Are case reports enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zhamad1349

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im an Intern (DO) with plans to apply for Cardiology. I am currently working on publishing 5 case reports and am preparing an abstract submission to ACC 2020. Ive been looking around for a larger project to join but haven't had any luck so far. In case I don't get anything more than what I have now (Assuming they get accepted), or all I do is get case reports from here, would that fulfill the research part of my application when I apply for Cardiology Fellowship?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you have an inhouse fellowship and you are the only one applying from your class then you are probably ok

Yes. You're only 3 months into your intern year. As you rotate with and get acquainted with more faculty, access to larger projects will get easier. You'll probably get something after January. In the interim, case reports are fine, especially 5 of them. You want to show interest and ability in research. No one is expecting you to be first author on a practice-changing trial published in NEJM (more power to you if you achieve this).

Depends on your goals / situation. Unfortunately the system is largely still an old boys club based on "prestige" of institution and letters behind your name but like mentioned above... you just started and will have time.

If you are a top tier place than you can get away with very little and land a decent amount of solid interviews.

if you are not top tier (and even more so for DO) than if you want to break into the "next tier" of program you should start early and get at least a few pubs. Case reports are easy and not that important IMO. I would get a few to have on your CV and then focus on research.

That being said if you don't have the desire to be at hopkins or CCF etc then you don't have to kill yourself if your application doesn't have any red flags and you are coming from a decent residency program with a decent cards placement rate (i.e most major university programs)