Are all sins equal in the eyes of a christian medical school adcom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the recent DUI thread where a poster attempted to compare hurting someone feelings and driving drunk. This got me thinking, at places like loma linda and liberty U and other bible focused schools are all sins ( IA's and criminal offense) look as the same? When I google this I came across a google explanation of a bible quote: " In one sense, all sins are equal in that they all separate us from God.". Im not religious and feel it may not be fair to compare a murderer with a shop lifter. I still wonder if a loma linda adcom would view someone with an IA for plagiarism as the same as someone with a DUI...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How have you managed to not get banned yet? You're obviously a troll yet you remain under the radar. How do you do it?

Reactions: 7 users
yes loma linda adcoms will treat your shoplifting the same as murder. In fact, I have heard rumors that the interview is simply a bible quiz.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you cant even drink coffee there. if you have to ask you're already on the chopping block prolly.

How have you managed to not get banned yet? You're obviously a troll yet you remain under the radar. How do you do it?

If your not going to answer the question or advance the coversation then don't reply. This thread is an attempted look into the minds of an adcom at a religious school and see how much the words of the bible will cause a deviation from standarad admission practices. Sorry this is not one of the usual stale sdn posts you adore so much... Everyone who thinks outside the box is not a troll

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If your not going to answer the question or advance the coversation then don't reply. This thread is an attempted look into the minds of an adcom at a religious school and see how much the words of the bible will cause a deviation from standarad admission practices. Sorry this is not one of the usual stale sdn posts you adore so much... Everyone who thinks outside the box is not a troll
You sound mad.

Practically all of your threads end up locked not because you "think outside the box" but because you don't think at all. However, I'll play the game. To answer your question I think Loma Linda looks at IA's for plagiarism the same way other medical schools do. I doubt they consider it murder but it will most likely still be a big red flag nonetheless and it will sink you in a heartbeat.

:corny::corny::corny::corny::corny::corny:

I just wanted to be sure not to miss this epic thread. Please, carry on!

On the distant off chance that you are not a troll....

So, somethings which are true in one sphere are meaningless in another. Yes, a religious person might say that in the eyes of their God, stealing a paperclip is as sinful as cheating on the MCAT or hurting a kitten, etc. That same person can simultaneously hold that belief and still see that those acts have different levels of meaning when considering an applicant for medical school. Holding a religious belief does not always negate a person's cognitive abilities to the extent that they can only comprehend situations through a haze of scriptural references.

Also, all Christians do not hold to the belief you mention, that all sins are the same to God. The Bible itself speaks of an unpardonable sin, where all others are forgivable. Catholics have categories of sins, some worse than others.

Adcoms primary task is not judging a person based upon their sinfulness. That is a business for nosy next door neighbors. They are judging which applicants are most academically and personally fit to become physicians. Even at religiously affiliated schools.

Reactions: 3 users
What is a sin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a sin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In context of medical school admission, the scenario paints IAs and criminal records (red flags) as sins

I was reading the recent DUI thread where a poster attempted to compare hurting someone feelings and driving drunk. This got me thinking, at places like loma linda and liberty U and other bible focused schools are all sins ( IA's and criminal offense) look as the same? When I google this I came across a google explanation of a bible quote: " In one sense, all sins are equal in that they all separate us from God.". Im not religious and feel its insane to compare a murderer with a shop lifter. I still wonder if a loma linda adcom would view someone with an IA for plagiarism as the same as someone with a DUI...

Both shoplifting and murder violate one of the Ten Commandments.

Plagiarism might not be equal, but I'm pretty sure shoplifting would not go over well.

Both shoplifting and murder violate one of the Ten Commandments.

Plagiarism might not be equal, but I'm pretty sure shoplifting would not go over well.

Any med school that claims to be governed under the bible must treat plagiarism the same as shoplifting

Murder should be left out of you guys responses because it is a felony. In some state felons cant be license to practice medicine, so a medical school wouldn't admit them anyway..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any med school that claims to be governed under the bible must treat plagiarism as the same as shoplifting

Only by your reading and interpretation of the Bible. The people at that school might have a very different reading/interpretation of the same book.

Christianity is not monolithic. (And I do not believe the quote you reference is actually from the Bible in any instance. You didn't provide chapter and verse, after all. Though, since I read it in the KJV version, you may be quoting some modern translation that puts things differently.)

Murder should be left out of you guys responses because it is a felony. In some state felons cant be license to practice medicine, so a medical wouldn't admit them anyway..
shoplifting can result in a felony depending on the value of items stolen.

Only by your reading and interpretation of the Bible. The people at that school might have a very different reading/interpretation of the same book.

Christianity is not monolithic. (And I do not believe the quote you reference is actually from the Bible in any instance. You didn't provide chapter and verse, after all. Though, since I read it in the KJV version, you may be quoting some modern translation that puts things differently.)

Depends whether you consider plagiarism as theft, which I don't see as a huge stretch.

Any med school that claims to be governed under the bible must treat plagiarism the same as shoplifting

Depending on when the crimes were committed, it's possible that non-Bible schools would view shoplifting as less serious than plagiarism. Heck, shoplifting isn't even a misdemeanor in some states (depends heavily on what was stolen). It's like getting a speeding ticket.

I know of people convicted of shoplifting and petty theft who got into medical school. I don't know of anyone who committed plagiarism getting in.

You are also abusing the word "sin." Sin has a very specific meaning in a Christian religious context. It has a colloquial meaning which is similar, but not identical. It does not have an official meaning within the realm of medical school admissions, even at Christian schools.

Have you never taken a logic course? Using the same word in two different contexts where its meaning is not consistent is a form of logical fallacy.

Romans 6:23 <---- my quote was a google interpretation

I was reading the recent DUI thread where a poster attempted to compare hurting someone feelings and driving drunk. This got me thinking, at places like loma linda and liberty U and other bible focused schools are all sins ( IA's and criminal offense) look as the same? When I google this I came across a google explanation of a bible quote: " In one sense, all sins are equal in that they all separate us from God.". Im not religious and feel its insane to compare a murderer with a shop lifter. I still wonder if a loma linda adcom would view someone with an IA for plagiarism as the same as someone with a DUI...

I think they probably evaluate the various transgressions the same as other med schools. Plagiarism is going to be huge and Likely deal breaker in any academic setting, period. DUI will be viewed as a black mark and red flag and could very well make a competitive applicant fall off the list. Only difference at these religious schools is not only won't you get into their med school but they will believe you will burn in he'll for your sins to boot.

In attempt to advance the conversation here are some assumptions im going to need you guys to make:

1. plagiarism = theft (because it is)

2. The shoplifter stole an item under $600 (therefore it is not a felony)

3. The two applicants did the crime around the same age

Last edited:
Romans 6:23 <---- my quote was a google interpretation

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Does not say "All sins are equal."

Has been interpreted many ways, but generally is talking about the necessity of a savior in order to attain eternal life. Medical school may seem like the Pearly Gates, the way some of us talk about it, but I am pretty sure it only lasts 4 years, and so the quote is probably not relevant.

23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Does not say "All sins are equal."

Has been interpreted many ways, but generally is talking about the necessity of a savior in order to attain eternal life. Medical school may seem like the Pearly Gates, the way some of us talk about it, but I am pretty sure it only lasts 4 years, and so the quote is probably not relevant.

If your only response is " some Christians don't interpret the bible that way" that in of itself is a fallacy for you to exclude the ones who do...

The shoplifter stole an item under $20,000 (therefore it is not a felony)

Please don't use yahoo answers. Look at actual state laws. I could only find one state (Illinois) in which stealing something valued at over $1000 was not a felony.

In many states, you could be charged with a felony for stealing an iPod.

It varies by state
No kidding, you asked us not to consider murder because it's a felony. Shop lifting can easily result in a felony as well, you do not have to steal items valued at $20,000. In many states you receive a felony for shoplifting items valued at $500 or higher. In other states it's you receive one for shoplifting items valued at $1500. So if felons can't practice medicine, some shoplifters may not be able to practice medicine as well.

When in doubt, consult the student handbook. Discipline will be imparted based on established rules, which are made clear to you in the student handbook. Everything else is speculation.

Please don't use yahoo answers. Look at actual state laws. I could only find one state (Illinois) in which stealing something valued at over $1000 was not a felony.

In many states, you could be charged with a felony for stealing an iPod.

Haggling over the exact monetary amount does change the premise of the argument.

-2 points for committing the straw-man fallacy

I am not excluding anyone. Sure. An adcom at a Christian school could allow his/her religious inclinations to affect the way they view applicants. So could an adcom at a school with no religious ties. Also, an atheist or a person of some other religion could do the same.

You are the one who attempted to define a scenario where a Christian adcom believed exactly as you say that they should, and then asked what we think is going through their head. Since this adcom is your imaginary friend, you are the only one who can tell us what he or she thinks.

I just pointed out that in the wider world, outside your box, what you are asking is a little ridiculous, or at least simplistic and ill-informed.

Haggling over the exact monetary amount does change the premise of the argument.

-2 points for committing the straw-man fallacy

Not a fallacy to point out a blatant error in a claim you made. Good try though.

Besides, the entire premise of this discussion is illogical. Loma Linda prohibits drinking alcohol and coffee and eating mustard. You really think they'll admit anyone with any conviction or IA?

To answer your original question: yes, I think Loma Linda views plagiarism, shoplifting, and a DUI the exact same way - inadmissible red flags. The details don't matter.

lol the only thing I know about loma linda is that it is a christain school and this youtube video .

The coffee thing is new to me.

Last edited:
In Catholicism there are venal and mortal sins. Both can be expunged with different levels of effort. So in the Catholic church, no, not all sins are considered equal, but the categories are very broad. I think felony robbery and public drunkenness are venal sins that may require different number of prayers and acts of charity to clear out.

For other Christian denominations, it isn't as clear. Many have a love the sinner, hate the sin approach. However, some branches say if you accept Jesus and do works/pay money/pray hard, your sins get washed away.

There's your theology.

ugh, the easiest way to avoid this ambiguity is to skip applying to loma linda.