Are lab and lecture usually off?

OrangeCaramel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking Anatomy and Physiology at a community college right now (I know), and the lecture and lab almost never match up. For example, we may learn about the reproductive system in the first week of the month in lecture, but we will not get to the reproductive system until the third week of the month! It becomes quite confusing especially when you start a different subject in lecture. Does this happen in college courses? Like real college courses? even in my high school lab/lecture series, everything lined up most of the time, which made hands-on learning make sense. I was able to learn better that way.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on when your lab is scheduled. They might teach about something on Wednesday in a lecture. People who have lab Monday will have to deal with it without having it introduced in lecture. Those who have lab Friday will have seen it before in lecture.

But usually, they're coordinated so you learn roughly the same material within the week. This happened in chem, bio, and physics.

Thanks I will be sure to think of that when I sign up for courses in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine were usually off, topic wise. I found it really helpful to take p chem I lecture and then next semester I took I chem II lecture with the first o Chem lab. That way I already knew the topics for lab and had a better understanding of why I was doing stuff.

At the beginning of the class the lecture and lab are sometimes off. It takes a while for you to have the background built for the two to match up.

This is REALLY variable by course, at least it was at my institution.

Sometimes lab and lecture had very different goals for students, and therefore, they never matched up at all. Other times, they were in sync. Sometimes, they were a week or two off.
Oh, college. :p

I am taking Anatomy and Physiology at a community college right now (I know), and the lecture and lab almost never match up. For example, we may learn about the reproductive system in the first week of the month in lecture, but we will not get to the reproductive system until the third week of the month! It becomes quite confusing especially when you start a different subject in lecture. Does this happen in college courses? Like real college courses? even in my high school lab/lecture series, everything lined up most of the time, which made hands-on learning make sense. I was able to learn better that way.

My school's labs are always after lectures. They are well timed in the sense that you usually have labs between 2-7 days after your lecture.