for most programs, only RECOMMENDED subjects (1 year of physics, 1 year of biology, 1 year of chemistry etc.). I did not think about applying to medical school during college, but have taken some science courses through engineering. I have taken SAT biology, AP chemistry, did 1 year of physics in college, 1 year of high level math, 1 semester of biology, and NO chemistry in college. Do grad-entry admissions care more about whether I have taken specific science courses and what grades I got for those specific courses, Or, do they mostly care for a high GAMSAT score and high GPA?

My GPA is 3.62 on 4.0 scale. and will allow myself another year to prep for med school if I decide on this track. I am a Hong Kong citizen applying to become Australian PR. Thought I would state this since I read about many talking about the international student internship crisis.

Another question regarding international student internship crisis. If I apply to school as an international student, but by the time of medical internship, I become an Australian citizen. Will getting an internship still be unlikely for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the uni - for example, Melbourne won't interview anyone without the prereqs but Sydney doesn't have any prereqs. You just need to find the universities that don't need those courses - in which case a good chunk of it will depend on your GAMSAT score. Some places do 3x/2x/1x for GPA for the last 3 years of your degree, others will simply use it as threshold (ie do you meet their 3.0/4.0 requirement).

If you do become a citizen before applying to internship, then it's more than likely you'll get a spot at least if numbers remain similar to the past few years. Though I'm not sure if FFP (full fee domestics spots) are included in that calculation or if it's just CSP/BMP students.

I'm in this batch's application cycle as an international student so to answer your questions for the major/Go8 unis you can actually apply to (USyd, UQ, ANU, UWA):

1) Unless you're applying to Monash or Melbourne, there are no such things as pre-requisites. I'm very sure you can't do an american style post-bac to make up for your missing pre-reqs for monash and melbourne, you either did them in undergrad or you can't apply. Nowhere else gives a crap so you can help yourself by just not applying to those 2.

2) I'm personally from commerce and have never even come close to touching anything non-business related in my entire degree (I've already got 2 offers thus far so clearly, they don't care)

3) GPA matters more vs what courses you take. Different schools have different calculations for it. They don't really care how you get your high GPA as long as you get it. You want to do basket weaving as a course? By all means. If they accept Bachelor of Music students (seriously - check it), you can probably figure out they don't really care about what exactly you did in your undergrad*

Also, only ANU and UWA care about your GPA. You can use the combined GPA+GAMSAT score** to get a rough idea of where you stand. USyd and UQ however completely do not care about your GPA and as long as its more than 5/7 or credit average, you're good to go.

They don't care about your extra curriculars either. If it wasn't confidential I would post the letter here (paraphrasing a bit) but all my interview offer letters essentially state that candidates should not waste the university's time by bringing their LoRs and further adds that you will not be given any time to list any of your achievements nor take out any sort of documents of any kind.

Frankly speaking, the intern situation in Australia is pretty damn volatile and no one knows what will actually happen 5 years from now which is when you would graduate. I will however say that Australia has a history of taking care of its own and you will likely get an internship spot if you're a citizen. Becoming a citizen/PR during medical school may get you removed from the course in certain non-Go8 unis (google it) and in others you will get converted to a domestic FFP spot which means you don't get a discount on your school fees either so you're just a domestic in name. If you're applying as a citizen, be aware that it is significantly more competitive and convoluted than as an international and none of the privileges afforded to internationals will apply to you.

In summary, applying as an international student to Aussie med schools is very very different from the American application process and much more straightforward. No system to play with, you don't have to indicate your choices etc you literally just key in your details and you press the apply button. Disclaimer: information is accurate as at 18/08/18 for the 2019-entry cycle for USyd, UQ, ANU, UWA. I am completely unfamiliar with other unis like UoW, Deakin etc primarily because they aren't accredited in Singapore. You'll find that its a rather clear cut thing and you don't need much else aside from a good GAMSAT or MCAT score to apply since you're already a graduate.

*Let it be clear that if you have not taken any science courses before (like me), without studying you will get absolutely executed on the MCAT. The GAMSAT is kinder to non-science students but you will still die if you're not familiar with uni 1st year scientific concepts. UQ sums it up pretty well on their site where they state that it doesn't matter what you do in undergrad but doing a non-science degree just disadvantages you for the GAMSAT/MCAT; however, if you can do well in it then it's all they need to know about you as a candidate.

**Your GPA must have already been converted into the 7 scale.
Combined = (GPA / 7) + (GAMSAT/100) = ~1.6x
Over in pagingdr someone didn't make the interview with a 1.60 so I'm guessing that's the floor for this round. Maybe its higher but that dude was the only one who openly posted his score and his rejection.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly speaking, the intern situation in Australia is pretty damn volatile and no one knows what will actually happen 5 years from now which is when you would graduate. I will however say that Australia has a history of taking care of its own and you will likely get an internship spot if you're a citizen. Becoming a citizen/PR during medical school may get you removed from the course in certain non-Go8 unis (google it) and in others you will get converted to a domestic FFP spot which means you don't get a discount on your school fees either so you're just a domestic in name. If you're applying as a citizen, be aware that it is significantly more competitive and convoluted than as an international and none of the privileges afforded to internationals will apply to you.

In summary, applying as an international student to Aussie med schools is very very different from the American application process and much more straightforward. No system to play with, you don't have to indicate your choices etc you literally just key in your details and you press the apply button. Disclaimer: information is accurate as at 18/08/18 for the 2019-entry cycle for USyd, UQ, ANU, UWA. I am completely unfamiliar with other unis like UoW, Deakin etc primarily because they aren't accredited in Singapore. You'll find that its a rather clear cut thing and you don't need much else aside from a good GAMSAT or MCAT score to apply since you're already a graduate.

*Let it be clear that if you have not taken any science courses before (like me), without studying you will get absolutely executed on the MCAT. The GAMSAT is kinder to non-science students but you will still die if you're not familiar with uni 1st year scientific concepts. UQ sums it up pretty well on their site where they state that it doesn't matter what you do in undergrad but doing a non-science degree just disadvantages you for the GAMSAT/MCAT; however, if you can do well in it then it's all they need to know about you as a candidate.

**Your GPA must have already been converted into the 7 scale.
Combined = (GPA / 7) + (GAMSAT/100) = ~1.6x
Over in pagingdr someone didn't make the interview with a 1.60 so I'm guessing that's the floor for this round. Maybe its higher but that dude was the only one who openly posted his score and his rejection.

You sound like you have a interesting story and really want to get into medicine. Thank you sharing your knowledge.

1) I searched the forum and could not find information on how to calculate my gpa on a 7.0 scale instead of 4.0. Would you mind sharing resources on this? I have a 3.62/4.0 from US.

2) What are the privileges afforded to internationals you mentioned?

You sound like you have a interesting story and really want to get into medicine. Thank you sharing your knowledge.

1) I searched the forum and could not find information on how to calculate my gpa on a 7.0 scale instead of 4.0. Would you mind sharing resources on this? I have a 3.62/4.0 from US.

2) What are the privileges afforded to internationals you mentioned?

I can't help you too much there as I was already on the /7 system. If I'm not wrong (I may be) though, you will have to go through each module/subject you've taken in your undergrad and regrade them to the aussie system according to each university's standards from your WAM. So from scores to grades it will be (HD>84/D>74/C>64/P>50) and each grade will have a corresponding GPA assigned to it which is (HD=7/D=6/C=5/P=4). Then depending on university you either add them all up and average it (GPA) or scale them according to year (wGPA). I don't recall having to put in my wGPA for ANU cos they just calculated from my transcript directly and the rest were rather simple averages of my available modules.

Assuming you're a domestic applicant:
1) You will have to go through the domestic application system where it is significantly more convoluted relative to the international application process, made worse by the fact that some universities have opted out of this system and have their own private versions (think a budget AMCAS)
2) From an applications perspective, it is significantly more competitive where you will have to score much higher than international applicants to get in. Check on pagingdr's (prob shouldn't mention another forum here but really its the only sort of active australia relevant forum so I hope the admins don't mind) past year threads and you'll see the discrepancies between the scores everyone else reports and that of the internationals.
3) You will be competing with the domestic CSP and BMP quota. The former is obviously very desirable but as mentioned, extremely competitive. The latter has a bond period that requires a service term so isn't as competitive but is still harder to get into as compared to international spots.
4) Interviews are in person rather than online (except for UWA which flies people to your country to interview you) and feature a lot more shenanigans typical of MMIs like working with other participants.

tl;dr domestic spots are much harder to get into but if you're really good, its arguably the better pathway cos its much cheaper and guarantees an internship position.

My advice is to take the entry exams (you must take the GAMSAT if you're applying as a domestic and cannot use the MCAT) first and then decide from thereon out what should be the better pathway for you. Remember that if you become a PR, you are instantly locked out of the international pathway. There are also tons of rejected domestic medical school hopefuls floating around the forums every year (some guy took the gamsat 9 times before getting admission - whack) so don't think that it'll be easy

Reactions: 1 user