General Admissions & OTCAS Are my stats good enough for OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplegold86

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I was wondering how my stats compared with other students applying for ot school. I am worried that my GRE scores will be detrimental to acceptance.

GPA: 3.74
Pre-Req GPA (thus far): 3.8 (taking 2 more pre-reqs currently)
GRE: 151 Math, 147 Verbal, 3.0 writing
40 volunteer hours at a pediatric site
2nd year Special Education Teacher

I am taking the GRE again later this month, however, I do not think my score will be that much higher :-/

I am applying to USC, NYU, Columbia, East Carolina, Lenoir Rhyne and possibly UNC

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are definitely very competitive! I'm applying to USC, so I can only speak for that school. I know USC has a cutoff for GRE scores. You are above the cutoff for quant, but you will need to improve your verbal and writing scores. I believe the cutoff for verbal is 153 and 3.5 for writing.

I'm retaking the gre bc I need to improve my verbal score. When will you be applying to USC?

I am retaking my GRE in late october hoping to get a good gre score to apply in November :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can always submit your OTCAS application with a GRE test "planned" to be taken. That's what I did! I submitted my first score, had my app verified, then submitted the second score once I completed it and sent the schools an email saying I updated my app. The "standardized testing" part of OTCAS doesn't lock after you submit. That way schools can start looking at the other parts of your application! If you are on the border, they'll wait to make a decision till your second score comes in.

Thank you! That is actually a good idea!

Do some schools make it required that you have to have the gre scores by the date of application?

Do some schools make it required that you have to have the gre scores by the date of application?

I think as long as you have your first score in, you'll be fine! I know most schools require it by the time of application, but they'll usually wait to make a final decision if you tell them you are planning on taking it again.

Also, ask them how they look at GRE scores! I know for all the schools that I looked at, they take the highest score from every time you've taken in. So say you take it again and you did better on verbal but worse on math, they'll take your first math score and second verbal score! For me personally, I am a HORRIBLE test taker and your situation is very similar to mine. I have a high GPA like you, but I got a V 150 and Q 149 the first time and a V 150 Q 151 a second time. I don't think its fair that our OT career rests on the fact if we remember how to find the area of a triangle haha

I hope any of this advice helped!

So should I submit my application ASAP or should I wait till I take the GRE on Thursday?

If I were you, I'd submit now since it will be awhile till you get your writing score!

You can always email the schools saying you are waiting for verification, but you'll be taking the GRE again soon and will give them the scores ASAP. That way they'll know to specifically look for that!

Help people! Super self conscious about my stats :/ Can anyone tell me if I'm good enough hahaha

University: University of Illinois-Chicago
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.3 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.4 depending on school
GRE:
143 Verbal
143 Quantitative
3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Division 1 softball, Greek National Softball Team, Works as a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercises in clients over 60, works as an ABA therapist with children with autism, volunteers weekly at the animal shelter cleaning cages, feeds homeless monthly in Chicago

Volunteer: 100 Outpatient, 20 inpatient, 10 pedatric

Applying: West Coast University, Touro College, Carroll University, Springfield College, University of the Sciences, Midwestern (AZ and IL), Allen College-Unitypoint Health, and Cox College

Acceptances:
Rejections: West Coast University, Touro College ):
Interviews: West Coast University

Obviously schools that don't require a GRE since mine is so low

Help people! Super self conscious about my stats :/ Can anyone tell me if I'm good enough hahaha

University: University of Illinois-Chicago
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.3 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.4 depending on school
GRE:
143 Verbal
143 Quantitative
3.5 Writing

Extra-Curric: Division 1 softball, Greek National Softball Team, Works as a personal trainer specializing in corrective exercises in clients over 60, works as an ABA therapist with children with autism, volunteers weekly at the animal shelter cleaning cages, feeds homeless monthly in Chicago

Volunteer: 100 Outpatient, 20 inpatient, 10 pedatric

Applying: West Coast University, Touro College, Carroll University, Springfield College, University of the Sciences, Midwestern (AZ and IL), Allen College-Unitypoint Health, and Cox College

Acceptances:
Rejections: West Coast University, Touro College ):
Interviews: West Coast University

Obviously schools that don't require a GRE since mine is so low

I think you will at least get into one school because of the volunteer work and other aspects on your resume. Are you planning to take the GRE again?

I think you will at least get into one school because of the volunteer work and other aspects on your resume. Are you planning to take the GRE again?
If I don't get in this application cycle, yes. As well as retaking a&pII which is what's lowering my prerequisite gpa and taking more online classes to raise my gpa

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering how my stats compared with other students applying for ot school. I am worried that my GRE scores will be detrimental to acceptance.

I am taking the GRE again later this month, however, I do not think my score will be that much higher :-/

I am applying to USC, NYU, Columbia, East Carolina, Lenoir Rhyne and possibly UNC

Your stats are surprisingly similar to mine!! Our GRE Q & V scores are basically switched and I had a 3 on the writing section but after retaking it I had a much easier time knowing what to expect and brought it up! I found it helpful to reach out to admissions and ask if they thought I should retake the exam/if they consider applicants holistically. Essentially the schools I asked said if you feel your other stats are strong enough (which your GPA is high so that could be factor) to apply to the program because they look at all aspects of an applicant. Again, this could vary by program and while I doubt someone in admissions would tell you not to apply you can get a feel from their email if they actually look at applicants subjectively or not. Also many schools I have talked to encourage applicants who are weak in one area to apply early so they get greater consideration.

Hello Everyone!

Our stats are kind of similar. OTCAS said my overall GPA was 3.79, and my pre-requisite GPA was 4.0 or 3.9. My GRE scores were not that good. (just barely above the minimum for the school) but my writing was a 4.0. I only did 20 hours volunteer at one place and 15 at another site. Im only applying to one school and got an interview already. So hopefully you will have the same luck! Good luck

Our stats are kind of similar. OTCAS said my overall GPA was 3.79, and my pre-requisite GPA was 4.0 or 3.9. My GRE scores were not that good. (just barely above the minimum for the school) but my writing was a 4.0. I only did 20 hours volunteer at one place and 15 at another site. Im only applying to one school and got an interview already. So hopefully you will have the same luck! Good luck

Which school is that?

Hello Everyone!

Hi, sorry to ask after a few months, but have you heard back from any of the schools that you applied to?

Hi, sorry to ask after a few months, but have you heard back from any of the schools that you applied to?

No worries!

I got accepted into Hofstra! :) but denied from ECU and AT Still :-(

I'm glad I got accepted somewhere but I still hate getting rejected