How do you like your job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eun-Sol

Reaction score
Hello! I have questions to current obgyn physician, residents, and etc! I really am interested in obgyn field and was looking to shadow a physician from Maryland area but bc of covid, Im having really hard time finding the opportunity. So Instead, I decided to ask here.

My questions are..
1. How do you like your job? Overall satisfaction? Job duty-wise and financial-wise.
2. What is greatest and worst thing about to practice obgyn?
3. Where do you typically work? In private practice? In hospital? Why did you choose the position ?
4. Why did you choose obgyn ?
5. How difficult was/is the residency? How difficult to get into one?

Your answers will be really helpful to shape my future. I really appreciate your time and effort to read and answer my post in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I have questions to current obgyn physician, residents, and etc! I really am interested in obgyn field and was looking to shadow a physician from Maryland area but bc of covid, Im having really hard time finding the opportunity. So Instead, I decided to ask here.

My questions are..
1. How do you like your job? Overall satisfaction? Job duty-wise and financial-wise.
3. Where do you typically work? In private practice? In hospital? Why did you choose the position ?

Your answers will be really helpful to shape my future. I really appreciate your time and effort to read and answer my post in advance!

1. The job is fine. Overall satisfaction is reasonable. Job is relatively straightforward. Financial wise pay is ok. It is on the lower end of the spectrum compared to urology, ENT, ortho etc.

2. Best thing: mix of clinic and OR. Being the expert in women's health.

Worst thing: call can be tough. Labor and delivery call is physically tough.

Even GYN call is a pain. Torsions, ectopics, etc.
Last month, a patient was brought in. Had a laparoscopic hysterectomy and was discharged from an outside facility. Passed out at home and brought in by ambulance. Ct shows moderate fluid in the abdomen and a low H/H.

I take her back and evacuate a liter of blood from her abdomen and repair the bleeding site. Wasn't even my complication.

3. Was part of a health system in a 10 person group. Due to disagreement on compensation I will start a job with a FQHC. No call at all. Just clinic and operating.

5. Residency is challenging but manageable. The speciality is apparently getting more competitive although I am not sure why.

Overall the specialty is fine. It has its issues. You will always find a job because the demand is there.

If you have the scores, I would recommend other specialities: urology, ENT, plastics etc are better.

Reactions: 1 user
I love my job, I only practice urogynecology and will occasionally do complex surgical gyn that the obgyn’s send over. I am 25% research and am also involved in several industry scientific advisory boards. I am in the urology dept though I am obgyn trained, and make what an academic fellowship urologist makes, and feel fairly compensated.

greatest thing is the surgical sub specialties, we do some of the most complex surgery out there and have skills few people have, in my my job in particular I have a lot of diversity of cases from simple vaginal surgery to revisions of sacrocolpopexies and bladder neck closures and fistula repairs. The worst is because the skills are fairy rare I get called in A LOT to fix things or help in the OR where general obgyns and urologists are doing things (more of the former, but a decent amount of the latter). This eats into my academic time and clinic time and sometimes is very exhausting

I am in academics because i am interested in novel research and device development and much easier to do that in academics than PP

thought I wanted to be a gyn oncologist, which is the only way to get there. If I did it again would do FPMRS through urology

residency was quite difficult, worked at least 80-90 hours, no home call for seniors like in other surgical residencies. Now residency is very difficult to get into I believe obgyn is one of the top 3 most competitive based on last years match results and number of people who didn’t match. Not sure why, the compensation for general obgyn is middling and work is hard and the fellowships are very competitive and not guaranteed. I know a fair number of people who went into it do a fellowship and didn’t match and now don’t really like their job as a generalist.