ARCOM vs WCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleDrew23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings! I've been accepted to both ARCOM and WCU-COM and have been detailing pros/cons. I was simply wondering if anyone else had some advice in discerning between the two.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings! I've been accepted to both ARCOM and WCU-COM and have been detailing pros/cons. I was simply wondering if anyone else had some advice in discerning between the two.

Thanks in advance!

They're roughly equivalent. Definitely nowhere near the top, but not bottom of the barrel either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind explaining what happened?
The confusion came up after we had a meeting with our dean concerning the layout and planning for 4th year rotations which for many involve audition rotations at residency programs. Basically he was trying to encourage students to go on audition/away rotations during 4th year using our elective slots (6 total), and he tried to sound tough by saying that the school reserve the right to charge us for electives if we decide to stay at our core sites. It came out wrong and lots of students thought he meant that we will be required to pay $3000 for those 6 electives (the school usually give each preceptor a stipend of $500 per block per student). It blew out on Twitter and SDN, and we later had another emergency meeting where he clarified that he did not mean that we would have to pay if we stay at our core sites, but that it would make it easier on everyone if we do audition/away rotations that way we aren't outcompeting incoming 3rd year students for their core rotation preceptors (IM, FM, OBGYN, Gen Surg, Peds, Psych, Rural PC/OMM). Many people including me will still be rotating at our core sites without paying anything extra. And technically everyone could stay at their core sites and rotate in subspecialties with no problem if they wanted because we have plenty of preceptors in lots of specialties. The problem would only arise if we clog up these core specialties mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The confusion came up after we had a meeting with our dean concerning the layout and planning for 4th year rotations which for many involve audition rotations at residency programs. Basically he was trying to encourage students to go on audition/away rotations during 4th year using our elective slots (6 total), and he tried to sound tough by saying that the school reserve the right to charge us for electives if we decide to stay at our core sites. It came out wrong and lots of students thought he meant that we will be required to pay $3000 for those 6 electives (the school usually give each preceptor a stipend of $500 per block per student). It blew out on Twitter and SDN, and we later had another emergency meeting where he clarified that he did not mean that we would have to pay if we stay at our core sites, but that it would make it easier on everyone if we do audition/away rotations that way we aren't outcompeting incoming 3rd year students for their core rotation preceptors (IM, FM, OBGYN, Gen Surg, Peds, Psych, Rural PC/OMM). Many people including me will still be rotating at our core sites without paying anything extra. But technically everyone could stay at their core sites and rotate in subspecialties with no problem if they wanted because we have plenty of preceptors in lots of specialties. The problem would only arise if we clog up these core specialties mentioned above.

Ah, I see. Thank you for writing all of that out

Reactions: 1 user