Are orthotics worth the investment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunasly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm starting a new job that requires me to be on my feet a lot. Would it be wise to invest in orthotics?

I'm not looking for medical advice, but rather what I am asking is: Should one wear orthotics if they don't have any foot related issues?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Orthotics are a means to treat pathology. They are certainly worth the investment if they are used to reduce pain and ultimately hopefully reduce and perhaps eliminate the need for surgery, as well as the substantial RISK and much higher costs that comes along with it.

As far as preventing aches and pains, definitely try a high end OTC insert before jumping straight to an expensive custom which MAY OR MAY NOT even help.

For the record: this in no way is medical advice relating specific to your pathology. Please consult a Podiatric Physician for specific medical advice and a treatment plan tailored specifically to your needs.

Orthotics make the muscles in your feet even more weak than just wearing normal insoles. Go minimalist and get a pair of Vivobarefoot Ra or Darhma. Your feet/legs/back will feel so much better at the end of the day in these.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lunasly, call me when you get plantar fasciitis from standing 8-10 hours in these things

Yeah right. I wear minimalist all day. Run half marathons in my VFF and have never had healthier/stronger feet and legs. Plus I get weird looks all the time lol.

Yeah right. I wear minimalist all day. Run half marathons in my VFF and have never had healthier/stronger feet and legs. Plus I get weird looks all the time lol.

Then you're the exception to the rule. Would you recommend Vibram's to an obese patient? Or a patient with PTTD? Oh wait, you're not in podiatry school yet and you're just giving advice anyway based on your own experience.

Anecdotal evidence. It must be true.

Actually, it might be interesting to see evidence on either side of the issue outside of anecdotal evidence. If anybody wants to post a link to an article either for or against minimalist shoes, please do. Also, since the OP asked about orthotics, if you have any good articles on orthotics, lets see them.

I should add that when I say "article" I mean a peer-reviewed scientific article, not an opinion piece.

Interesting article. It's not what I would call "balanced" in the sense that he's not looking at evidence from both sides. The formatting of the references almost made my eyes bleed and made me not want to look through them. In my brief glance at the references, it seems like he made some jumps in logic. This article in particular :http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16390643 is one that he cites saying "Lees and Klemerman have demonstrated that there is no correlation between foot type and running injuries, specifically with a pes planus deformity." If you just look at the abstract, which is all I have access to at home, it doesn't appear that they were even looking at running injuries in the study. If I have some free time tomorrow I'll try to dive into these references some more. Any other thoughts or articles?

Being on one's feet does not equal running.
Standing does not equal walking.
Being heavy does not equal obese.
Being me does not equal being you.
And I do believe the OP's inquiry was regarding orthotics, not minimalist shoes.

Here is a thought: Root gives us what we need to bridge the internal/external moment interface. The arguments over whether orthotics help or hinder and the awesomeness of quasi-barefooted-ness can not have a single answer. Subjects with the same data points might not form the same opinion due to activity, occupation, age, gender, terrain....
Ankle Breaker and Podofile gave great responses. Ldsrmdude, are you wisely suggesting posters read more?

Honestly, the main reason why I brought this up is because in the clinical rotations forum the medical students/residents were talking about the best shoes to wear during a rotation. Some of the posters suggested that students should invest in orthotics (custom or not) that they can just slip into their favourite /professional shoes instead of buying ugly dansko's.

Since I'll also be on my feet for large periods of time with this new job, I thought I'd apply the same logic. However, this thread taught me that I know **** all and I still have no idea what to do...

You know the most important thing- how you feel.
If your feet and ankles don't hurt and you aren't having problems with your knees, hips, back or neck, you dont have bothersome corns and callised skin, your toes dont seem to be curling/twisting/stiffening, Go to a good shoe store (the kind that sells Dansko and other 'ugly' brands). Tell the salesman what you need. Hope it all works out.