Are skeleton models helpful in anatomy??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluerose786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone I know is trying to sell their skeleton model from medical school. He said he used it to study bones, vessels, attachments, etc. I will be a first year student this August, and I really don't know whether I need this model or not. Do medical students find it helpful to have their own model at home?? Is it worth buying? They brought it for 300 dollars, and are selling it for 150 dollars. Thanks for your help, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, while I think studying from a model skeleton can really help, I don't think it is at all necessary for you to purchase it. Your school should have some model skeletons in the lab. Additionally, there are some great atlases that depict what you need to know. Utilize your time in the lab well and study from the models and cadavers. Don't spend the money on the model...you could use that money elsewhere.

I don't of know any medical students who purchased model skeletons and they aced anatomy! Save your money!

Just my $0.02

If money is not an issue for you at all, then by all means get it, but it is really not necessary. Your lab should have adaquate skeletons and collections of disarticulated bones. Those, plus an atlas such as Netter and/or Rohen will be all you need to learn your bones. Trust me you will have bigger things to worry about then the bones when you're in gross anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your anatomy lab will have all the models you'll need. Besides, models will only get you so far and you'll spend less time on the bones themselves than other tissue. I'd use the $150 to buy Rohen's "Color Atlas of Anatomy".

bluerose786 said:
Someone I know is trying to sell their skeleton model from medical school. He said he used it to study bones, vessels, attachments, etc. I will be a first year student this August, and I really don't know whether I need this model or not. Do medical students find it helpful to have their own model at home?? Is it worth buying? They brought it for 300 dollars, and are selling it for 150 dollars. Thanks for your help, guys!

You do not need it. Your school will have bones available for you to check out and study and Netter's will get you through the rest