Are study abroad transcripts from non-US institutions seen by schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caribuwu

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm studying abroad this semester in Denmark through a Danish program. I'm taking four high-level science classes (300-classes, highest tier at my home uni), but my home university only sees if I get above a C and lists it on my transcript as P/F, without factoring in grades to my GPA. None of the science classes are prereqs, just major electives.
Say I do well in these four science classes. Would I be able to send these grades to medical schools to factor into my decision? On the opposite end of the spectrum, if I do poorly, these grades wouldn't be seen by schools, right? I've seen a lot of conflicting info on this topic, and it seems like it depends on if it's a US institution, or a non-US institution.

Here's DIS's description:
"DIS is a non-profit study abroad foundation established in Denmark in 1959, with locations in Copenhagen and Stockholm. DIS provides semester, academic year, and summer programs taught in English, and offers high-impact learning experiences for upper-division undergraduate students from distinguished North American colleges and universities."

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

go look at the AMCAS manual and they will spell out what happens.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! I'm studying abroad this semester in Denmark through a Danish program. I'm taking four high-level science classes (300-classes, highest tier at my home uni), but my home university only sees if I get above a C and lists it on my transcript as P/F, without factoring in grades to my GPA. None of the science classes are prereqs, just major electives.

That is all that the med schools will see.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to be sure that your participation comes with the university registrar's blessing (which I think it does). If that's the case, your DIS grades should be recognized as credits on your transcript that you will send to AMCAS or any application service. Now, you may want to be prepared in case the medical school that you accept a spot for wants your final academic transcripts for all institutions as a requirement of matriculation. In that case, you may have to ask DIS to send the transcript of your time in Denmark.

Obviously your study abroad grades if P/F will not be calculated into your GPA for your application. Confirm with your registrar.

Does this mean you will be in Denmark this summer while submitting your application, or will this happen next year?

Thank you for the replies! I looked through the AMCAS manual carefully, and you were all right - coursework appears as P/F on AMCAS, and a transcript exception should be required. Funny enough, AMCAS lists DIS as one of the institutions that they cannot accept transcripts from, so I guess I should've looked there first.
Now, you may want to be prepared in case the medical school that you accept a spot for wants your final academic transcripts for all institutions as a requirement of matriculation.
This was also mentioned in the manual, so I guess I still have to bust my ass here, especially since it's junior year coursework.
Thanks for the help! Cheers!