Are internship and postdoc face-to-face hours requested when applying for licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

resi2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many licensing board websites specify a certain number of "supervised professional experience" hours to be completed during internship and postdoc, but I'm having a hard time finding information on whether a certain proportion of those hours need to be face-to-face direct contact hours with clients. Do ftf hours get reported when applying for licensure? Does it vary by state?

Members don't see this ad.

In my state, yes- the internship director needs to report the percentage hours spent in face to face client contact. There are specified requirements for % hours clinical work, and % hours of ftf client contact. There likely some variance across states, though probably a lot of similarity, too. You should aim to meet the most stringent criteria of all the places you’d imagine working, as well as any nearby border states (this is a bigger deal if, like me, you’re in an area (e.g., New England) where you’re 30 minutes or less from multiple states.

During my postdoc, I kept recorded logs of admin hours vs. direct hours (that my supervisor signed off on weekly, as my state board required that I kept), but my state BOP didn’t ask to see them or care about the postdoc hours breakdown as long as I got the 1500 total hours signed off on by my supervisor at the end.

Internship hours verification however, required a form from my training director with the breakdown of direct vs. indirect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking more into this now, specifically for internship. It seems like the states that I am looking at (IL), do not have a requirement for F2F for internship.

Varies by state. I'd suggest tracking as such regardless, just in case, while also looking into the specific requirements of any state(s) in which you think you might get licensed.

That is what I am doing right now. I created an excel spreadsheet that basically follows T2T, but that way I know for sure. Just difficult right now because I am unsure what state I may get licensed, so just looking through the top 10 or so, but it really is quite a mess. Maybe this is a reason to stay in the VA/Federal system.

Nah, a 15-20% pay increase is more than enough incentive to spend some extra time logging hours until licensure. ;)

Seems like for ECP (at least a staff position as opposed to a traditional post-doc), VA could be more lucrative? I definitely see other cons though in the system that could be challenging to put up with, especially as a provider as opposed to a student.

Seems like for ECP (at least a staff position as opposed to a traditional post-doc), VA could be more lucrative? I definitely see other cons though in the system that could be challenging to put up with, especially as a provider as opposed to a student.

It's the same, better than some for pay for the first 2-3 years. After that, you start falling behind pretty quick. In some markets, anyway.

Is this true for generalists as well, compared to an AMC?

Going to vary by region, but I moved to a not for profit hospital system and secured a fairly hefty raise with similar benefits. I have several friends who have done similarly in other settings.

Utah requires you to report hours by supervisor, for pre and post-doctoral hours, which is ridiculous because we were never told to track them this way. So yeah I guess it depends on the state.

Does anyone know any specific states that require reporting of f2f hours? And is there a minimum requirement?

Does anyone know any specific states that require reporting of f2f hours? And is there a minimum requirement?

I really wouldnt worry about it. 500-600 hours--25% of full-time (2000 hours) is pretty universally expected and accepted. I think that is an average of only 11-12 hours/week. If you are in a full-time clinical post-doc, this is no problem. In hybrid research/clinical positions, you will need to more cognizant obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I really wouldnt worry about it. 500-600 hours--25% of full-time (2000 hours) is pretty universally expected and accepted. I think that is an average of only 11-12 hours/week. If you are in a full-time clinical post-doc, this is no problem. In hybrid research/clinical positions, you will need to more cognizant obviously.

I was thinking about neuropsych post-docs with psychometrist support...if you're not doing much of your own testing, I could see that number being lower than 25%.