are 12 interviews enough?

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by DrBuzzLightYear, Nov 12, 2005.

1. DrBuzzLightYear

DrBuzzLightYear Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

are 12 interviews enough? i would so much rather go to one of my top 5 choices than my last 5 choices. after the first 12 interviews i'd be interviewing at programs which i would be really disappointed if i had to go to. i was talking with an attending, he said that if someone's getting interviews at top programs like BWH, then the chances they'll get one of their top 5 choices are like 75%. anyone else hear anything about this?

2. Flea girl

Flea girl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Have no clue about the last one but if you really do not see yourself being happy or even liking the idea of matching at a place maybe you should not interview there. I think FREIDA will tell you how many interviews they do at each program but not too sure how accurate it is. My take was to accept interviews at places I would not mind matching at. Granted things may change after the interviews but at least I know that I am willing to match there. Have no idea if this helps. Good luck.

3. community

community Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It sound to me like you already know what you would like to do DrBuxxLight and that you've made your decision. Good luck on the interview trail.

community

4. lmh14

lmh14 Member
    5+ Year Member

so how many interviews are you all going on??? i think i have twelve lined up as of now.

5. neilc

neilc 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

i am planning on going to 10-12 interviews. i hope that is enough, but i just don't think i can take many more than that. it is spendy, and there is a pretty big drop off in terms of how much i like the programs at the top of my list vs the bottom.

6. ohbee gin

ohbee gin Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are 3 rules/advice i've been given:

1. Go on 12 Interviews
    2. Don't rank any program you wouldn't want to go to
    3. Don't rank less than 10 programs

This means you can only "not like" 2 of your programs. Does this make sense? I think with the cost of scrambling for a year (opportunity cost) is roughly $20k. The cost of an additional interview probably averages out to be about $200. Why not interview 15 programs, and rank your top 10?

7. snowinter

snowinter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

if you have the money and energy for 15 -- go for it.
    i am probraly doing 15-16 just b/c i got some later that i really wanted after i had booked some earlier ones that i that i wasn't getting anymore. if that makes sense.

good luck everyone
    p.

8. Flea girl

Flea girl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    So I am sick and sad. I am doing 18 :eek: . I booked some way early and already had bought tickets and received some later. Was planning on only doing 15 but oh well. I have a feeling I am going to be burned out by Jan rolls around :laugh: . Thank goodness I only have 4 for that month. Good Luck to all :luck: .