Are the med schools in Puerto Rico looked in the same light as other schools in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notepreocupes

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think my GPA is good enough not to have to consider any schools like Ross, but someone had mentioned that university of puerto rico had a good med school, so I have started to consider it as a good back-up, seeing that I speak spanish. but if all carribean schools are grouped into one general pool, I would try to avoid it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think my GPA is good enough not to have to consider any schools like Ross, but someone had mentioned that university of puerto rico had a good med school, so I have started to consider it as a good back-up, seeing that I speak spanish. but if all carribean schools are grouped into one general pool, I would try to avoid it.

The Puerto Rico medical school is LCME-accredited. So, it is not grouped as a Carib. school (which are NOT LCME-accredited).

Nope. The PR schools are LCME accredited and aren't the ones folks talk about when referring to "offshore" or "caribbean" schools. They should be looked at by you along with the other accredited US and Canadian schools. Meaning they don't have the same residency hurdles or stigmas that the non-accredited places face.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. But in terms of applying for residency, do you think there is there a subconscious bias against people who attended med school in the carribean, even if the school is LCME-accredited?

Good point. But in terms of applying for residency, do you think there is there a subconscious bias against people who attended med school in the carribean, even if the school is LCME-accredited?

No. The bias exists is because people go to "caribbean" schools because they can't get into something accredited. That isn't the issue with PR schools.

No. The bias exists is because people go to "caribbean" schools because they can't get into something accredited. That isn't the issue with PR schools.

colloquial spelling

I know everyone has an anecdote for both sides of every issue, but the derm practice that I work for recently got our Mohs surgery fellow for the next year. He graduated from the University of Puerto Rico and has obviously done beautifully to match into derm and then into a Mohs fellowship, so I think you should find solace in what others have told you.

It's a great choice for you to consider.

Do they teach in Spanish?

They reportedly do. So you'd better be really fluent. Because medicine is hard enough in a language you are already good at.
:laugh: Thats what I was thinking about. I speak, read and write spanish but learned it in a non-medical setting and the first time I had to translate when I was volunteering I was at a big loss for words. I can only imagine what med school would be like :scared:

I've heard rumors that they interview in spanish too. I don't know for certain though.

Rumor is that you have to fight a chupacabra during the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are "merit" scholarships based on how well you dispatch the chupacabra?

Doesn't matter if the first two years are in Spanish, but the clinical years probably will be. What kind of learning experience would it be otherwise if you couldn't understand what "your" patients were saying?

Do they teach in Spanish?

I am currently a third year at the University of Puerto Rico so maybe I can help answer a couple of questions. There are currently 4 accredited med schools on the island so if you decide to apply then by all means apply to the three private med schools (Ponce, UCC and San Juan Bautista). UPR is a state school and as such they will mostly accept island residents or those with "strong ties" to the island.
Lectures may be taught in english or in spanish, depending on the particular lecturer's preference. In my school I would say about half are in english and half are in spanish. Now, being accredited by the LCME means that ALL quizzes, lecture notes, handouts, exams and other written material are in english, period. The school is required to do so as part of the accreditation process and because the USMLE is in english. All faculty and all students are perfectly fluent in both english and spanish. One of my current classmates barely spoke a word of spanish when she began (married to a graduate from the school so she met the "strong ties" policy) and now after almost 3 years she is perfectly fluent in spanish also. So dont let that be a deterrent, it can be done, even if you barely speak a word of the language.

Being a mostly spanish speaking island most clinical contact WILL be in spanish. The good news is that clinical contact will be fairly limited and supervised the first two years but by the time third year rolls along you will have had enough exposure and practice to not make it an issue.

USMLE step score are pretty much on par with med schools in the US. As part of an orientation seminar offered to students about to take the USMLE they told us that for the last few years my school has had a passing percentage at or slightly above 90% for all first time USMLE step 1 test takers. Not bad at all. Most people interested in PR are worried that it might affect their chances of landing a "good residency". As far as I can tell that is not the case. I know of graduates who were accepted to Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, Boston General and so forth. Most the most well known and respected programs have had graduates of PR schools in their programs. You can do a search and find out for yourself.
My school in particular has many programs with well known medical institutions from around the US. Every year we have students go to Mayo clinic, MD Anderson and other institutions for research. Two of my classmates were accepted to a joint MD/ PhD program with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester pending USMLE scores. MD Anderson is constructing a huge cancer center right next to the school which will open up more opportunities for research for those that are interested. This year the school has a new Dean, Walter Frontera, who was a chair at Harvard (you can google him if you like). He is currently exploring the possibilty of joint programs and research between both schools, so that is something interesting.

Now in the past there have been certain problems with certain residency directors (mostly small programs in the midwest) who thought that PR graduates were FMG's. Fortunately the LCME has taken steps to avoid this and has sent letters to all accredited residency directors clarifying that PR schools are considered US schools. That was probably around 10 years ago, I havent heard of any recent situations where this might be still happening, although I'm pretty sure it might still be a problem in certain areas of the US, especially where the hispanic population is small or nonexistent.

I am originally from the northeast US (have family here though) so what is my take on the island? The people here are pretty social and nice, there is always something going on somewhere. They party pretty hard down here, even in mid semester. We have a tradition of "celebrating" after each and every exam. Its a pretty safe bet to say that every couple of weeks there will be a group of first and second year med students drunk by a pool somewhere. I still have to get used to beach weather in the middle of December but who am I to complain. :cool:
My point in all of this is not to boast or make it better than it is. In the end med school is what you make of it, it can be the best time of your life or the most miserable. For most students it's a combination of both :laugh:. Probably the most difficult part is getting used to the local culture, but even that is part of the fun.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Although I am currently in the middle of studying for the USMLE step 1, I will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Last edited:
Are residencies typically done in PR or in the USA?

Are residencies typically done in PR or in the USA?

PR graduates can do residencies in PR or in the US. The same goes for US mainland graduates, they can do residencies in the US or in PR via the match. Residencies on the island are accredited by the ACGME, the agency responsible for accrediting all residency programs in the US and Canada.
I know that as of 2008 the University of Puerto Rico has 38 fully accredited residency programs in all specialties.

Are the interviews conducted in spanish or english?

Would it be a detriment to you to apply if your spanish is not as strong as other candidates? Does anyone know the percentage of applicants that are accepted from outside the island?

Would you feel you were a good candidate for a mainland school if your English were not as good as other candidates? If you are unable to speak to the majority of patients in their native language then you might not be a good fit for that school.

The MSAR may have information on the proportion of applicants admitted from "out of state" to each PR schools.

Would you feel you were a good candidate for a mainland school if your English were not as good as other candidates? If you are unable to speak to the majority of patients in their native language then you might not be a good fit for that school.

The MSAR may have information on the proportion of applicants admitted from "out of state" to each PR schools.
This may be true, but as with mainland medical schools, students who are ESL are accepted despite the fact that their language skills are not as strong. I am more interested in how much consideration is placed on this, potentially from someone who has applied and been given an interview.