Are there a list of DO school rankings out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingsmen2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title, which ones are recognized as the best and worst? If so can u please throw in a link.

Members don't see this ad.

The US news has some rankings on med school based on research and primary care. I thought that it includes DO schools but didn’t see any when I was just looking...

US News ranks a few, but besides that not really. Though if there were one, schools that have been around a long time, get more rrsearch funding, or have official state support would rank higher than newer schools or those with a narrower mission focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
In short, no. Not officially. "Best" and "Worst" is awfully subjective, though.

Think about what matters to you. Is it location? Research opportunities? Rotation quality? Access to certain residencies/residency placement? Affiliations? Teaching style? We can certainly help customize a "best fit" list if there are certain things that matter a lot to you.

Reactions: 4 users
There are a few different sites that ranks medical US News, SDN, and some smaller sites as well. Finding the information about how they come up with their rankings could be helpful.

There are no official rankings for DO. But here's the general consensus:

Top tier DO schools: Original 5, public schools

Middle tier DO schools: Schools that opened in the ~70's

Bottom tier DO schools: Schools that opened up after 2000.

Reactions: 1 users
Rankings of medical schools mean next to nothing. I could give you many examples of doctors that went to top tier schools and totally suck as physicians. Not too long ago a hospital in my area hired one of these guys. Awesome pedigree. Only after he killed three people in surgery in one month did they actually start paying attention to the lawsuits that were pending against him and his history of not getting along with anyone. But, the hospital thought all that stuff looked good... at the time.

Look for the place where you are the most comfortable and where you fit in the best. If money is your biggest concern then choose the cheapest school. Your education is what you make of it. Great people graduate from every school. All this crap about rankings and prestige means NOTHING. None of that will make you a good doctor. Only YOU will make you a good doctor.

Reactions: 2 users