Are Scholarships possible when going to medical school?

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've heard about people in the past receiving scholarships. However, I don't know the rarity of it but does anyone have experience with this?

Do I have to be a superstar student in every aspect to receive one, differ from scholarship to scholarship?

I was just super curious about this, thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes scholarships do exist.

The vast majority are school specific, as opposed to the general scholarships common for undergrads that can be used anywhere. The schools use them as tools for recruitment and often times they're funded by a graduating class (like I received a one year "Class of 1960" scholarship for $1500) or an individual who decided to endow a scholarship (likely for tax purposes). Criteria vary - my state public medical school had a bunch of ones that had limitations like "a female student from one of three counties in the western portion of the state" or to "a male student who attended XYZ undergraduate college and performed in the choir there". There were various provisions on what the admissions department could do with the funds if no one fit the criteria for a given year. Some could be rolled in to the general scholarship fund, whereas others simply didn't give out an award.

Hi there,

I've heard about people in the past receiving scholarships. However, I don't know the rarity of it but does anyone have experience with this?

Do I have to be a superstar student in every aspect to receive one, differ from scholarship to scholarship?

I was just super curious about this, thank you! :)

Most people just take out loans, really. Although a thousand dollars here and there from scholarships to offset the price of books/board review would be sweet

Members don't see this ad :)
It is extremely rare. One does not budget for medical school by expecting to score scholarships. Much like undergrad, the richer schools have financial aid based on need. Those usually result in the most generous aid packages one hears about

Reactions: 1 user