Are Ob-Gyns getting deployed??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsmooth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if Ob-Gyns are getting deployed along with other specialties or are they needed stateside just to take care of service member family needs.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a cousin who's an OB/GYN get sent to Iraq as a general surgeon becuase, heck he has some surgery skills. He was pretty pissed but you better believe these guys/girls are going over there.

I am an ob/gyn resident and the answer is... yes. They definitely get deployed. Air Force ob/gyns get deployed less than Army ob/gyns. (From what I have seen.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how they come up with this, but for army FSTs an OB/GYN is considered to be 1/2 of a general surgeon. Typically, there is an actual general surgeon as part of an FST as well.

I guess that means that OB/GYNs can do general surgery as long as there is back-up?? I know that being deployed can mean sacrificing some degree of standard of care, but I'd be nervous as hell if an OB/GYN were about to do my colectomy.

I too would be nervous if I were the ob/gyn doing your colectomy. But some of the ob/gyns that get deployed as general surgeons are gyn oncs and they are very proficient at doing intestinal, bladder surgeries as their cases often entail metastasis into these areas.

I could be wrong, but what I've heard is that OB/GYN's are being deployed as "general surgeons" with the thought that at least they know basic surgical technique and their way around an abdomen. That way, general surgeons can actually do most of the case and move on to something else, leaving the OB/GYN to perhaps to a simpler part of the case or something in an area with which they are familiar and then get things closed up.

I don't know how they come up with this, but for army FSTs an OB/GYN is considered to be 1/2 of a general surgeon. Typically, there is an actual general surgeon as part of an FST as well.

I guess that means that OB/GYNs can do general surgery as long as there is back-up?? I know that being deployed can mean sacrificing some degree of standard of care, but I'd be nervous as hell if an OB/GYN were about to do my colectomy.

I could be wrong, but what I've heard is that OB/GYN's are being deployed as "general surgeons" with the thought that at least they know basic surgical technique and their way around an abdomen. That way, general surgeons can actually do most of the case and move on to something else, leaving the OB/GYN to perhaps to a simpler part of the case or something in an area with which they are familiar and then get things closed up.

This sounds to ridiculous its funny and sad at the same time. I remember being called to the OR a number of times by GYN to close a hole in the bowel, or some ridiculously simple thing like that. Yet they are being deployed to an active war area where they could be expected to do trauma laps!! I am sure they are not happy about it. And neither should be any soldier expecting quality care. Guess the almighties think this is acceptable.

one might think so, but then shouldn't urologists be deployed in the same capacity?

Hi, wife of bubblehead here...I am an ob/gyn in the Navy and we actually rarely get deployed - from my dept maybe one gyn is deployed every 12 to 18 mos for a 6mos stint. In places like Iraq, we are considered primary surgeons for gyn and ob stuff, but our role also includes being an asst to the gen surgeons for thier cases - we do not primary gen surg cases, unless you are a deployed Gyn Onc - they are trained to do primary bowel surgery, etc. We did have one gyn onc who was a CATF Surgeon but again, he was gyn onc, so could operate in a gen surg capacity. None of the general ob/gyns in our dept have had to operate in gen surg cases as primary, to my knowledge. only as asst's. That is my limited experience though, just from our dept. Of about 20 staff docs, we have had about 5 deployed, 2 for 6 months to Iraq (one a gyn onc) and then the other 3 went to assist with the humanitarian efforts after Katrina - they did all ob/gyn stuff there. That is over the past 5 years! Hope this helps. Again, this is my limited knowledge!

There have been consistantly been 1-2 staff OB/GYNs deployed from TAMC for at least the last 3 years that I know about. Yes they can be deployed to an FST in a general surgery capacity but typically they are in a CSH environment operating within their competency.