Are Bootcamp scores severely inflated?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothJockey

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took a warm up test for Bio and I got a 32/40 which Bootcamp calculated to be a 23, but in reality I've heard that 5 questions wrong gets you down to a 20, so I should have gotten a 17-18 (yikes!!) or something in actuality right? Is Bootcamp overly generous? A 23 on Bio on the real DAT is supposed to only be 2-3 questions wrong right?

Members don't see this ad.

The scores on the real test vary a lot based on the version you take, i.e. 5 questions wrong is not going to be the same score on different versions. Focus less on predicted practice test scores and more on areas to improve on.

I saw this post a while back with a conversion chart but seems it is based on the 2007 exam.. I would imagine the scores would only get more competitive considering its been 12years.

shows 34/40 on Biology converts to a 21

I wish DAT was a more open about raw scores and conversions similar to how the MCAT is

I just took a warm up test for Bio and I got a 32/40 which Bootcamp calculated to be a 23, but in reality I've heard that 5 questions wrong gets you down to a 20, so I should have gotten a 17-18 (yikes!!) or something in actuality right? Is Bootcamp overly generous? A 23 on Bio on the real DAT is supposed to only be 2-3 questions wrong right?
I was concerned about that as well because the scoring was so inconsistent between tests. I was averaging around a 19-20 in my practice tests but yesterday I took it and got a 22 on the bio section. Like others have said, don't worry too much about the scores of individual practice tests. Just make sure you review what you got wrong AND what you got right, so you know why those answers are the correct ones, instead of just memorizing a multiple choice set.

For those going to take the DAT in the future, be careful trying to predict your scores with any testing service. If you're going completely on your practice scores without assessing your strength in understanding the content, you're bound to not do as well as you could. It really doesn't matter much if your scores are inflated/deflated - it matters far more that you understand the material and can apply it on the exam. That's personally how I tackled the DAT.