Are DO residencies comparable to MD residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gladlyfocused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I hope that this question doesn't ignite an argument or anything, as this was not my intention. I sincerely want to know the answer.

Are DO residencies comparable to MD residencies in the way of training, the number of patient contact, practice opportunities and income? If they are, why do DO students apply to allopathic residencies? Is it solely because there is not enough DO residencies out there to accommodate the DO grads? Also does it occur the other way around where an MD applies to a DO residency?

EDIT: Please try not to be biased towards one or the other because of the type of initials you have after your name, I just want to be well informed.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably some are, generally most DO residencies are held in low esteem, some in better. Generally ACGME usually are better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I hope that this question doesn't ignite an argument or anything, as this was not my intention. I sincerely want to know the answer.

Are DO residencies comparable to MD residencies in the way of training, the number of patient contact, practice opportunities and income? If they are, why do DO students apply to allopathic residencies? Is it solely because there is not enough DO residencies out there to accommodate the DO grads? Also does it occur the other way around where an MD applies to a DO residency?

EDIT: Please try not to be biased towards one or the other because of the type of initials you have after your name, I just want to be well informed.

Thanks!

You can find the answer to most of these questions online. I won't comment on the quality since I'm only a premed but:

There aren't enough DO spots for students, that is a fact
MDs can't apply for Osteo spots (currently, though it may get changed in the future)

As for quality and such, can't answer, but there are dually accredited (both AOA/ACGME) spots if you want the best of both worlds.

Hi!

Thanks!

Having talked to doctors that bring docs on board at hospitals, it matters where you did your residency. This could vary based on the area (midwest could be more DO residency friendly).

I bet this is a subjective answer and incites butthurt discussion.

You kind of have to compare apples to apples. A big university acgme program is obviously better than a small community AOA program. If you compare two similarly sized community programs, one AOA and the other Acgme, they are probably pretty similar. There are some AOA programs that are better than many acgme programs. The worst AOA program is probably worse than the worst acgme program.

My understanding is that AOA has lower minimum standards than ACGME. So there are AOA programs that wouldn't qualify for ACGME accreditation (one part of why the proposed merger talks fell through). There are many good and bad residencies on either side of the equation, but on average ACGME programs are probably better. That said, either one is sufficient to allow you to practice medicine anywhere in the United States. With very few exceptions, residents come out of their programs feeling ready to do their job.

DO's apply to ACGME programs for many reasons. Some don't like the politics, some want to match in a stronger program, some want to be as close to an MD as possible, some have a specific place on mind, some just want more options... I could go on and on. I know for emergency med, most ACGME programs are 3 years while all AOA are four, and geographically, if you want to be on the West coast, you have only one AOA program to work with, so you go ACGME.

Agree with cliquesh.

They are comparable if you're comparing the right programs. Suffices to say in terms of proportions you're more likely to find a university ACGME (MD) program than a university AOA (DO) program because of sheer quantities. University affiliation, academic program = more research funding, more prestige, better fellowship opportunities. AOA programs tend to be more prevalent at smaller community programs if I were to make a blanket statement but there are plenty of community ACGME programs too.

DO students choose to apply to ACGME for a lot of different reasons, not just because there aren't enough AOA spots. You might have a better chance of matching a solid program in your desired field in your desired location applying ACGME. For example I'm interviewing for both AOA and ACGME programs in Internal Medicine but will likely go ACGME since where I live (California) there just aren't as many strong IM programs on the AOA side and there are lots on the ACGME.

Salary during residency is pretty much the same (low) no matter which hospital or field for that matter... ~50k +/- 10k before taxes and that's probably on the higher end for first year.