Are MCAT physics problems really difficult? I they similar to textbook problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My physics book has complicated work problems. I was wondering how the mcat physics problems are. I always hear about people doing very well on the PS part of the mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my friends took it this past summer and she said it was much easier than she was expecting. Most of the stuff she could extrapolate from the passages, and the discrete questions weren't overly difficult. She got a 32.

One of my friends took it this past summer and she said it was much easier than she was expecting. Most of the stuff she could extrapolate from the passages, and the discrete questions weren't overly difficult. She got a 32.

...Of course she was also in the top 15% of MCAT test takers...

My physics book has complicated work problems. I was wondering how the mcat physics problems are. I always hear about people doing very well on the PS part of the mcat.
they do as well as any other part of the test. it's all standardized.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT science focuses on the basics. The problems on the mcat can be solved in one or two steps.

Easier than text book problems. More conceptual and if it does require calculation... it is usually only one or two steps. There might be one monster physics question but if so, it will only be one.

ALOT of it is equation manipulation. For example they gave you a equation a=v^2/r and basically they ask you so now the orbit is 1/4 as much as before what about acceleration? you have to figure out do you time 0.25 on other side or divide?

That is why i think alot of the prep books are ******ed. they are way too hard. They all have problems where I know how to do it and still take 15 min and 1 page of writing to get the answers.

I just took the test in September and you just need to know some basic formulas. Its not as complicated as courses you take in college.

Most of my physical science unfortunately was on Gchem acid and bases!!!

I know this may sound crazy but the Science portion of MCAT isn't really a "science" test. Sure you need to learn some formulas but it really focuses on critical reading and math computation. I can see how someone who wasn't a science major could end up getting a 15.

ALOT of it is equation manipulation. For example they gave you a equation a=v^2/r and basically they ask you so now the orbit is 1/4 as much as before what about acceleration? you have to figure out do you time 0.25 on other side or divide?

That is why i think alot of the prep books are ******ed. they are way too hard. They all have problems where I know how to do it and still take 15 min and 1 page of writing to get the answers.

I definitely agree. When I was working through the problems with AAMC I never had trouble solving the them quickly and getting them right. However certain problems in Kaplan and TPR were very math intensive , nothing like the actual test problems

I was surprised that I hardly needed to do any calculations. The calculations were not that bad either.

I agree with the above posts, there aren't as many calculations. Mainly, the PS section tests concept comprehension (i.e. being able to manipulate and understand why certain equations are they way they are.)

Revert to basics always. That's the key to fostering first principles in your mind.