are psychology courses counted in science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juiceman311

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes/no? prefer Yes, but it's probably no

Members don't see this ad.

Take psych regardless. Real easy A... abnormal psych & sociology are two more easy A's. But it might depend on your school; one of my buddies went to a school where they had to read dense journal articles & write summaries. Otherwise...

it depends. for amcas, psychology is considered a behavioral science and is not a part of your BCPM gpa. for tmdsas (texas's system) it would count as they lump in all science classes, not just biology, chem, physics, and math.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sicilian said:
Take psych regardless. Real easy A... abnormal psych & sociology are two more easy A's. But it might depend on your school; one of my buddies went to a school where they had to read dense journal articles & write summaries. Otherwise...

I took General Psych, Social Psych, and Personality Theory my sophomore year when I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in after I decided Chem wasn't for me. I got a B in Social Psych with an 89.5 average, and the professor knows my family personally :mad:

Yeah that has to stuck. I don't understand prof's who won't give 0.5% of a point.

Sicilian said:
Yeah that has to stuck. I don't understand prof's who won't give 0.5% of a point.

My friend got a 79.97% final class average in thermodynamics, professor wouldn't give him the 0.03% round up (as if it's even a question) for the B...stuck him with the C. my buddy went through the school's formal procedure to have it over-turned...and nothing, they upheld the douche-ism. he knows who he is, he comes on here often...homo :love:

juiceman311 said:
yes/no? prefer Yes, but it's probably no

I think that you can count things like a physiological psychology course in the science gpa since it's mostly biology.

I was a psych major and am finishing up my Masters in psychologal science. Psychology is really broad; it can be soft and fluffly (social psychology, spiritual psychology) or hardore biology (psychopharmacology, biopsychology, neuropsychology). I think the med school admissions boards would acknowledge the latter as being a branch of biology.

no.

Since when did Psychology even come close to science courses?

Premed advisor from our university told us that by including those cheesy easy classes as science courses for trying to boost your science GPA would give med-school admissions bad impressions of you.

My premed advisor said that science psych classes count as bio - such as neuroscience, physiological psych, etc. Basically, if you can argue - according to the class's description - that it is heavy in the science, then count it as bio. I'm majoring in neuroscience and some of those classes, technically in the psych dept, are much closer to bio (they even have labs).

is computer science counted in the science gpa? it should be because it involves a lot of math

Many psych courses overlap into neuroscience or psycho biology or other science courses. if it does, I' pretty sure you can count it as science. if it's purely in the psych depart, I don't think you can.

PS: psych courses can become really difficult in the advanced level and grad work.

Kiroro said:
no.

Since when did Psychology even come close to science courses?

Premed advisor from our university told us that by including those cheesy easy classes as science courses for trying to boost your science GPA would give med-school admissions bad impressions of you.

Easy classes? Last semester my physiological psych course was the hardest one that I was taking, even harder than organic which I was taking at the same time.

i spent five years as a psych major at penn state university with a focus in biological sciences. none of my psych classes count towards my BCPM GPA -- even my upper level psychophysiology and neurology classes. however, my neuro professor wrote me a letter of reccomendation that is being used as one of my science LORs. as for the comment that these are "easy cheesy" classes, that is certainly true of the introductory level social and abnormal psych classes.. but advanced level courses in psychopharmacology and certain language/cognition classes that i took were quite certainly the hardest courses i took in school. they made some of the "pure" science courses that i had to take to satisfy the pre-med requirements (organic, immunology, etc) seem like childs play.

the perception that psychology is just social sciences fluff is too much of a generalization, because psychology itself is an extremely broad major. psych proponents have been fighting this bias for quite some time.. i remember writing a paper during my junior year about the official efforts to disentagle psychology from philosophy and establish it as one of the empircal sciences during the latter stages of the ninteenth century (specifically at Leipzig.) some of these efforts are more foolhardy than others. despite strives towards utter objectivity (a hallmark of the "pure sciences" [with apologies to einstein, rolling in his relativistic grave!]), there are recalcitrant aspects of philosophy and sociology that aint goin' nowhere within the discipline.

this doesn't have to work against you.. psych majors are widely considered non-trad applicants specifically for the reasons listed above. i'm certainly hoping it works out in my favor (no interviews yet!) but if i had to do it all over again, i wouldn't change a thing. i'd like to think my major gives me a pretty unique perspective on the sciences, and it helps put a lot of persepctive on medically-related interpersonal relationships (i.e. doctor-patient, doctor-doctor, etc.)

sorry to ramble, but this is a subject close to my heart and something that i've dealt with quite often as an undergrad. for all you psych majors out there, more power to you! you can still rock the MCATs, get into med school, and go into whatever specialty you like (you don't need to pidgeonhole yourselves into psychiatry.) :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
^Well said, fellow psychologist!

http://www.princeton.edu/hpa/QofW_grades.html

"
Your Science or "BCPM" GPA
Hello. I had a quick question for you: what do I count in my pre-med GPA? Is it all science courses or just the required pre-med courses? Do engineering and math classes count? What about astrophysics and geoscience? Thanks so much for your help.
Answer: Your "pre-med" GPA is more commonly known as your science GPA, and sometimes referred to as your "BCPM" GPA (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math). When you apply to medical schools using the online AMCAS application, you may include any course under the "BCPM" heading if over 50% of the content of the class was one of those four basic science subjects, regardless of the course number, professor, or Department. AMCAS leaves these decisions up to you; you are the person who categories your courses as science or "all other." So when we ask for your science GPA, that's what we mean. Engineering, Geosciences, Astrophysics, some Psychology and Neuroscience…there are many fields that involve "science," but according to your med school applications a majority of the courses must be Bio, Chem, Physics, or Math."

So psychology does not count?

Psych was one of my majors in undergrad and some of the courses were definitely highly science based: pharmacology, physio psych, neuropsych etc. Anyway, I included those in my sci GPA, but not courses such as social psych. I didn't into run into any issues.

I'd say be conservative when deciding which psych courses should included in your sci GPA and consult your pre-med advisor if possible to clarify.

i spent five years as a psych major at penn state university with a focus in biological sciences. none of my psych classes count towards my BCPM GPA -- even my upper level psychophysiology and neurology classes. however, my neuro professor wrote me a letter of reccomendation that is being used as one of my science LORs. as for the comment that these are "easy cheesy" classes, that is certainly true of the introductory level social and abnormal psych classes.. but advanced level courses in psychopharmacology and certain language/cognition classes that i took were quite certainly the hardest courses i took in school. they made some of the "pure" science courses that i had to take to satisfy the pre-med requirements (organic, immunology, etc) seem like childs play.

the perception that psychology is just social sciences fluff is too much of a generalization, because psychology itself is an extremely broad major. psych proponents have been fighting this bias for quite some time.. i remember writing a paper during my junior year about the official efforts to disentagle psychology from philosophy and establish it as one of the empircal sciences during the latter stages of the ninteenth century (specifically at Leipzig.) some of these efforts are more foolhardy than others. despite strives towards utter objectivity (a hallmark of the "pure sciences" [with apologies to einstein, rolling in his relativistic grave!]), there are recalcitrant aspects of philosophy and sociology that aint goin' nowhere within the discipline.

this doesn't have to work against you.. psych majors are widely considered non-trad applicants specifically for the reasons listed above. i'm certainly hoping it works out in my favor (no interviews yet!) but if i had to do it all over again, i wouldn't change a thing. i'd like to think my major gives me a pretty unique perspective on the sciences, and it helps put a lot of persepctive on medically-related interpersonal relationships (i.e. doctor-patient, doctor-doctor, etc.)

sorry to ramble, but this is a subject close to my heart and something that i've dealt with quite often as an undergrad. for all you psych majors out there, more power to you! you can still rock the MCATs, get into med school, and go into whatever specialty you like (you don't need to pidgeonhole yourselves into psychiatry.) :thumbup:
This is great... thank you for taking your time to really debunk that person's statement. Honestly, Psych courses should be counted into the Science GPA; professors really take their time to make these courses undoubtedly difficult to an extent that proves the value, relevance, importance and overall rigor that the study of Psychology has been providing to students and humans for so long.