ARCOM vs CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drsecondchance

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying hard to figure out which of these is the better fit for me. I was accepted to both.

ARCOM
Pros

- Cheaper tuition ~ 45 K
- much closer to family - 5 hours from mom, 9 from husband
- I really liked their campus
- I was impressed by the availability of teaching faculty and deans to students. President Kim took us all out to dinner and gave his cell phone number to all the applicants.
- Even though it's a new school, President Kim used to work in accreditation at AACOM so no concerns they won't get accredited.
- Fort Smith is really engaged with the school. The community loves them. I was really impressed that they have community members in their interviews.
- Apartments on campus
- WARM! I'm a Texas girl and used to the climate in the south.
- food options close to school
- gorgeous, state of the art facilities
- teachers seem really passionate
- family atmosphere

Cons
- mandatory attendance for more things, including every class if under 80% average
- dress code
- still a new and relatively untested school, first class hasn't graduated yet
- Conservative political environment (I'm on the left)
- heavily pushes primary care - I don't know what I want to be when I grow up! :)
- rotations may be as far as 3 hours from the school
- limited research and limited window where it is allowed

CCOM
Pros
- very well established and respected
- most classes have optional attendance
- great match lists
- freer dress code
- Liberal political environment
- excellent opportunities for exploration of student interests including research, global health, and wonderful rotation opportunities
- great research opportunities in various fields
- professors seem really strong here too

Cons

- much more expensive, ~73 K
- 14 hours from my mom and 18 from my husband
- COLD! I'm really freaked out by this
- no food options nearby
- I haven't gotten to see it yet. I'll be going there in a couple weeks for a tour, but wanted to have thoughts from others weighed in too before I go.

Summary: (One sentence with highlights)

I feel like what I'm really deciding between is lifestyle vs education. I also feel like either would give me a strong education. Can someone help me clarify this decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good schools, but I would vote for ARCOM. It is cheaper, and you are closer to your support system.

Reactions: 1 users
73k tuition very steep and unnecessary. Don’t even bother with entertaining CCOM. They’re ripping you off cuz they know they can. That school can go screw itsel.

Reactions: 1 user
Fort smith is not in love with ARCOM... most people here don’t even know it exists.

school is run by lawyers, family atmosphere doesn’t really exist

most people don’t live at the apartments on campus.

as a “liberal” myself, living in liberal land isn’t always the best. I find people from Texas don’t really understand this unless they’re from Austin.

go cheaper and close to home. The school is fine but remember rose colored glasses are a thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easy, go to ARCOM and save 120k (closer to 140k if you account for accrued interest). The enormous extra debt is not offset by any real advantages!

Reactions: 2 users
I grew up 10 minutes from CCOM. It’s a great area, and the campus is all gated in so very safe. I did research there for two years, and it is a very respected program but 73k a year without living expenses is a huge sacrifice. I never got the vibe of a community or family oriented school with the people I worked with there. I chose ARCOM over it myself and I wouldn’t of have to move if I went there.

Reactions: 1 user
I grew up 10 minutes from CCOM. It’s a great area, and the campus is all gated in so very safe. I did research there for two years, and it is a very respected program but 73k a year without living expenses is a huge sacrifice. I never got the vibe of a community or family oriented school with the people I worked with there. I chose ARCOM over it myself and I wouldn’t of have to move if I went there.
Thanks for the recommendation. Ultimately, I was accepted to a state MD, so didn't end up choosing either, but I think this discussion will be helpful to others at some point so I didn't delete it or anything.

Reactions: 1 users