ARCOM vs William Carey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NT2C_premed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some help. I've been accepted to both. I also have an interview at NYITCOM-AR and anticipate an acceptance there, so any thoughts on that school are welcome too!

Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pros
  • Great community and support
  • Close to family
  • Cheaper
  • Faculty and administration very invested in students and success
  • Curriculum looks promising

Cons
  • New school, so anticipated changes
  • No stats on board scores or residency placements
  • Standalone school, so minimal exposure to other healthcare field students (such as PTs, pharmacists, nurses, etc.)

William Carey University College of Medicine
Pros
  • Good program with established results
  • Have a focus on disaster management
  • Great administration
  • I liked the student population and vibe there

Cons
  • Much more expensive
  • Farther from friends and family (would be moving with my wife, so that's important)
  • Clinical rotations are a little spread out geographically

Summary: Overall, I liked both schools. Based on the pros alone, ARCOM might be a good fit. I only worry that since it's in its infancy, it may not have the kinks worked out yet, and I might have better name recognition with William Carey. I liked the administration at both places!

Members don't see this ad.

I am on waitlist at ARCOM and have an acceptance from KYCOM. But ARCOM is closer to home. Trying to decide if I need withdraw from waitlist at ARCOM since I hear there are 10 or more students that repeat in 1st & 2nd years. Anyone know if this is true for ARCOM. Since they have yet to graduate a class , thsi seems a little concerning

Members don't see this ad :)
There are more people at all DO schools that have to repeat years than the schools would have you believe. The price of accepting a lot of students with lower stats

I am in the same boat as well. Leaning toward WCUCOM simply because it has graduated several classes and has placed students in residencies, but also like ARCOM for its promising success within its region