Are moderators even reading the threads they close?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nightowl asked a pretty legitimate question concerning toxicity. OP was obviously NOT asking for advise (as they already went to the vet, and got home and treated, and the dogs are fine), but rather clarification as to what had happened.

The great thing about SDN is it offers different professionals across many different health care fields that chance to discuss their issues.

Nightowl, apparently all you have to do is preface your statements:

"While preparing for my toxicology exam I came across this case study... "A 2 year old dog begins acting lethargic after ingesting..." Anyone have any ideas?"

Mods, if you are going to close everything even possibly pertaining to anything interesting without reading the post, so be it, VIN it is for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I saw nothing wrong with that post and would have been interested to see peoples responses myself. Since nightowl wasn't saying "OMG my dogs are dying in front of me from dried flower poisoning!! Please tell me whether I should give them x,y, and z!" and the case was completely resolved, I don't see why we couldn't have a discussion about what was possibly going on.

Nightowl asked a pretty legitimate question concerning toxicity. OP was obviously NOT asking for advise (as they already went to the vet, and got home and treated, and the dogs are fine), but rather clarification as to what had happened.

The great thing about SDN is it offers different professionals across many different health care fields that chance to discuss their issues.

Nightowl, apparently all you have to do is preface your statements:

"While preparing for my toxicology exam I came across this case study... "A 2 year old dog begins acting lethargic after ingesting..." Anyone have any ideas?"

Mods, if you are going to close everything even possibly pertaining to anything interesting without reading the post, so be it, VIN it is for me.

:thumbup:

I was also disappointed in that closing, as it really did seem like the mod read only the first 2 lines or so... the OP had very obviously stated that they had already attended a vet and that the puppies were doing fine, now she was just curious. :)

Personally, I tend to not want to dampen curiosity, especially on a forum for (hopeful and to-be) health professionals!

Members don't see this ad :)
The person outlined the medical treatment that was provided for their animals, and asked for comments about it. Seems like exactly the type of thread that would be closed.

I'm sure we could have had a good discussion on the topic, but their post was really not the one that would have gotten it started.

I agree with the closing of the thread.

I think it's pretty clear that if you ask about a medical condition in your own animal, it's probably going to get closed. On some of the forums, discussing specific conditions or even the management of a specific patient is allowed (anesthesia is really good about this). But if it regards you, a family member or a pet, it's likely to get squashed.

Perhaps it has to do with whether or not Joe Q Public could read it on a forum and use the information in his own household then potentially, in our liability society, blame the SDN.

However, in this case, what Joe Q Public would have learned was... take your animal to an emergency vet! :thumbup:

I think I would have said, talk to your veterinarian about the case summary.

However, in this case, what Joe Q Public would have learned was... take your animal to an emergency vet! :thumbup:

Except that if the thread continued, there was potential for someone to say 'if a dog eats X give it Y' or some such stuff. Just as if a family member calls me up and asks me what to do about diarrhea, I am going to give them a standard diet to try, but putting it on here could be considered medical advice. I don't know if I would have closed it, but at the same time, I can understand why it might concern moderators.

OOT a bit but if a moderator is abusing his/her power, what can we do?