Are California Schools An Option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShhhDontTalk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been a huge fan of SDN and have browsed threads dozens of times to get the ins and outs of medical school and the application cycle. Now, its that time to see how I will fair in this application cycle and if I have a strong chance to get into any MD school. Please take a look at my information if you have the time. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.

California Resident, Attending a UC
Applying as Underrepresented Minority - African American
cGPA: 3.63 sGPA: 3.66 Post-bacc: 3.97
MCAT: 34Q (11/12/11)
Political Science B.S.
Biological Science B.S. (in progress, receive in June; 5th year)

• NCAA D-I scholarship - two years
  • Hospital volunteer - 2 years (8 month rotations in ICU, ER and NICU for 4 hours a week ~ 360 hours
  • Research: 2 years on Melanoma since my mother has it, published; 6 additional months of research on various topics
  • Have been working as an EMT after I decided to quit the team; around 24-36 hours a week for 2 1/2 years (tons of clinical experience in hospital and on the ambulance)
  • Global Medical Brigade member: traveled to Honduras for one week for two summers
  • Member of a Pre-Health for Minorities organization for 3 years; Treasurer for a year
  • Tutored for three quarters (10-15 hours a week)
  • Other volunteering: worked a food pantry serving hundreds of homeless/hungry a week (8 hours a month ~ 250 hours total)
I'm hoping that I'll have a chance with any California school, but I'll be very happy with an acceptance to any medical school. I'm more interested in medical schools that place a high priority on developing well balanced physicians, possibly global medicine, rather than research heavy schools. Unfortunately, I had a low GPA my first two years, with a few retakes that I averaged in (3.0 freshman year, 3.2 sophomore). I do have a upward trend with a 3.8+ GPA the remaining three years. I should get a 4.0 this last quarter as well. Please let me know! Thank you and good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I've been a huge fan of SDN and have browsed threads dozens of times to get the ins and outs of medical school and the application cycle. Now, its that time to see how I will fair in this application cycle and if I have a strong chance to get into any MD school. Please take a look at my information if you have the time. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Political Science B.S.

• Hospital volunteer - 2 years (8 month rotations in ICU, ER and NICU for 4 hours a week ~ 360 hours
  • Research: 2 years on Melanoma since my mother has it, published; 6 additional months of research on various topics
  • Have been working as an EMT after I decided to quit the team; around 24-36 hours a week for 2 1/2 years (tons of clinical experience in hospital and on the ambulance)
  • Global Medical Brigade member: traveled to Honduras for one week for two summers
  • Member of a Pre-Health for Minorities organization for 3 years; Treasurer for a year
  • Other volunteering: worked a food pantry serving hundreds of homeless/hungry a week (8 hours a month ~ 250 hours total)
I'm hoping that I'll have a chance with any California school, but I'll be very happy with an acceptance to any medical school. I'm more interested in medical schools that place a high priority on developing well balanced physicians, possibly global medicine, rather than research heavy schools. Unfortunately, I had a low GPA my first two years, with a few retakes that I averaged in (3.0 freshman year, 3.2 sophomore). I do have a upward trend with a 3.8+ GPA the remaining three years. I should get a 4.0 this last quarter as well. Please let me know! Thank you and good luck to everyone applying!

California programs will be fighting each other to get you. Congrats on a fantastic application. If you apply broadly and interview well you have many acceptances in hand by this time next year!

Your stats are definitely good enough for CA. Apply everywhere in CA and you should have a have a choice of a few.

Hey everyone,

Political Science B.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thank you for all of your responses. I for sure thought that my low GPA would hinder my chances of acceptance. Thanks for taking the time to look at my application. Good luck to everyone.

Why not?! LOL! UCLA might be pointless since everyone is at it! I would apply to all medical schools in California. Lomda Linda, USC, UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Davis, UC San Frans., etc..!

California Average MCAT: 34
oGPA: 3.68
sGPA: 3.70

CALIFORNIA LOVES EC's!

I'm from California! =D I attend a school in little arkansas! I love arkansas! I don't really care what school I go to. It only can be a christian school though!