Are PTA's being phased out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nicetomeetyou

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry for the double post, but I wasn't sure if this should go in Pre-Physical Therapy or Physical Therapy forms. I elected to start the topic in both places.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading on a forum that the powers-that-be have implemented a new law that allows DPT's to provide the same sort of services that PTA's perform. Does that mean that PTA's are going to become obsolete in the near future? I am oscillating between PTA and DPT and I am naturally concerned about the long-term value of the degree that I pursue.
 
sorry for the double post, but I wasn't sure if this should go in Pre-Physical Therapy or Physical Therapy forms. I elected to start the topic in both places.

I can't remember where, but I remember reading on a forum that the powers-that-be have implemented a new law that allows DPT's to provide the same sort of services that PTA's perform. Does that mean that PTA's are going to become obsolete in the near future? I am oscillating between PTA and DPT and I am naturally concerned about the long-term value of the degree that I pursue.

I'm confused as it seems your post is a bit backwards. But, highly doubtful that the PTA will become obsolete in my opinion. There's just too many people that need help and not nearly enough PT's to do all the care. Currently there is about 250 PTA schools, and about 220 PT schools. Total number of PT students is much greater because of class sizes, but PTA students/grads are substantial so it is unlikely they will be phased out, not to mention the fact that the APTA is considering moving to a bachelor's baseline education for PTA's.