Are adcoms conservative or liberal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Generally speaking, what's the safer way to lean during an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on your geographical location.

The safe way is to not lean during your interview.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you talking politics, I highly recommend you don't try to lean anyway in a interview .. In m limited experience the most well educated and rational individuals become complete crazy when it comes to their religion and politics ... If you are pressed about apolitical question which you have some knowledge on play the moderate and show you understand both sides.. But if you can stay way from that topic!

Reactions: 5 users
The oncologist whom im shadowing is a brilliant guy , last week he said to me he cant believe we are giving IRAN billions of dollars of tax payer money in the nuclear deal. I looked at him waiting for him to smile as I assume he was joking then held my head down and changed the topic when I noticed he was serious... He does interviews for Albert Einstein. So take that for what its worth

Reactions: 1 users
The oncologist whom im shadowing is a brilliant guy , last week he said to me he cant believe we are giving IRAN billions of dollars of tax payer money in the nuclear deal. I looked at him waiting for him to smile as I assume he was joking then held my head down and changed the topic when I noticed he was serious... He does interviews for Albert Einstein. So take that for what its worth

It doesn't make me surprised :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
I understand he might feel strongly about the issue but to be so misinformed is ridiculous. Any sensible person would question if that was true . But that goes back to my point people go crazy and lose all sense of critical thinking when it comes to politics

Reactions: 2 users
Thoughtful answers supported by objective evidence is best.
Opinions on the definitions of the two words in bold will differ across the political spectrum, unfortunately.

Opinions on the definitions of the two words in bold will differ across the political spectrum, unfortunately.

Yeah, like cherry picking the Bible is an objective evidence for some.

Where are you interviewing?

San Francisco? Get ready to praise sexual freedoms.

Texas? Better brush up on intelligent design.

Reactions: 3 users
conservative, though med students lean toward liberal

Members don't see this ad :)
We can smell bull****. Be true to yourself. And don't pander. I hate pandering to what an applicant assumes are my political predilections based on nothing more than my race and sex.

Reactions: 7 users

It's so strange when this happens. A coworker did this, but replaced the iran deal with "the holocaust never happened". First time I heard that conspiracy actually come out of someone's mouth rather than seeing it online.

It's so strange when this happens. A coworker did this, but replaced the iran deal with "the holocaust never happened". First time I heard that conspiracy actually come out of someone's mouth rather than seeing it online.

And jet fuel does melt steel beams

Last edited:
Don't lean at all. The age old adage is true: never discuss politics and religion. I don't know why so many people choose to ignore this.

Don't lean at all. The age old adage is true: never discuss politics and religion. I don't know why so many people choose to ignore this.

I agree with this.

Some schools bring it up in interviews. I was asked about ACA, racial and socioeconomic health disparities, and a school's obligation to be reflective of the demographics of its community all at one school.

Some schools bring it up in interviews. I was asked about ACA, racial and socioeconomic health disparities, and a school's obligation to be reflective of the demographics of its community all at one school.
As you pointed out, it helps to have some fundamental knowledge of the school's community. Like if you're completely oblivious to the plight of Mexican immigrants, then you should probably read a thing or 2 about them before applying to UCLA, UCSD, USC, etc.

I understand he might feel strongly about the issue but to be so misinformed is ridiculous. Any sensible person would question if that was true . But that goes back to my point people go crazy and lose all sense of critical thinking when it comes to politics

The scarcity of comprehensive, fact-based and politically-neutral news outlets is a big contributor to the problem.

When the vast majority of your 'news' comes from outlets that skew in the same political direction you already lean, and when your news sources distort facts and statistics and selectively present"experts" with extreme and inflammatory opinions to influence or pander to their viewers -- well, that makes it pretty difficult to present both sides of an issue. I'd go so far as to say it's become pretty difficult to even find out both sides of the issue...

conservative, though med students lean toward liberal

I disagree, professors usually make up most adcoms at medical schools, and tend to be liberals. I got one of the dirtiest looks from one when I said Ronald Reagan was a great President. It really depends upon the school.

At just because someone is located in a certain city, does not mean they believe certain things, that is assuming too much.

Its best to keep your beliefs about religion, politics, and sexuality to yourself with an adcom member and also to keep it to yourself once you are in school to avoid problems later down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Those are all reasonable questions that a rational person ought to be able to answer.
I only wish I had gotten any of them!

One does have to presume that a reasonable person is listening to the response in order for any answers to be well-received.

Most I've known are socially liberal, fiscally conservative, but that's just that's just their particular personalities, not all adcoms in general.

Most I've known are socially liberal, fiscally conservative, but that's just that's just their particular personalities, not all adcoms in general.
I dont think there is such a thing . Almost all social issues have fiscal consequences. Health care , women reproductive rights , unions(maybe not social) , gay marriage and equal pay for equal work for women.. All both social and economical in nature and both parties differ heavily on it.. Most people use that term to mean that they support the plight of the oppressed but not enough to stop tax cuts for the rich ... This is my view point of the issue, I am not a expect in this issue but the 4 years ive been in this country I have picked up on what that [phrase really means

I dont think there is such a thing . Almost all social issues have fiscal consequences. Health care , women reproductive rights , unions(maybe not social) , gay marriage and equal pay for equal work for women.. All both social and economical in nature and both parties differ heavily on it.. Most people use that term to mean that they support the plight of the oppressed but not enough to stop tax cuts for the rich ... This is my view point of the issue, I am not a expect in this issue but the 4 years ive been in this country I have picked up on what that [phrase really means
Less unwanted kids results in less poverty and crime, hence it is actually quite conducive to my conservative fiscal views, since there are less people ending up in prisons or on welfare. I don't buy the whole "equal pay for equal work" thing- the data actually doesn't back it up at all. Motherhood causes careers to suffer, but single or childless women actually tend to out-earn their male cohorts. Unions are archaic and lumbering institutions that do more harm than good. Gay marriage actually provides substantial overall economic benefits. Welfare and programs for the poor should be converted to programs that provide education and skills so that people can escape poverty, not programs that provide free benefits, but only if you earn under a certain amount, thus disincentivizing work. Breaking URMs out of the cycle poverty and crime via affirmative action policies ensures that the state will not have to spend as much money on welfare or prisons down the line, as they, and their children, will benefit substantially from the URM boost.

You can be a social liberal and a fiscal conservative without being a hypocrite, if you simply use your damn brain and don't toe either party's line on issues. Republicans and Democrats are both horrible, unfortunately, and they're all we get to choose from.

In the broadest sense I think interviewers tend to be conservative in that they are risk adverse. Why as an interviewer would I give a thumbs up and go out on a limb to back an applicant who has demonstrated …(insert some negative attribute/behavior/inability to communicate or argumentative, etc).

In the broadest sense I think interviewers tend to be conservative in that they are risk adverse. Why as an interviewer would I give a thumbs up and go out on a limb to back an applicant who has demonstrated …(insert some negative attribute/behavior/inability to communicate or argumentative, etc).
Yes, we are quite risk averse.
When we look back on a problematic choice, the first question is always, "who interviewed this guy?"

Last edited by a moderator:
I was careful in my state interview not to be overly critical of our state government but it was hard when discussing our overwhelming need at the free clinic that mainly covers the population that would have healthcare if our state had expanded medicaid. If they don't want me because I think my state is broken then I hope I getin somewhere else so I can leave this place.

The safer way to lean is the one that does not involve being disingenuous.

Let me give you an example of what NOT to do.

I asked a candidate a question about a particular topic in current events that has a medical component to it. Why question was to se if the candidate could recognize that component.

The applicant gratuitously, and couldn't help himself, I guess, he just had to tell me his opinion of the topic first, which I did NOT ask him for,

He was rejected.

Do NOT tell us what you think we want to hear. Speak from the heart.

Generally speaking, what's the safer way to lean during an interview?

Don't pander. The way to lean is to answer honestly and with supporting evidence showing that you have a reasonable understanding of *why* something is an ethical debate. I can't imagine just saying that you think Reagan was at good president is a good idea, I'd give you an eyeroll too.

Less unwanted kids results in less poverty and crime, hence it is actually quite conducive to my conservative fiscal views, since there are less people ending up in prisons or on welfare. I don't buy the whole "equal pay for equal work" thing- the data actually doesn't back it up at all. Motherhood causes careers to suffer, but single or childless women actually tend to out-earn their male cohorts. Unions are archaic and lumbering institutions that do more harm than good. Gay marriage actually provides substantial overall economic benefits. Welfare and programs for the poor should be converted to programs that provide education and skills so that people can escape poverty, not programs that provide free benefits, but only if you earn under a certain amount, thus disincentivizing work. Breaking URMs out of the cycle poverty and crime via affirmative action policies ensures that the state will not have to spend as much money on welfare or prisons down the line, as they, and their children, will benefit substantially from the URM boost.

You can be a social liberal and a fiscal conservative without being a hypocrite, if you simply use your damn brain and don't toe either party's line on issues. Republicans and Democrats are both horrible, unfortunately, and they're all we get to choose from.
Couldn't disagree with you more on alot of these issues .. But lets not derail this thread over this, maybe we can talk about it another day over some beers! Yeah I agree just be honest, I think people respect that alot more

@Chelsea FC - are you still living in the Caribbean? Or have you been able to get your green card and move to the US?

I ask not to be nasty but because of this: foreigners (those not raised in the US and/or not having lived here for an extensive period of time) have a different view point of the US than those of us who were or do.

In traveling to various other countries, I found it eye opening to hear what people actually thought the US was like v. what it is really like.

Mad Jack states a lot of things that many relate to, including me; and he states things that some won't relate to, including me.

And from there ... to the OP: just be yourself.

@Chelsea FC - are you still living in the Caribbean? Or have you been able to get your green card and move to the US?

I ask not to be nasty but because of this: foreigners (those not raised in the US and/or not having lived here for an extensive period of time) have a different view point of the US than those of us who were or do.

In traveling to various other countries, I found it eye opening to hear what people actually thought the US was like v. what it is really like.

Mad Jack states a lot of things that many relate to, including me; and he states things that some won't relate to, including me.

I have been in the states for 5 years now and was granted a green card. But before that I was obsessed about the news and political issues that was going on in America. So I think I have a good understanding whats going on . And my views are things that I experience first hand . So Mad jack views about welfare is his and I respect them but is completely different than what I experience, his views that a woman shouldn't by right get paid the same as a man if she is doing the same work is something that no matter which country you are from sounds wrong . I come from a poor 3rd world country and we ave that I would expect the country that thinks of itself as the shining example of the world could do the same. (blah blah blah blah this isnt the thread for this discussion )
My final thought is I respect these opposing views but I disagree with them and this is the same thing I will say at a interview no matter what assumptions I subconsciously make about my interviewer . If I walk into the interviewing room and I notice that the interviewer has a Confederate flag phone case (which one of the nurses I see while I volunteer has) I wont change my moral compass to go inline what i think they want to hear.
And lastly @Ad2b you remembered that I said I was from the Caribbean ??? thats kinda creepy lol I better what what I say here before I out myself

I don't buy the whole "equal pay for equal work" thing

I don't think that you understand what "equal pay for equal work" means. Until the 1970's, it was perfectly legal to pay women less per hour for doing the exact same job that men did. So, for example, a school could pay a male 4th grade math teacher $20,000 a year, but might pay a woman doing the exact same job $12,000 a year. The justification might be that the man has to support a wife and children, but a married woman doesn't need that much money since her husband is the primary breadwinner, while a single woman only has to support herself. So if you "don't buy the whole equal pay for equal work thing" then you support paying women less for the same job.

Unfortunately, in some industries, where pay is not standardized, such pay discrepancies persist.

If what you meant to say was that you feel that statistics showing that women are paid less than men are misleading due to women being more likely to work part time or take off for several years to raise children, then I might agree with you that some, but not all, of that difference might be due to voluntary reduction of time spent at work.

@Chelsea FC - congrats on getting the green card!! That's a huge step for any immigrant wanting to stay here, and not so easy to get! Yes, if checking your posting history or profile page is creepy, then so be it. I like to know my audience before I respond.

Many times when people are so against things that the US does or have a strong opinion saying something "fiscally conservative but socially liberal" is nonsensical, it makes me think the person is NOT from the US especially when coupled with a moniker that reeks of UK (the Chelsea area of London and the soccer team). I lived with a Canadian once (never again, sorry my fellow Canucks) but he thought he knew everything about the US because he learned it from books, the BBC, CBC and from living here for 3 years. (He was wrong on many things including how the US actually works.)

That said...

See, the news and political media are not exactly examples of how the real stuff happens here. If you listened to all of it, you'd think that Obama got elected simply because he handed out 15,000,000 cell phones to the people who live in the slums of this country, and/or only Black or Hispanic people voted for him; obviously that is not true.

If you listened Michael Moore, you'd think Bush planted bombs in WTC 1 and 2 to start a war with Iraq over WMD. Also not true.

Mad Jack NEVER said anything about women not getting equal pay - he said, "Motherhood causes careers to suffer, but single or childless women actually tend to out-earn their male cohorts." Then he had a link and if you clicked on the link, you got moved to Forbes and to an oped piece on single women making MORE money than male peers.

I'm a mom. Motherhood did cause issues in my career as when my son was sick I went home; when he was hospitalized, I went home and took time off. I am also single and at the top of my career, I DID earn more than the men. In many cases, I still do.

BTW, I was on welfare (1986) got my little AFDC check ($432 a month less rent that was paid directly to landlord; so I got $45 a month to live on - water, elec, gas, oil for furnace) plus my food stamps (monopoly like money in coupon books) and daycare paid for.

And many of the things Mad Jack stated, I agree with. (and some I do not ;) )

I'm sorry but when you live in a small European country and see millions of refugees rush through your border overwhelming all your country's resources, you would not think very highly of disastrous imperial ambitions of some Texas politician who has zero understanding of the world outside of US.

@Ad2b
If mad jack wasnt saying that I do apologize .. I do disagree with you about if you do not live here you don't have an idea whats really going on .. This is the information age so the same way you get information about whats happening is the same way I have been getting it for years. The whole Obama thing and Michel Moor things are silly and I know far too many Americans who believe that stuff who have lived here their entire life . Hence going back to your point that one doesnt have to live here all their life to know whats really going on. I never said that saying one is a fiscally conservative but socially liberal is nonsensical because that would be disrespectful to Madjack views which I do not want to be. I only said I don't believe in such a thing because so much social issues have deep economical effects . I am getting a vibe from you that because I haven't lived here I don't have any idea what is actually going on which is anything far from the truth, the fact that I have lived in a 3rd world country and have moved to what many of its citizens claim to be the best country in the world I see things from a completely different prospective. So maybe its you have been lacking understanding whats really happening in USA because its your home and you arent allowed to view things objectively

@Ad2b
If mad jack wasnt saying that I do apologize .. I do disagree with you about if you do not live here you don't have an idea whats really going on .. This is the information age so the same way you get information about whats happening is the same way I have been getting it for years. The whole Obama thing and Michel Moor things are silly and I know far too many Americans who believe that stuff who have lived here their entire life . Hence going back to your point that one doesnt have to live here all their life to know whats really going on. I never said that saying one is a fiscally conservative but socially liberal is nonsensical because that would be disrespectful to Madjack views which I do not want to be. I only said I don't believe in such a thing because so much social issues have deep economical effects . I am getting a vibe from you that because I haven't lived here I don't have any idea what is actually going on which is anything far from the truth, the fact that I have lived in a 3rd world country and have moved to what many of its citizens claim to be the best country in the world I see things from a completely different prospective. So maybe its you have been lacking understanding whats really happening in USA because its your home and you arent allowed to view things objectively

I agree that one does not have to live here to have an opinion on America (hint: the world hates us since our interventions in the middle east).

However, being fiscally conservative and socially liberal is definitely a thing:

1078io9.png

Yes, we are quite risk averse.
When we analyze a problematic choice, the first question is always, "who interviewed this guy?"

I believe the OP was speaking about adcoms in the context of their political views, not in terms of their approach towards applicants. I think the OP had a concern about expressing any political views during an interview, the best advice is to refrain from politics during the interview.

All admissions committees are looking for a student who will be a suitable fit for their school.

I agree that one does not have to live here to have an opinion on America (hint: the world hates us since our interventions in the middle east).

However, being fiscally conservative and socially liberal is definitely a thing:

1078io9.png
Okay my bad I think I might have explained myself wrong.. I know this is a thing and people identify as such. But I am saying that one saying they fiscally conservative and socially liberal is not totally true because majority of the social issues that plague our country has deep roots in economics.

Also, I think AAMC has done a terrific job at promoting diversity to med schools.
If you listen to any of their president's speeches on YouTube it is apparent that he is very liberal ("happy to see across campuses students who want to change this" when referring to lack of access to healthcare).

1078io9.png
A lot of Republicans in NYC are socially liberal, yet fiscally conservative.

Apologies to Op and everyone else for derailing this thread. Back to MCAT studying !

I believe the OP was speaking about adcoms in the context of their political views, not in terms of their approach towards applicants. I think the OP had a concern about expressing any political views during an interview, the best advice is to refrain from politics during the interview.
Yes, I know.
We're all crawling toward the inevitable conclusion that you can't tell by looking at them. We are emphasizing the importance of avoiding the pitfall of answering what you think the interviewer wants to hear.