Are dress pants and a nice top suitable for a pharmacy school interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lavenderskies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read a number of threads on here suggesting that in order to look professional for a pharmacy school interview, you need to wear a suit. The type of suit (pants vs. dress) can vary as long as it is what you feel comfortable in.

Is it acceptable to not wear a suit? What if you were to instead wear dress pants and a blazer or nice top? Can the interviewer write down "didn't wear suit, not professional" on your profile (i.e. can the fact that you didn't wear a suit 'count' against you?)

One thread said 3/4 of women wore a suit, about 1/4 worse something else (i.e. dress skirt and blouse or dress pants and dress top, but that they really stood out (in a not as good way). Is this true?
I'm kinda hard up for money and don't really want to spend $100-$200 for a suit that I will be wearing probably only to interviews... but if it's what's needed, guess I'll have to.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read a number of threads on here suggesting that in order to look professional for a pharmacy school interview, you need to wear a suit. The type of suit (pants vs. dress) can vary as long as it is what you feel comfortable in.

Is it acceptable to not wear a suit? What if you were to instead wear dress pants and a blazer or nice top? Can the interviewer write down "didn't wear suit, not professional" on your profile (i.e. can the fact that you didn't wear a suit 'count' against you?)

One thread said 3/4 of women wore a suit, about 1/4 worse something else (i.e. dress skirt and blouse or dress pants and dress top, but that they really stood out (in a not as good way). Is this true?
I'm kinda hard up for money and don't really want to spend $100-$200 for a suit that I will be wearing probably only to interviews... but if it's what's needed, guess I'll have to.

Get the suit. You will need good dress clothes for later intern/job interviews, so it is not a waste.

Get the suit. You will need good dress clothes for later intern/job interviews, so it is not a waste.
Guessing the OP is a girl which means she doesn't have to wear a suit and can still look professional.

I don't really know how it works but the roommate says that there is a ton of stuff she can wear that is equivalent to my tie/slacks and even suit/tie. I don't really pay attention to her clothes either so can't remember what it looks like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't show pits or cleavage and do wear hose with a skirt.

Doesn't have to be a "suit" but whatever you wear, it must be on par with what everyone else is wearing.

Don't wear all black and don't wear bright ass colors either.

Get heels that cover toes and are no higher than 2 inches.

No flashy jewelry and please for the love of the universe, lay off the perfume.

Natural looking makeup.

Hair up or down doesn't matter as long as it's combed and you're not fidgeting with it.

seriously? your willing to drop grands on school but not a few hundred on a suit?

Some of us are financing our own educations & didn't yet have that loan money when interviewing. The deposit for school was a stretch for me.

rxlea is right on. Consider the climate of the schools you are applying to. My school is a little more lax when it comes to clothing, but if I didn't know that or was applying to a conservative school northeast (or something), I would have bought a suit.

As it was, I wore a brown vest, dress shirt, brown slacks, and flats.

I agree I think you should wear a suit. I think it is an investment in your future. You will wear it again and you will want to look as professional as possible.

Panty Hose? I have seen this in a few places, but I really don't want to. My grandmother wears pantyhose. Do you think it would be thar bad if I didn't?

Also how do you feel about peep toed heels? It is a really small peep toe, but I think they still look really professional. Plus I looked around and am having a hard time finding anything else I like.

I agree I think you should wear a suit. I think it is an investment in your future. You will wear it again and you will want to look as professional as possible.

Panty Hose? I have seen this in a few places, but I really don't want to. My grandmother wears pantyhose. Do you think it would be thar bad if I didn't?

Also how do you feel about peep toed heels? It is a really small peep toe, but I think they still look really professional. Plus I looked around and am having a hard time finding anything else I like.

Yes - Panty hose are essential.

Definitely panty hose, ESPECIALLY if you go with the peep-toe heels. Bare toes sticking out are a no-no for sure.

What about a cumberbun for men? Am I the only one considering wearing a cumberbun?

What about a suit top over a dress? As long as the dress was high-cut and you wore it with panty-hose?

Girls have it a lot easier. There is no need to even wear a suit, in fact, I think it makes you look worse. Just get a nice top and black pants.