Are there any countries were a US trained doc can work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yankeedanielo

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About me: US Citizen, US medschool, US residency, US fellowship, US board Certified, 4 years of experience as an attending in a US academic medical center in a surgical subspecialty. US board Certified.

I'm just sick of living in the US. No reason, just would like some more interesting life experience.

Does anyone know of any countries where someone with my credentials could work. I'm fine studying for exams, but I don't want to do any more residency.

I know working in other countries as a doc is highly restricted. Just figured I'd ask.
 
About me: US Citizen, US medschool, US residency, US fellowship, US board Certified, 4 years of experience as an attending in a US academic medical center in a surgical subspecialty. US board Certified.

I'm just sick of living in the US. No reason, just would like some more interesting life experience.

Does anyone know of any countries where someone with my credentials could work. I'm fine studying for exams, but I don't want to do any more residency.

I know working in other countries as a doc is highly restricted. Just figured I'd ask.
Canada is a possibility as long as you have done your residency that is equivalent ..appears you have. You also have to become certified but I would guess its just a test from what I have heard. The person who did it was a family doctor and always wanted to return home. They finished their residency and started the process.....I would assume it would be similar in the UK and Australia and Singapore.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
About me: US Citizen, US medschool, US residency, US fellowship, US board Certified, 4 years of experience as an attending in a US academic medical center in a surgical subspecialty. US board Certified.

I'm just sick of living in the US. No reason, just would like some more interesting life experience.

Does anyone know of any countries where someone with my credentials could work. I'm fine studying for exams, but I don't want to do any more residency.

I know working in other countries as a doc is highly restricted. Just figured I'd ask.

Canada, New Zealand, Australia, England, Ireland, South Africa, UAE, Saudi Arabia. Most won't need you to take any exams.

US tax law will require you to pay both taxes in the US and the country you work in for anything over about 90k.
 
Canada, New Zealand, Australia, England, Ireland, South Africa, UAE, Saudi Arabia. Most won't need you to take any exams.

US tax law will require you to pay both taxes in the US and the country you work in for anything over about 90k.
Thanks
 
Thanks you always seem on the ball with this stuff.


I am Canadian so yeah looking through the IRS website isn't typically what I choose to do with my day.


You didn't tell me you are Canadian. So Canada does not make you pay Canadian taxes if working outside Canada. US taxes would not matter because you would be working outside the US. You would only pay the taxes of that country.
 
You didn't tell me you are Canadian. So Canada does not make you pay Canadian taxes if working outside Canada. US taxes would not matter because you would be working outside the US. You would only pay the taxes of that country.
The name suggests it but yeah. If I work in the US for residency do I get double taxed