Are large veins or venules innervated by smooth muscle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fit2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that lymph vessels are innervated by smooth muscle as well as indirect result of the skeletal muscle.

I was wondering if the same is the case for veins. I know that blood in veins moves up against gravity as the skeletal muscle squeezes on the veins and because valves restrict bloodflow, blood is forced upwards. However, is there any smooth muscle innervation to cause blood to move up?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're asking about composition?
Innervation means nerves involved.

Smooth muscle is innervated mostly by the autonomic nervous system, and depending on which tissue it can be affected by sympathetic and parasympathetic in different ways.

The valves prevent back flow, not flow forward, just to clarify.

Arteries are thicker than veins as they have to handle the high blood pressure from the heart.

Again the smooth muscle in these tissues are innervated by nervous system to allow dialation and constriction by the muscle itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Right I meant backflow. I suppose my question was if there's any smooth muscle control on the veins or if it's all just indirect from skeletal.
But I believe I got it now: veins are controlled by smooth muscle but to a small extent (compared to arteries)

Right I meant backflow. I suppose my question was if there's any smooth muscle control on the veins or if it's all just indirect from skeletal.
But I believe I got it now: veins are controlled by smooth muscle but to a small extent (compared to arteries)

That's true.

This is a weird analogy type thing, but back in the Vietnam war I believe they had POWs line up and stand straight up with out moving in the heat. However many would collapse cause of a clot of lack of blood flow since they couldn't move. They figured out if they slightly flex their calfs and feet muscles they could ensure blood flowed.

What I'm saying a lot of it is skeletal muscle, and just the drive of blood from behind.

Reactions: 1 user