Are my DAT scores terrible? and if they are should i wait to submit application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonghyunie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm stuck in a big dilemma here and I need your advice.
So I took the DAT for the first time in early June for the first time. I got a 19AA but a terrible 16TS, a 24PA, 17QR, 26RC. I have a 3.76 GPA.

I'm not confident my DAT scores are good enough to get into any dental schools. So I decided to schedule a retake but the earliest I can retake it is September 20th. Now I know that is VERY late in the application cycle, so some people recommended that I just apply with my 19 DAT score and indicate that I'm retaking the test.
HOWEVER, I heard that even though you indicate that you're retaking the test, a very low score will inherently knock you into the "junk pile" before the AdComs can see your new DAT scores.

Can I get advice on what to do? I regret waiting this long to take the test and not having done well.

I don't know if this matters but it may be relevant; I live in South Carolina so MUSC is a big choice for me for dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

19AA isn't terrible, and your GPA is solid, so you do stand a chance i'd say.
If you have the money and can afford to apply this cycle AND maybe next cycle, then it's really up to you to move forward with your application. If money isn't an issue, then why not try?

A lot of dental schools don't entirely evaluate your application if you indicate that you're retaking the DATs, and they haven't received the new scores yet. I would say taking it September 20th is very late and if it were me, I would just apply with your current scores.

I've seen some schools not even consider a student with 16's on their DAT. That part freaks me out. Money isn't a problem, however I'm already registered to take the test.

I just got off the phone from MUSC admissions and the lady said to go ahead and submit now and just indicate that I'm retaking the test in September and "we'll probably get the score by October". Now, I'm going to take her response with a grain of salt because AdComs can be quite the unsympathetic friend and I don't know if during that call she's thinking "oh, another one to not have to worry about, junk pile!" . Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen some schools not even consider a student with 16's on their DAT. That part freaks me out. Money isn't a problem, however I'm already registered to take the test.

I just got off the phone from MUSC admissions and the lady said to go ahead and submit now and just indicate that I'm retaking the test in September and "we'll probably get the score by October". Now, I'm going to take her response with a grain of salt because AdComs can be quite the unsympathetic friend and I don't know if during that call she's thinking "oh, another one to not have to worry about, junk pile!" . Any suggestions?

That you'll have to research. Some schools do have minimum DAT scores for certain sections! So just keep that in the back of your head when you apply :)

you basically screwed up on the only scores that actually matter
luckily all you have to do is memorize a bunch of crap and do a ton of practice problems to make yourself into an awesome applicant

you basically screwed up on the only scores that actually matter
luckily all you have to do is memorize a bunch of crap and do a ton of practice problems to make yourself into an awesome applicant
**goes to weep in a corner**

Reactions: 1 users
If you were to use Chads videos, those chem scores could easily be in the 20's. That would probably bring your AA up to the 20's as well. I would say apply right now, if you have the money. If you are willing to wait a year I would bet you could destroy the DAT and give yourself an awesome chance to get into the school of your choosing. Plus, an extra year might be good to add more to your extra curricular activities. With all that said, you aren't completely out of the race at this point. A 19AA is still competitive, and if a school doesn't have a minimum requirement of 17, I'd say you have a shot at this point.

If you were to use Chads videos, those chem scores could easily be in the 20's. That would probably bring your AA up to the 20's as well. I would say apply right now, if you have the money. If you are willing to wait a year I would bet you could destroy the DAT and give yourself an awesome chance to get into the school of your choosing. Plus, an extra year might be good to add more to your extra curricular activities. With all that said, you aren't completely out of the race at this point. A 19AA is still competitive, and if a school doesn't have a minimum requirement of 17, I'd say you have a shot at this point.
I agree. Chads videos are an invaluable resource. I used it for 3 months, took my DAT, and scored 23 gen chem and 21 orgo