Are chewable tablets PO route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Light Z

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
when you take chewable tablets, are they PO route as in they go all the way through your GI tract? Ths would mean without drinking water with the tablet, only your saliva is what washes it down into your esophagus.

Or are they absorbed right thru the mucosa of your mouth like buccal and sublingual dosage forms?

Basically asking because i want to know if chewable forms of meds go thru your GI system and are subjected to breakdown there.

Members don't see this ad.

Chewable tablets are designed to be chewed into smaller pieces and then swallowed into the stomach, where they are digested just the same as a non-chewable tablet (or perhaps slightly faster).

Any mucosal absorbtion of a chewed chewable tablet is likely minimal (if any at all).

Reactions: 4 users
They are rectal.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While at first glance this might seem like a super easy question, it sounds exactly like the type of question someone would put on an exam and then mislead half of the class to get it wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
Similar question, are films, troches, and ODTs that are dissolved in the mouth absorbed through the buccal membrane? I was told by two or three RPhs that things like ODTs and Films are absorbed through the stomach as normal tablets are, but told that troches and the like can also be absorbed through the buccal membrane. My understanding was that it was dissolved in the mouth but "digested" into the stomach and absorbed there.

These are the tough questions hitting our profession right now.

Reactions: 4 users
HepaticPortalVein.jpg

Vs

TinyBloodVesselsInTheCheek.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I am going to swoop in for the best answer here....

I would have to say it entirely depends on what the medication is and it’s chemical structure. The nature of the medication will decide where it is absorbed and how it is broken down due to its interaction with the barrier receptors, channels, gates, etc..

All medications act differently in this way. So the answer will be a function of the the medication involved and it’s area interaction

I would have to say it entirely depends on what the medication is and it’s chemical structure. The nature of the medication will decide where it is absorbed and how it is broken down due to its interaction with the barrier receptors, channels, gates, etc..

All medications act differently in this way. So the answer will be a function of the the medication involved and it’s area interaction

Honestly you didn't say much. All you did was hedge yourself. Saying it depends is a safe answer for any question...lmao

Reactions: 1 users
Awwww it’s jelly

Yes, I'm jelly of your profound ability to stay on the fence and to remain vague when answering questions. The question isn't hard. The purpose of a chewable tablet is for people who can't or don't want to swallow larger pills. The direction on the insert says to chew and swallow...it doesn't say to chew and let it sit in your mouth or between your cheeks or to park it under your tongue. The main mechanism is PO not buccal or SL.

I don't know why such a silly question garnered so much controversy or why people can't/afraid to give a straight answer. This is why the profession is in the toilet. You're supposed to be the drug expert and you're hedging yourself on such a silly question...just saying...

Last edited:

Are medications absorbed via voltage gated channels?

• Haha
when you take chewable tablets, are they PO route as in they go all the way through your GI tract? Ths would mean without drinking water with the tablet, only your saliva is what washes it down into your esophagus.

Or are they absorbed right thru the mucosa of your mouth like buccal and sublingual dosage forms?

Basically asking because i want to know if chewable forms of meds go thru your GI system and are subjected to breakdown there.

To answer title of your thread: Yes