Are the incoming interns going to keep their jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibarne242

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So many people are getting laid off. It's really scary.
Are we all going to be working come July?
I know it can be hard to say. I know some people in the medical field getting laid off and I'm concerned about not having a position come July.
I know, I know. Residents are like "in-demand" or something. But isn't first year of residency kind of your least productive time? Idk I feel like that could be a good reason to delay our start date.
Is this possible?
Sorry I'm not trying to be a whistleblower or anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it can be hard to say. I know some people in the medical field getting laid off and I'm concerned about not having a position come July.
I know, I know. Residents are like "in-demand" or something. But isn't first year of residency kind of your least productive time? Idk I feel like that could be a good reason to delay our start date.
Is this possible?
In what fields have you seen medical people getting laid off?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, they aren't physicians. More like epidemiologists and stuff like that. Public health professionals and the like.

Hmm, not sure about that either. This is a public health emergency. Epidemiological data is driving our regional and national responses and policies. My wife is a med student who got sent home after AAMC shut down med school so she called the county public health department and offered to help since she has an MPH and was immediately hired as an epidemiologist.

Ultimately, you’re a doctor in a medical emergency - you won’t be losing your job lol.

The only people I've heard of having issues in my area are in aesthetics. However, they are able to find new jobs quickly as long as they are flexible. You will be fine.

One of the best qualities of a physician is the ability to stay calm and rational in the face of chaos. I see this current (temporary) state of affairs as a great growing opportunity for our incoming flock.

Very, very unfortunate, yes. Scary, not really.

You don't think faculty attendings are going to do those H&Ps and SOAP notes, themselves do you?

Otis from Andy Griffith has a better chance at long term sobriety than you do at PGY1 unemployment.

I know, I know. Residents are like "in-demand" or something. But isn't first year of residency kind of your least productive time?

Intern year is the one in which you grown the most, sleep the least, and take more ish than you would have ever dreamed of. Don't worry, they're salivating, just waiting for July 1. Show up early, ready to work.

Idk I feel like that could be a good reason to delay our start date.

So instead of going in guns blazing, ready to help any way you can, you would rather wait for someone else to do the clean up and then start?
Is this possible?

No.

Whistleblower?

One of the best qualities of a physician is the ability to stay calm and rational in the face of chaos. I see this current (temporary) state of affairs as a great growing opportunity for our incoming flock.
So I did NOT say I didn't want to work hard and be on the front lines. Lol. But thanks

So I did NOT say I didn't want to work hard and be on the front lines. Lol. But thanks

Then rest assured you will be fine.

Where are you hearing about epidemiologists or medical personnel being laid off? And where did you get the idea that residents of all people won't have jobs?

As for residents, Massachusetts just became the first state to graduate ALL M4s early to help out. NY has had some schools do the same, but may be following close behind to make it state policy as well. That should on your mind more than anything else.

Then rest assured you will be fine.

Where are you hearing about epidemiologists or medical personnel being laid off? And where did you get the idea that residents of all people won't have jobs?

As for residents, Massachusetts just became the first state to graduate ALL M4s early to help out. NY has had some schools do the same, but may be following close behind to make it state policy as well. That should on your mind more than anything else.
Are they going to approve gme funding to start them getting paid at their residencies now?

I just don't see how it helps anyone who doesn't have a residency they can start early with. Any intern needs to be supervised properly to be safe and useful and that doesn't change just because of a public health scare

That was my thought as well. Until I've gone through onboarding, I feel like I would be a burden rather than an asset right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was my thought as well. Until I've gone through onboarding, I feel like I would be a burden rather than an asset right now.
If you haven’t gone through onboarding there literally isn’t a place for you. Might as well be a knowledgeable hobo

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Some medical personnel are getting furloughed or reduced hours here if they're per diem.
Also, places are holding on doing interviews/hiring.
However, I think overall family medicine doctors will do fine once things improve and no residents don't seem to need to worry about not starting in their positions.

I will definitely need interns to see these COVID-19 patients :p.

They are paying interns 1/5 what an attending will make. Yeah, they will keep their job. Who is going to do early rounds on these covid patients? The attending surely won't and likely would never touch them.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this possible?
Residents are paid for by the federal government, which pays an absurd amount more than most residents get paid. Furthermore residents can biol when working with an attending. So not only are they paid for and then some, but you can use them to generate revenue. Residents are free labor and the absolute last thing to go in any hospital

If you haven’t gone through onboarding there literally isn’t a place for you. Might as well be a knowledgeable hobo
As we all know, it isn't medical school or residency, but rather onboarding that makes the doctor

I’ve had several colleagues laid off. Mainly as has been said, in fields like endocrinology, Derm, IR, plastics. Fields that short sighted healthcare admins seem to think are not important to pandemic response. I don’t know why they think laying off a trained internist (Endocrine) is a good idea. Redeploy that person if need be, but letting them go? Fire the CEO before you do that...

I’ve also been warned my own salary may be decreased by all this. You see production is down (partly out of necessity, but also because my employer has been all over the local media telling people to stay away from me to help blunt this “surge” that’s coming eventually. Also, the 7 figure salaried spine surgeons are all but non-operational, and we have to help keep them paid too, they’re gonna take a hit too, so I’m told not to be jealous, but it’s probably gonna be a 10% relative hit or so just like I’m prepping for.

But at the same time I’m being deputized to work a fuller spectrum. They want to call me up to the “big leagues” as some would call it, to work wards, ED, and ICU at our larger referral centers. I’ve literally been credentialed at all hospitals in our system, pre-emptively. Almost all our Family Physicians have.

We get crapped on a lot for being “just primary care“, or for being FM in general, but we have more currently severely needed skills than most physicians. And we can be plugged in almost anywhere. My bottom line may take a hit for a while, but my job is secure as long as my employer can remain operational.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Ha, jokes on you for thinking I'm knowledgeable at this point. *Badum-tsssss

We get crapped on a lot for being “just primary care“, or for being FM in general, but we have more currently severely needed skills than most physicians. And we can be plugged in almost anywhere. My bottom line may take a hit for a while, but my job is secure as long as my employer can remain operational.

To be fair, the US medical system fully knows that, even outside this crisis, primary care is the vital foundation of the whole show. But it was underpaid and undervalued and the public didn't seem particularly motivated in changing that.

Reactions: 3 users
I’ve had several colleagues laid off. Mainly as has been said, in fields like endocrinology, Derm, IR, plastics. Fields that short sighted healthcare admins seem to think are not important to pandemic response. I don’t know why they think laying off a trained internist (Endocrine) is a good idea. Redeploy that person if need be, but letting them go? Fire the CEO before you do that...

I’ve also been warned my own salary may be decreased by all this. You see production is down (partly out of necessity, but also because my employer has been all over the local media telling people to stay away from me to help blunt this “surge” that’s coming eventually. Also, the 7 figure salaried spine surgeons are all but non-operational, and we have to help keep them paid too, they’re gonna take a hit too, so I’m told not to be jealous, but it’s probably gonna be a 10% relative hit or so just like I’m prepping for.

But at the same time I’m being deputized to work a fuller spectrum. They want to call me up to the “big leagues” as some would call it, to work wards, ED, and ICU at our larger referral centers. I’ve literally been credentialed at all hospitals in our system, pre-emptively. Almost all our Family Physicians have.

Family medicine would be very valuable right now trying to keep people out of urgent care and the ED

Reactions: 2 users