Are grades based on test only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperpodia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering If I have to buy a laptop and printer
Are grades in Pod school based on tests only, or do students have to turn in papers and do presentations

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering If I have to buy a laptop and printer
Are grades in Pod school based on tests only, or do students have to turn in papers and do presentations

As far as the first year classes at Scholl, your grades were based on tests. We didn't have any presentations or papers to turn in. I am assuming that the 2nd year classes will be the same. But we also start having time in clinic with patients our 2nd year. So I am not sure what that grade will be based upon.

In regards to buying a laptop and printer, that's up to you. Some people like to study using their laptops, some like to print their notes and bring to class. I personally printed my notes. I learn better actually having the notes in my hands and highlighting.

You will figure out what you like better but you may want a laptop or computer of some sort so that you can be a little more flexible. Meaning you can work on things in other areas of the school (laptop) and not be stuck going to the campus computer lab (computer at home). I know a few people that don't have a laptop (VERY FEW) and come to the library to use the computers. But that can be inconvenient if the library is closed.

Last edited:
Barry has grades based largely on exams (as well as quizzes in some classes) during the first year. Per the handbook, professors can also base the grade on papers, presentations, or even attendance as they see fit, but even the profs who do utilize that option typically just make that stuff optional extra credit (maybe 1-5%).

The clinical 2nd and 3rd year courses are where you will typically have to give PowerPoints that are worth a small fraction of your grade in each course. The main point of that is just to give the students practice with reading journals and public speaking; that helps you prep for subsequent clerkships, most or all of which will require a student PPT to the residents+director.

As for computer equipment reqs, your school should have labs available with computers, printers, scanner, etc (all you really need is a jump drive). Personally, I didn't have a laptop until near the end of 3rd year, and even when I got one, I barely ever brought it to classes. I did just fine. You will probably benefit from a laptop for your clerkships, though.