Are Jews ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffyone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, are Jews an over represented minority in medicine? Since I'm Jewish, I'm nervous that I will be considered an over represented minority. Any clarification will be very appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming you're Ashkenazi, you're ORM but only in the same way that white non-Jews are ORM. The days of the Jewish quota are way far behind us.

Reactions: 3 users
Assuming you're Ashkenazi, you're ORM but only in the same way that white non-Jews are ORM. The days of the Jewish quota are way far behind us.
Ya I'm ashkenazi. I'm glad to hear that. Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)
ORM isn't really a thing in med school admissions. There's URM and then there's everyone else. You are not a URM.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, are Jews an over represented minority in medicine? Since I'm Jewish, I'm nervous that I will be considered an over represented minority. Any clarification will be very appreciated.

Yes.

Why are you nervous? Your biggest competition pool is other ORMs. URMS are only a handful.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.

Why are you nervous? Your biggest competition pool is other ORMs. URMS are only a handful.
I was nervous since I heard that some orm like Asians are held to higher standards than other people

I was nervous since I heard that some orm like Asians are held to higher standards than other people

That's true, but think about this: It is accepted practice for schools to report the White/Asian/Black/Hispanic/NA breakdown of their class.

There are way fewer URMs (hence the name), so their standards are probably going to be a bit lower. It's important to represent the patient population, so if that means accepting slightly lower stats from URMs, so be it. But yes, the means are lower. For AAs, for example, the mean total MCAT was 504 while the mean for whites was 511.2 (for matriculants). So, yeah. It's definitely lower. The GPA follows suit, which you can see here: https://www.aamc.org/download/321498/data/factstablea18.pdf

But, what's also important to note is that last year, there were only 4,344 AA applicants to medical school and over 25,000 white applicants (link: https://www.aamc.org/download/321472/data/factstablea8.pdf). So yeah, when you have a **** ton of white people applying, you can afford to be choosy.

Edit: there were about a thousand AA matriculants, with ~34.5% of AA applicants matriculating. Contrast that with the 10,825 whites that matriculated (~42.4%) https://www.aamc.org/download/321474/data/factstablea9.pdf.

Reactions: 2 users