Are adcoms conservative or liberal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I know.
We're all crawling toward the inevitable conclusion that you can't tell by looking at them. We are emphasizing the importance of avoiding the pitfall of answering what you think the interviewer wants to hear.

The funny thing is that the faculty member who gave me a bad look for praising Reagan told me a couple of days ago he supports Trump for President but he told me not tell anyone about it.

Some schools bring it up in interviews. I was asked about ACA, racial and socioeconomic health disparities, and a school's obligation to be reflective of the demographics of its community all at one school.

If that's the case, discuss it in a neutral and balanced way.

Members don't see this ad :)
The scarcity of comprehensive, fact-based and politically-neutral news outlets is a big contributor to the problem.

When the vast majority of your 'news' comes from outlets that skew in the same political direction you already lean, and when your news sources distort facts and statistics and selectively present"experts" with extreme and inflammatory opinions to influence or pander to their viewers -- well, that makes it pretty difficult to present both sides of an issue. I'd go so far as to say it's become pretty difficult to even find out both sides of the issue...
100% true. Most journalism on both sides makes me sad

If that's the case, discuss it in a neutral and balanced way.

I spoke what I honestly felt, and it worked I thought. The interviewer was really trying to see what I believed in and assessing for fit, which I was appreciative for. It was a good time to assess how I would like the culture of the school and for the school to assess how my views meshed with other students.

I don't know why anyone would think that socially liberal in incompatible with fiscally conservative. Some examples :

Marriage rights for gays would have a minimal cost in terms of some increased social security spousal benefits, and in some increased spousal work benefits, but would otherwise be fiscally neutral.

Legalizing drugs would potentially decrease law enforcement and prison costs, and produce huge increased tax revenues.

Liberalized birth control and abortion laws will decrease medical costs ( abortion is cheaper than childbirth, and far cheaper that raising a child ) and decrease welfare costs.

Banning prayer in schools results in more efficient use of school facilities. ( As an aside, I don't understand why Christian conservatives want to allow prayer in school. They seem to assume that all prayer would be to Jesus, but the first time their children come home from school after their teacher had them kneel on a prayer rug and pray to Allah, or prayed in front of a statue of Shiva or Ganesh , they'll change their minds. )

Gun control advocates would claim that the administrative costs would be offset by decreased medical costs.

Those assumptions might be correct or incorrect, but they are not inherently in conflict with being fiscally conservative.

Reactions: 1 user
Living in a conservative state, I was warned NOT to be negative towards ACA in my state school interview. The adcoms would not be impressed, to say the least...

> Be truthful, people can tell if you're just trying to agree with them.
> Use facts whenever possible, opinion is the weakest form of argument. But if you must give one, be truthful.
>Don't be inflammatory. Respect other's viewpoints as different from your own, that's a large part of medicine.
>?????
>Profit.

I don't think that you understand what "equal pay for equal work" means. Until the 1970's, it was perfectly legal to pay women less per hour for doing the exact same job that men did. So, for example, a school could pay a male 4th grade math teacher $20,000 a year, but might pay a woman doing the exact same job $12,000 a year. The justification might be that the man has to support a wife and children, but a married woman doesn't need that much money since her husband is the primary breadwinner, while a single woman only has to support herself. So if you "don't buy the whole equal pay for equal work thing" then you support paying women less for the same job.

Unfortunately, in some industries, where pay is not standardized, such pay discrepancies persist.

If what you meant to say was that you feel that statistics showing that women are paid less than men are misleading due to women being more likely to work part time or take off for several years to raise children, then I might agree with you that some, but not all, of that difference might be due to voluntary reduction of time spent at work.
Even when one accounts for education, family, etc, there is still an average of like 5% difference in pay.

Most of it is probably women being told to not rock the boat and don't ask for raises or speak up. The sexism isn't in CHOOSING to pay people less, it's the expectations we instill in our daughters.

I think saying women make 79 cents for every dollar a man makes is a bit misleading (again, only like about 95 cents), but the point I believe is often mosunderstood. It isnt that the executives are being unfair and purposefully giving women less. It's that women are expected to grow up and not get an education and should have a family, or are told to be pretty and quiet and not ask for raises, etc.

Seems to be changing for the youngsters though. Little girls don't JUST play with Barbies as a norm now.

@Mad Jack this is what i was going to say to you

*dangerously off topic*

Oh God, I just realized we're in pre-allo lol

Reactions: 1 user