Are fellowships like this rare?

Started by Azarias59
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Azarias59

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this sort of stuff. Though I know that it is far too early for me to even be considering specialties, I was just too curious to not look around.

I discovered this little fellowship here (https://www.bcm.edu/departments/obstetrics-and-gynecology/education/perinatal-surgery), and I was wondering exactly how rare these types of fellowships would be. So if anyone could answer this, I'd greatly appreciate it!
 
There are a few popping up now. The fellowship is offered to those who have completed their MFM fellowship. UT-Houston across the street from Baylor, CHOP, and Cincinnati are other programs that offer fetal intervention fellowships.
 
Would open fetal (or even neonatal?) surgery be out of the scope of this fellowship then?

I believe so. I worked with an MFM in North Carolina who was trained at Cincinnati. She was proficient in laser ablation of arteries for TTTS and TRAP syndrome, but we weren't doing open surgeries- all laparoscopic.

I'm not even sure what open fetal surgeries you're referring to, other than spina bifida repair which would obviously be done by a neurosurgeon. Something I'm missing?